Westerdam cabins

kiwicruiser

We're looking at booking the Westerdam 24 night Black Sea and Egypt cruise departing Rotterdam in September. We have cruised Princess heaps of times but have no experience of HAL. Just love this itinerary.

Has anyone sailed this cruise or similar? Any comments?

Any suggestions re cabin selection? Is booking a suite rather than a verandah worth the extra cost?

Should we book a port or starboard stateroom? Aft or Midships? We like to be quay side when in port.

We're in our mid 50's and have been told that we will be out of place on HAL as the age group is much older.

We live in New Zealand with not much exposure to HAL here so any comments and suggestions are really appreciated.

Some of the seasoned pros will have to answer most of your questions, but I'll comment on a couple of items.

My wife and I sailed on HAL last January...we were 31 years old. Yes, we were by far much younger than pretty much anyone else on the ship. Did we feel out of place?...Absolutely NOT! If you are looking for a relaxed, upscale atmosphere, you will enjoy. We are back on HAL (on the Westerdam) this coming January.

As to the worth of a Deluxe suite...well, we were spoiled by our first experience in a Penthouse...can't afford that this time around, but I would say that the suite amenities and the space are worth it for me. My thought is book the best you can afford, but I also don't get to cruise often, due to schedule, so when I do, it's going to be nice. If I was able to cruise multiple times a year I may consider lesser accomodations.

We're looking at booking the Westerdam 24 night Black Sea and Egypt cruise departing Rotterdam in September. We have cruised Princess heaps of times but have no experience of HAL. Just love this itinerary.

Has anyone sailed this cruise or similar? Any comments?

Any suggestions re cabin selection? Is booking a suite rather than a verandah worth the extra cost?

Should we book a port or starboard stateroom? Aft or Midships? We like to be quay side when in port.

We're in our mid 50's and have been told that we will be out of place on HAL as the age group is much older.

We live in New Zealand with not much exposure to HAL here so any comments and suggestions are really appreciated.

I had a small chuckle when I read your post kiwicruiser. Not at your expense, let me add, but at who ever told you you'd be out of place being in your mid 50's.:) I just turned 57 a week ago today.

In the 2 years that we've been cruising with HAL I can say that we were right smack in the middle of the age differencial. I'd say 1/3 the passengers were anywhere from 3-40's and 1/3 were older than 65.

I've not done the cruise you are asking about, so will stick to the stateroom.

The questions you need to ask yourself are, Do I want to enjoy a view when I first awaken without getting dressed. Do I want to mix with people every time I want to enjoy a view or a quick bite or drink (thinking room service here)? And other such questions that might make a difference in your enjoyment of your 24 night cruise to a beautiful region of the world.

My choice is at minimum a Deck 5 VF Large Ocean View Stateroom, because they have the smoked plexi-glass verandahs and I can sit for hours enjoying the views. (I prefer Deck 6 and 7 though)

Though I must say that I ADORE the Deluxe Verandah Suite Stateroom due to its larger floor space and tons more storage space.

Also midship because you do not get the bow or aft movement that seems to upset some folks. And in our case, both our cruises we had starboard side (even #'s) and that was the side that was facing the ports. (but I've seen others here state that the opposite has also been true for them.)

Joanie

We have cruised on the Westerdam for the last 3 years in a row and always choose Cabin 6099 which is a Superior Suite and it is a great location. We have always chosen not to upgrade if offered. Guess that tells you we like the cabin and the ship.

Can't answer any other questions about the itinerary you are interested in, sorry.

We just go off the Westerdam on November 8th (2 weeks). We had the Superior Suite and loved it. (approximately 400 sq. ft. including balcony). The extra room was great for 2 weeks. If I had a choice I would recommend going for the extra room, especially as you will be on a longer cruise. A couple of our friends had the Deluxe Suite (about 500 sq. ft.) and it was great. The difference in size was not that big a deal, but they hosted cocktail parties in their room with appetizers that was catered by the Neptune Lounge. I must say that they all raved about the additional perks of the Deluxe Suite, including the free laundry/dry cleaning, Neptune Lounge and Concierge.

The ship was beautiful. The staff was the best I have ever experienced. The food was great (perhaps a little too great).

Your cruise is a long one, so I would guess that there will be even fewer younger folk than normal. We had a fair number of kids on our cruise the first week, and less the second week, but mid-50's should not be a problem.

Happy cruising.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

It's not that we don't think mid 50's is getting up there in age, it's just that on a recent P&O cruise we were told by the Art Auctioneer that most people who go on HAL cruises are in their 80's so it has been great to have that clarified.

Thanks for the advice on the cabin choice - looks like a Superior Suite is the way to go.

that most people who go on HAL cruises are in their 80's

Horse pucky!

