Live from ... Oasis of the Seas (Photos, First Impressions, Vignettes)

On the VOS, last December, Johnny Rockets was very crowded and I could not sit anywhere the first time I tried. On the second try, much later that afternoon, I was able to sit outside and enjoy the friendliness of the crew as they danced and smiled their way through their job. I have good memories of this meal with the smiley face ketchup...

I appreciated your comments on the Livestream walk trough of the Oasis, when you mentioned that the fish appeared dry and might need that sauce; the note about the grill buffet pre-prepared should be a lesson to the food service staff. I was surprised when you didn't mention that the deletion of the tray was actually an attempt at cutting cost and waste of food...or so we were told on our last cruise.

Keep'em coming!

Thanks, Fighterone! Lovely insights. Didn't know that about RCI and trays in the buffet....

One thing I came away with that really was interesting is how much the ship really is trying to get people to go just about everywhere BUT the Windjammer! Lots of options. Definitely though you can see that the dining trend onboard is moving away from all food, all the time to more "regular" (as in daily life eateries on land) meals....

Carolyn

On the VOS, last December, Johnny Rockets was very crowded and I could not sit anywhere the first time I tried. On the second try, much later that afternoon, I was able to sit outside and enjoy the friendliness of the crew as they danced and smiled their way through their job. I have good memories of this meal with the smiley face ketchup...

I appreciated your comments on the Livestream walk trough of the Oasis, when you mentioned that the fish appeared dry and might need that sauce; the note about the grill buffet pre-prepared should be a lesson to the food service staff. I was surprised when you didn't mention that the deletion of the tray was actually an attempt at cutting cost and waste of food...or so we were told on our last cruise.

Keep'em coming!

There will always be problems when a ship starts off, though by next September, the kinks will likely be worked out, and the Oasis is still a new experience. There will be a lot for you to enjoy next year.

Guess it's all relative! I envy those who are booked on this ship and sure wish I were sailing on her. I appreciate all the comments, even those who may appear to be negative. They will just help me plan better for the day I do have the opportunity to sail on her. I started reading this thread hours ago and I am not moving until I finish it.

I refuse to sail on ships I have been on, now, unless there is a last minute cruise to nowhere out of Galveston. I am willing to travel to experience newer ships. Same ole' finally got old out of my close to home port.

Also I'm baffled. Looking at your signature line, you have cruised four times with NCL. IMHO they are the king of surcharges. We just cruised with them again back in July. More surcharges than any other cruise line that I have sailed.

Yes we have been on NCL 4 times - and I agree that they are the worst of the nickle and dime. HOWEVER, they charge a fraction of the cost of RCCL. So when planning our vacation, we take into account the difference. On a typical NCL cruise we will pay for dining 3 or 4 times. That is a cost of about $2-300 for a family of 4. So we take that into account when making our choices.

We do the same for Carnival (we know we will eat in the Grill 1 night), etc.

My point is simply that Oasis has been priced at the top of the top mass market, and then they are offering a huge percentage of pay restaurants.

I'm curious about the zip line. How do they strap you in? Is there a line like the flowrider to get on? I read somewhere the you need reservations to get into shows, is that true? So, Oasis comes in every Saturday? I wish it was Sunday because that's the day I'm coming in for my cruise. It would be cool to see Oasis landing in Fort lauderdale.

Archived