Speciality dining prices on the Eurodam?

WeRockChalkKU

Pinnacle Grill lunch is $10, dinner $20

Tamarind lunch is free, dinner $15. Rijsttafel dinner is $20

Canaletto does not serve lunch and is free for dinner.

Reservations are suggested at Canaletto, and strongly suggested at the PG and Tamarind. In fact, if you don't make PG and Tamarind reservations early in the cruise you may be shut out. You can make dinner reservations for the PG and Tamarind on-line or by phone, but not lunch.

Pinnacle Grill lunch is $10, dinner $20

Tamarind lunch is free, dinner $15. Rijsttafel dinner is $20

Canaletto does not serve lunch and is free for dinner.

Reservations are suggested at Canaletto, and strongly suggested at the PG and Tamarind. In fact, if you don't make PG and Tamarind reservations early in the cruise you may be shut out. You can make dinner reservations for the PG and Tamarind on-line or by phone, but not lunch.

Thanks for the quick response. What's the Rijsttafel dinner? Haven't heard about that one.

Thanks for the link - looks wonderful. When on the cruise is it offered?
I don't know, but I don't think it is every night. Ask the Maitre d' on boarding day if you want to try it.

One side of the restaurant is dedicated to the Rijsttafel, while the other side is normal order-from-the-menu. That means everyone in your party has to get it. You are given one very large plate, empty, and a "parade" of waitresses come by. Each places a spoonful or two each dish around a central mound of rice. There is a small card (like a menu) left on the table throughout the meal describing each dish. You get a portion of everything on that card/menu. The dishes range from very spicy (satay) to very bland, so there is something for all tastes. Most are mid-range. After everyone is served, the waitresses form a line for a photo-op! :) Not only is the food great, the whole "ritual" is interesting. See pic below, and note the size of the plates. By the time they are finished serving, that plate is very full!

Also, I'm asking the dreaded tipping question for all the speciality restaurants...anyone care to respond to that?
At the risk of being called a liar or a braggart (again) I leave $7.50 to $10 per person, depending on service, in both the PG and Tamarind. I haven't yet eaten in any Canaletto, so I'm not sure what I will leave there. Probably around $5 pp - the same as I leave in the PG for lunch.

attachment.php?attachmentid=93628&d=1224380999

Definetly give the Rijsttafel a try. It is definetly worth it!...if not for the food, then for the experience in itself. We tried it last January on the Eurodam, I believe it was just seven of us between two tables that were served that evening. It was great.

Although there are only 5 waitresses in the pic, they each come by at least twice IIRC, with different dishes.

I believe it was just seven of us between two tables that were served that evening.
So there were other tables nearby that were not getting the Rijsttafel? If so, that's different than the case we had in Oct '08. I had heard something later on about people being able get it any night, with a large enough group, and ordered at least a day in advance. That sounds like your case??

I want to say that we made the arrangements at the Neptune a couple of nights prior to the eve that we wished to dine. I don't recall it only being available certain nights, unless my request happen to fall on a night it was being served. We were seved in an area that almost seemed like a corridor between the two sides of the dining room?...does that make sense? I'm quite sure it was only our table of 5 and an additional table of two beside us.

Tamarind for lunch may be free but still outstanding.

AGREE. It may be offered only on sea days. Try to do it once!

Thanks for the link - looks wonderful. When on the cruise is it offered?

Also, I'm asking the dreaded tipping question for all the speciality restaurants...anyone care to respond to that?

Thanks for everyones responses.

I was on the Baltic Transatlantic B2B in August. HAL gave those on the B2B a free Pinnacle Grill or Tamarind on certain days. (those they expected a lower demand) The Rijsttafel was not offered.

I was at the Pinnacle on the Rotterdam. My luck that was not one of their better nights. I ordered the Porterhouse and was brought the ribeye. I mentioned it to the waiter who took the ribeye and my vegetables. Ten minutes later he brought the porterhouse. Parts were from rear to well done on the same steak ( I asked for medium) and the vegetables were cold.:(

The maître d' said tips were part of the service fee.

I agree with the other posters on the Canaletto.

I called HAL to ask what nights they served the Rijsttafal and they contacted the Eurodam. I guess it must be offered every night? Here's their reply :

Good Afternoon,

We serve Rijsttafel at 7.00. We make it fix seating since we have to serve in the same time. The price for this is $ 20 per person. And we serve set menu.

Please don’t be hesitate if there is anything else I can assist you with, let me know

Kind Regards,

Pipit Hanapiah

Tamarind Manager

• 4 weeks later...

Archived