We are also mid 50s, have done 7 or 8 cruises on HAL. It is our preferred provider. The last cruise, last month was Venice to Rome on Princess. We told them we're going back to HAL. Princess just doesn't have the polish that HAL has. As for demographics, I wouldn't say mid 50s is the median age, but you will definitely not be out of place.

Just booked the 24 night cruise and went with a Superior Suite - 6092. There were only three SY choices as the ship is filling fast. Apparently Port is the side to have in the Med. Now counting down!

Thanks for all the advice.

I have photos for you to see of

SY 6055 Superior Verandah Stateroom Deck 6 Upper Verandah Deck and

SY 6104 Superior Verandah Stateroom Deck 6 Upper Verandah Deck http://abqreunion2008.com/Westerdam/index.html both are duplicates of your stateroom (except the locations are different, obviously;)) just so you can see what it will look like inside and from the verandah.

Joanie

Thanks for the advice everyone.

It's not that we don't think mid 50's is getting up there in age, it's just that on a recent P&O cruise we were told by the Art Auctioneer that most people who go on HAL cruises are in their 80's so it has been great to have that clarified.

Thanks for the advice on the cabin choice - looks like a Superior Suite is the way to go.

We are now 55 and 63 and have been cruising on HAL for 25 years. ALWAYS had a great time and met wonderful people. What we always remember is the fact that even 25 years ago (when we were quite young) we were unable to keep up with the fun-loving "older" folks that we spent time with. You'll love it! Have a great time.

I am also in my 50s (closing in on 60s :() and found the mix of passengers on the Westerdam to be wonderful. As was said, sometimes it's hard to keep up with the older folks, they are so active and fun-loving. My other cruises have been with Princess and I have to give HAL the edge in just about every category. Even though I had a fully obstructed view outside cabin, I can say that the space was larger and better laid out, the bed was WAY more comfortable, the cleaning and room service were both better and I loved the "feel" of the ship.

Have a super cruise.

Hi , my mom and I will be sailing the Westerdam in 3 weeks and just found out we have an aft cabin on deck 7(cabin 7140) I have never had a balcony room and was wandering what to expect especially with it being an aft room. This will be my 3rd HAL cruise and Im 41 and have never felt out of place, my family and took a Carnival cruise this Summer while I was pleasantly surprised with the expreiences we had , I am looking forward to a more relaxed low key cruise just before the holidays on HAL.

You will LOVE having a balcony but it will spoil you from now on because you will never cruise again without one.

I can't comment on HAL balconies as I've never sailed with them, but on Princess the balconies were great (I think HAL's balconies are larger). There's nothing like waking up in the morning and stepping out onto the balcony and enjoying the sea breeze and view.

Not sure about AFT - some people say that it can be rockier towards the back. We've never found it so but we tend not to notice the motion of the ship wherever we are.

Enjoy! I would be really interested to hear back from you after your Westerdam experience.

You will LOVE having a balcony but it will spoil you from now on because you will never cruise again without one.
Plus, the stern balconies on the Westerdam are deeper than the side balconies, and have loungers (which the sides don't have room for), so you will have a hard time going to a side balcony in the future. (Other than a Suite, that is.) :D

We've cruised twice to Alaska on the Westerdam and are cruising to the Caribbean in Jan. We had and will have SB/7088 again. The balconey is bigger and the extra room and ammenities are great. With the long trip you are taking and if you can afford a Deluxe Suite I would do it. The laundry service is great. Have a wonderful cruise.:)

• 2 weeks later...

I can't comment on HAL balconies as I've never sailed with them, but on Princess the balconies were great (I think HAL's balconies are larger). There's nothing like waking up in the morning and stepping out onto the balcony and enjoying the sea breeze and view.

Not sure about AFT - some people say that it can be rockier towards the back. We've never found it so but we tend not to notice the motion of the ship wherever we are.

Enjoy! I would be really interested to hear back from you after your Westerdam experience.

I agree with the poster that once you have a balcony, you will never go back. LOL. We have done 3 cruises, the first 2 on Carnival Ocean View, and the last was Celebrity with a balcony. I am spoiled. We booked a guaranteed balcony on the Eurodam for 12/19/09. I got spoiled because when we left port, we would sit out on the balcony with a bottle of wine and watch stuff like cargo being loaded onto the ship, other passengers returning from their excursions, and other dokside activities.

I can't wait for 12/18 to get here.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Dear IRL Joanie,

We are going on the Westerdam for a long cruise and chose the 5th deck VA balcony, the tailfin balconies that face the wake of the ship. We've heard, and seen photos, that this deck has the biggest balconies ..... yet you wrote your prefer deck 6 or 7 . Why is that ?

Thanks !!!

Jeanne

Archived