Question about luggage tags

carlyshenk

We usually drive to Florida when we cruise. But we're leaving from San Juan and we bought our airline tickets through Celebrity. We just received our documents and I'm wondering when do we put the luggage tags on our bags. We're flying in on the day we leave which is making me nervous, but that's a whole other thread :) We also have transfers to the ship through Celebrity. Do we put our tags on our bags before we board the plane or do we put them on at baggage claim when we pick them up? We don't have a direct flight. We have to change planes in Philadelphia. I'm really getting nervous about this whole thing. We always get to the port at least a day ahead of when we sail. Due to our work schedules, we had to fly in the same day this time.

Thanks in advance for any advice given.

Carol

Carol, if you are being met at the airport by personnel from Celebrity then I would put the luggage tags on each bags after you claim them at the San Juan airport. If you are getting your own transporation then when you arrive at the pier place the tags on your luggage.

Do not place them on any earlier such as when fly to avoid them being destroyed, partially or fully torn off your bag.

Keith

Even if they do say you can put your tags on prior to your flight- don't.

Think about it, don't you want to VERIFY your bags made it to your destination?? Claim them yourself. IF they are missing, you are way ahead of the game with a search compared to if you miss them from the ship and having them transferred.

Tag your bags between picking them up after your flight and before the porter drop off.

Also be sure to include in each bag a copy of your ship information and itinerary since you'll be "moving on" the same day you arrive. I've never NEEDED this information, but it doesn't hurt to include it inside your luggage.

I strengthen the cruise luggage tags by covering them with clear tape and putting 2 on each checked bag. One attached to the handle and one taped to the bag itself. You can always make more tags with a color copier.

Lost tags is a major reason some bags are misplaced.

As stated above, I also make a complete list of where I'm traveling and when and put it in each checked bag. So far so good on that.

I travel with a small roll of clear tape for making repairs along the way and for retagging the bags for our journey home.

Archived