Live from ... Oasis of the Seas (Photos, First Impressions, Vignettes)

It wouldn't be a trip to the boardwalk without a few cheesy photobooth snaps, and there's just such a machine near the carousel here. Swipe your card ($5 for color or b&w) and smile. A female voice counts down six times so you can perfect your poses. Pics developed in seconds. Silly splurge and I seem alone in my interest thus far, but hey ... when in Rome (or, at the Boardwalk)...

Oasis-of-the-Seas-Boardwalk-Photos-Machine.jpg

I'm trying to figure out who this is going to work with the cabin door opening outward into the corridor. I can see someone walking down the hall and a door open........... SMACK.

It actually works very well. It appears the cabin arrangement and corridor setup on OASIS is exactly the same as on CELEBRITY SOLSTICE. Every set of two cabin doors is recessed from the hall. This way they don't hit anyone when opening. On the SOLSTICE, if you had a connecting cabin there were two outer doors in the hall that could be closed. If the cabins were not connecting, then no outer doors. Also, every other cabin has the bed position reversed (by the balcony or bathroom) and OASIS appears to be the same.

I've also closely examined the interior of the cabins on OASIS and SOLSTICE, and they are almost identical including the bathroom (which is great). I think the SOLSTICE cabin and bath have a nicer finish, but this is to be expected as it's the more premium cruise line.

Ernie

eroller-web.jpg

The original plan for Central Park called for it to have grassy places, just like sister line Celebrity has on its Solstice and Equinox. But because Central Park only gets three hours of sun per day, on average, RCI decided to go with trees and bushes.

It's not narrow, dark and dingy at all. Even now, as I type at 4 p.m. and the sun's clearly well on its way to the horizon, the space is shady, yes, but light and airy. One thing that I love about Central Park is that the breeze finds its way down the seven decks that span the range between it and the top-most deck.

Another intriguing tidbit: Ship designers have positioned aerodynamic sails in various parts of the upper deck around the park area to control (or facilitate) winds as conditions warrant.

It's truly my favorite space onboard (though I can see how the Boardwalk is going to really wow families). One negative, though: While most of the time it does feel like Central Park is on another ship because it's so serene, when the pool band up on top is playing the usual Caribbean uptempo tunes, the sound travels and pretty much swallows up the park area. But that's only now and then.

We get asked a lot of general cruise questions about what's free and what's not. Well, we always like to make the point that nothing is really "free" -- but there are things that are included in your fare and, especially on new ships like Oasis, things that are not.

On the Boardwalk, you can have donuts for no extra charge, but the ice cream shop sells scoops, sundaes and cones from $1.95 (flavors change daily; try mango if it's there, very refreshing!). Johnny Rockets (free for breakfast; $4.95 for lunch and dinner) and Seafood Shack ($8.95 per person for lunch and dinner) both charge. It's free to ride the carousel (yay!) ... but you'll pay to get your photo taken (per previous post) or make a pet.

Yes, you read right: make a pet. This is Oasis' answer to the "Build a Bear" chain that's popular on land. Pick the "skin" of the pet you want (rabbits, penguins, etc.) and staffers help you stuff it by attaching it to one of two big contraptions that look like oversized gum ball machines -- but instead of gum balls, there's stuffing flying around inside. The stuffing fills and puffs out the pet, along with a fabric heart you've placed inside. Of course, all manner of outfits, including a captain's uniform that looks fabulous on a stuffed bear, are available for purchase. The pet alone is $19.99; outfits are $12.99. If you buy both together, it's $29.99. Your pet leaves the shop in a cardboard box with a precut hole so he or she can poke out his furry head and see the sights on the Boardwalk.

Here's what's funny -- even though the shop is obviously geared toward wondrous kids, what with the fluffy white stuffing spinning in the lit-up machine and tiny-tot-sized plastic chairs on which they can sit while they dress their pet, staffers here say that most of the customers thus far have been adults. A lot of folks are picking up these hand-stuffed animals for their children, grandkids and even themselves!

