What time should I get to the port?

themadzins

Hello.

This is my first cruise. What time should I get to the port so that I may board as soon and as quickly as possible?

Thanks for your insight!

Kathleen

Which port, and when is your ship leaving?

Here is a generic answer: If the ship is due to arrive at port, discharge "last weeks" passengers and get a new bunch, the ship usually arrives between 6-8 a.m. and the next cruise is to leave around 4-6 p.m.

If that is the case for you -- then many of us start arriving at the port around 11 a.m., and signing in usually starts around 11:30. If you have all your paperwork in order, it's relatively quick, and you'll find yourself on the ship (carrying around your carry-on luggage, as the cabins won't be ready yet), eating lunch, having a nice cool one, starting your vacation.

It depends which cruse line. I can only speak to the lines I have cruised before, Carnival and Royal Caribbean. They usually won't allow you to go to your stateroom to put away your carry on belongings until 1pm (for a 5pm sail away). You can check out the rest of the ship, but you will have to lug your carry on stuff with you. Usually, we try to arrive at the port around 12 or 12:30 to allow time for check in and then we head to the buffet for lunch. That way the can go straight to our room afterwards to drop off our stuff and go explore! Have a wonderful first cruise!

In most embarkation situations, I've learned after much trial and error, to wait until about 1pm -- usually you just walk in -- no lines, no hassles.

I realize that some folks say they want to board earlier to "stretch the cruise experience as long as possible." Good for them. To me, the serenenty of a peaceful, easy boarding trumps that.

To each his (or her) own.

I'm feeling a bit nervous as we realized today that our flight is actually getting in on the same day our cruise leaves...my husband thought he booked it the day before but there's nothing we can do now since it was thru priceline and it's a non-stop flight to PR..our ship is suppose to leave at 8:30 p.m. and we get to PR at 4:10. Will we be on time or is there a cut off time for boarding the ship? We understand that the Celebrity is also going but we heard great things about Serenade by RCL so we need some advice. and btw, this is our first cruise ever. it's a gift from my husbands family for his 50th! We are excited but have never cruised so don't know anything about what it's like...

I'm feeling a bit nervous as we realized today that our flight is actually getting in on the same day our cruise leaves...my husband thought he booked it the day before but there's nothing we can do now since it was thru priceline and it's a non-stop flight to PR..our ship is suppose to leave at 8:30 p.m. and we get to PR at 4:10. Will we be on time or is there a cut off time for boarding the ship? We understand that the Celebrity is also going but we heard great things about Serenade by RCL so we need some advice. and btw, this is our first cruise ever. it's a gift from my husbands family for his 50th! We are excited but have never cruised so don't know anything about what it's like...

I THINK you'll be OK! It'll be close, though! Generally you have to be on the ship no later than 90 minutes before it is to set sail...so if it's leaving at 8:30 p.m., that would be 7 p.m.

Have you figured out your transportation from the airport to the port where the ship is? Ive never been to PR, so have no idea, but that would be important to find out.

This site has a section on ports -- I'm sure someone there would know. I think this link http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=131

will get you there.

Have a great cruise!

It depends on what you want. If you want to be amoung the 1st on ship, get to the port around 11 but understand you will wait.

If you want to breeze on board with no lines arrive around 1 b/c everybody who had to be 1st will already be on board & the late comers won't be there yet. If it's a late (10 pm) departure, you can push back your arrival time even more.

So....what do you do if you have to check out of your room at a certain time? According to Carnival's site, embarkation starts at 12:30 for FLL.

Check out is at 11. Will we have access to a waiting area at the port or would it be better if we wait in the hotel lobby or pool?

Archived