What is the best rum and tequila in the Caribbean?

Ashleyyy

DH and I are going on a cruise next month and the father in law wants us to bring him back a good bottle of rum and tequila for Christmas. We're leaving from Puerto Rico and going to St. Thomas, Dominica, Barbados, St. Lucia, Antigua and St. Kitts. Any recommendations on the brand and where to get it at?

Thank you! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Has to be Barbados for proper dark rum. Cockspur's 5 star is probably the best but may take a little hunting. Or Mount Gay is very acceptable, widely available or tour the distillery & get a bottle there.

But tequila ? Any produced in the Caribbean will be about as authentic as US Budweiser

John Bull

DH and I are going on a cruise next month and the father in law wants us to bring him back a good bottle of rum and tequila for Christmas. We're leaving from Puerto Rico and going to St. Thomas, Dominica, Barbados, St. Lucia, Antigua and St. Kitts. Any recommendations on the brand and where to get it at?

Thank you!

A good rum will be El Dorado 15 year old. It has won many awards. Allot of islands in the Caribbean including the island I live in produce rum. Ask 10 different people in the Caribbean what rum is the best and you will get 10 different answers. My favorite is Angostura 1919 and yes it is made in Trinidad:) Most popular rums are available in most of the islands.

Thank you! :)

Two things to remember:

You have to check it to get it home so plan accordingly. If you buy in the airport in San Juan after clearing security you can carry it on the plane.

I have found the best prices to be in St. Thomas (of where you are stopping), plus you can bring more back duty free if it is purchased there.

Two things to remember:

You have to check it to get it home so plan accordingly. If you buy in the airport in San Juan after clearing security you can carry it on the plane.

I have found the best prices to be in St. Thomas (of where you are stopping), plus you can bring more back duty free if it is purchased there.

Quite right, zqvol, I'd overlooked the duty. I'll still stand by Barbados rum, but buy it in St T.

John Bull

Archived