Oasis-of-the-Seas-Stuffed-Pets.jpg

It actually works very well. It appears the cabin arrangement and corridor setup on OASIS is exactly the same as on CELEBRITY SOLSTICE. Every set of two cabin doors is recessed from the hall. This way they don't hit anyone when opening. On the SOLSTICE, if you had a connecting cabin there were two outer doors in the hall that could be closed. If the cabins were not connecting, then no outer doors. Also, every other cabin has the bed position reversed (by the balcony or bathroom) and OASIS appears to be the same.

I've also closely examined the interior of the cabins on OASIS and SOLSTICE, and they are almost identical including the bathroom (which is great). I think the SOLSTICE cabin and bath have a nicer finish, but this is to be expected as it's the more premium cruise line.

Ernie

eroller-web.jpg

Ernie, thanks for the explanation. Sounds like a good plan.

Ernie, thanks for the explanation. Sounds like a good plan.

I'm confused. How does this design save space? Seems to me, if your door opens in, you can at least sometimes use the space the door swings through.

When the door swings out, the recess prevents you from using the space 100% of the time! Or am I missing something?

The only time this feels like an oversized, overpopulated ship on this quite microscopic 1 1/2 day onboard adventure is when you're trying to get a table at the Seafood Shack. I've been thwarted twice. Today was particularly frustrating -- when I arrived at 2:30 p.m. (certainly not a peak lunch time), I was told that there were no more tables left. Period. The restaurant closes at 4 p.m. and it had a waiting list so full that it had to stop the waiting list. Is it mere lip service from Royal Caribbean's executives that they can tweak the line's fancy new "restaurant over-crowded monitor" to add staff where there's more demand? Sure seems like it now (the identical thing happened yesterday when I tried to visit the Seafood Shack).

As well, Johnny Rockets seems overwhelmed and understaffed. One colleague told me today that he was told there'd be a wait between 25 minutes and one hour. Huh? That's an odd sort of time span. I felt that the restaurant manager was a bit bossy, frankly rather rude, yesterday when we also tried to eat there. That's the only time since I came onboard that I felt that Royal Caribbean service did not meet the standard and it occurred to me this morning that I had similarly rather rude and subpar experiences on the otherwise excellent Independence of the Seas in April. Emblazoned on my memory was a visit to Johnny Rockets on an afternoon when there was literally one outside booth filled and no patrons inside the restaurant. I was dining solo and asked to sit outside and the guy who seats people (can't quite call him a maitre 'd) turned to me and said "No, those tables are just for families." I was shocked! I understand that if the restaurant were crawling with families, but it was literaly empty and stayed so until I finished. I wonder why Johnny Rockets seems to be the only place that is abrasive? Curious if others have had similar experiences (or, more hopefully, better ones).

It should be noted that both Seafood Shack ($8.95 for lunch and dinner) and Johnny Rockets (free for breakfast; $4.95 for lunch, dinner) will charge a fee for dining there when ships begin revenue cruises (there's no fee on this trip) and that should cut down on the crowds. But I'd like to see Royal Caribbean make a better effort to move their own people around if restaurants are in need of more staff.

--Carolyn Spencer Brown, Editor in Chief

It should be noted that both Seafood Shack ($7.95 for lunch; $9.95 for dinner) and Johnny Rockets ($3.95 for breakfast; $4.95 for lunch, dinner) will charge a fee for dining there when ships begin revenue cruises (there's no fee on this trip) and that should cut down on the crowds. But I'd like to see Royal Caribbean make a better effort to move their own people around if restaurants are in need of more staff.

This will cut down on the crowds quite a bit.

The hip, hot accessory is not one that you can buy from the shops. It's actually a paper bracelet, variously colored and patterned, that is given to those daredevils who sign up to try the FlowRider, zip-line or rock-climbing wall. It's meant to show recreation staff that you've filled out your waiver. All the cool kids wear them!

Observed at the Cupcake Cupboard, while gingerly downing the most delicious peanut butter and chocolate cupcake: A middle-aged woman rushes into the store, squealing. "Are those the coconut cupcakes," she shrieks in the happiest, most excited voice I've ever heard from someone of a certain age. Indeed they were -- and she was triumphant. The $2.50 is well worth the splurge. It seemed too that an inordinate number of people came in requesting the red velvet model (yellow pound cake doused with lots of red food coloring and a cream cheese frosting).

