Topkapi Palace Opening Hours

We arrive Istanbul on Westerdam on Monday 20th September 2010 and also have the following day in Port.

I'm aware that the Palace is closed on a Tuesday but some websites report that it's open in summer months until 7 pm on a Monday.

Does anyone know if summer months means September and if so, will we have enough time once the ship docks to visit (and do justice to) the palace on the Monday?

You are in luck because summer months run through the end of September. Be sure to purchase your ticket and get inside before 6 PM.

The time you will need for your visit really depends on your interest level. I personally believe that you need three hours minimum, but even two hours is better than no visit at all to this incredible site. (Your post does not state when your ship arrives in port on Monday so I do not know how much time you have.)

We were there last week. A couple of suggestions...They start to close wings and lock doors half an hour before closing time. You can finish what you are looking at but can't go anywhere new 30 minutes prior to stated closing. When you get off the ship there is one heavily used bank machine with a very slow moving line. I would suggest having preprinted directions and walking directly to Topkapi. Use an ATM along the way so you have money for admission. The trams are packed at that hour, so if you are fit, I'd suggest walking. It's uphill but not that far. You really need at least 2 hours to see everything. After closing we stayed in the vacinity and had a beer at a rooftop cafe and watched the monuments light up. It was beautiful. I loved Istanbul, have a wonderful time!!

Thanks for the help. Our ship arrives 4 pm so hopefully that will give us enough time to be inside the palace by 6 pm.

The tram ride is very fast, should take you about 15 minutes from the port to the gates of Topkapi; I personally definitely would not walk. Our ship was docked very far north/east in the dock area (because the ships dock parallel rather than nose in, thus taking up a lot of space), and it would have been too much for us to walk the several miles. If you are close to the Galata Bridge, a walk would not be so bad. There are many ATM machines right ouside the port gates because the street running parallet to the port is a major one, with many banks.

The tram is not any worse than the NYC subway at rush hour; just be sure to wear a moneybelt so you do not have to worry about pickpockets.

Thanks for all the great advice. A couple more questions please...

At the port - is the tram to the palace easy to find - is it signed or is there a tram number we should look for?

Given the tight time frame that we have to see the palace, is there anything that is a MUST see that we should go to first so we don't miss seeing it.

I think we might try to get some Turkish lira prior to the cruise so that we don't have to worry trying to find an ATM when we get to port.

There is only one tram line where the ships dock. Just be sure to take the one headed for the bridge (Galata bridge). It's very, very easy to do.

Most people find the jewels/treasury to be the most interesting display in Topkapi Palace. The harem quarters are also interesting, but arriving at that time, I'm not sure you'll be able to see them at that time of day. I also enjoyed the kitchens (with all the beautiful ceramics) and the hall with all the paintings of the sultans.

Supplementing Cynthia's excellent response, the tram running southwest is the one you want. The one running northeast says "Kabatas" (the last stop) on the front; you want the one running the other way toward the Sultanahmet area across the Galata Bridge, which has a longer name for its last stop on the front, which I simply cannot remember!

Archived