The jury's out for a lot of us on whether the Central Park cabins are worth a premium. Teijo and I have booked one for our own vacation in a few months, and we were assigned to one on this two-nighter. I think I really like it. It's so serene. And it's not as dark and claustrophobic as the Royal Promenade cabins. But I hate that there's not all that much privacy, particularly at night, and certainly don't want to cruise for a week in a cabin with curtains closed (otherwise why not just get an inside!). It's a bit of a different feeling for people we've met in Boardwalk cabins. They like the sight of the open sea beyond the AquaTheater. Still, I find this refreshing....

The only time this feels like an oversized, overpopulated ship on this quite microscopic 1 1/2 day onboard adventure is when you're trying to get a table at the Seafood Shack. I've been thwarted twice. Today was particularly frustrating -- when I arrived at 2:30 p.m. (certainly not a peak lunch time), I was told that there were no more tables left. Period. The restaurant closes at 4 p.m. and it had a waiting list so full that it had to stop the waiting list. Is it mere lip service from Royal Caribbean's executives that they can tweak the line's fancy new "restaurant over-crowded monitor" to add staff where there's more demand? Sure seems like it now (the identical thing happened yesterday when I tried to visit the Seafood Shack).

As well, Johnny Rockets seems overwhelmed and understaffed. One colleague told me today that he was told there'd be a wait between 25 minutes and one hour. Huh? That's an odd sort of time span. I felt that the restaurant manager was a bit bossy, frankly rather rude, yesterday when we also tried to eat there. That's the only time since I came onboard that I felt that Royal Caribbean service did not meet the standard and it occurred to me this morning that I had similarly rather rude and subpar experiences on the otherwise excellent Independence of the Seas in April. Emblazoned on my memory was a visit to Johnny Rockets on an afternoon when there was literally one outside booth filled and no patrons inside the restaurant. I was dining solo and asked to sit outside and the guy who seats people (can't quite call him a maitre 'd) turned to me and said "No, those tables are just for families." I was shocked! I understand that if the restaurant were crawling with families, but it was literaly empty and stayed so until I finished. I wonder why Johnny Rockets seems to be the only place that is abrasive? Curious if others have had similar experiences (or, more hopefully, better ones).

It should be noted that both Seafood Shack ($7.95 for lunch; $9.95 for dinner) and Johnny Rockets ($3.95 for breakfast; $4.95 for lunch, dinner) will charge a fee for dining there when ships begin revenue cruises (there's no fee on this trip) and that should cut down on the crowds. But I'd like to see Royal Caribbean make a better effort to move their own people around if restaurants are in need of more staff.

I hope u mention this issues to the powers that be (if u come across them again before you debark the ship):) especially the "bad attitude" of the manager.

Hello All,

Would you kindly tell me what the Oasis spa offers? How much is the spa pass for the week? Are there heated loungers and hydrotherapy pools?

I use the spa facilities everyday when I am on a cruise and want to know if this one is nice.

Thanks so much!:)

It does seem almost incomprehensible that RCI would forget an Internet Cafe (Royal Caribbean Online). There are such beautiful facilities on the Voyager and Freedom Class ships. With as much planning that went into Oasis, I'm sure an Internet cafe was discussed, especially as it's an onboard revenue producer. Perhaps they plan to have little areas all around the ship, I don't know?

Ernie

I thought you could access the Internet from your cabin, on what is a sort of an all in one TV?

RCI announced a little while ago breakfast in JR was included and your saying $3.95??

I was wondering the same thing. Their website says breakfast is complimentary.

http://media.royalcaribbean.com/content/en_US/pdf/Oasis_Restaurants.pdf[url=http://media.royalcaribbean.com/content/en_US/pdf/Oasis_Restaurants.pdf][/url]

The hip, hot accessory is not one that you can buy from the shops. It's actually a paper bracelet, variously colored and patterned, that is given to those daredevils who sign up to try the FlowRider, zip-line or rock-climbing wall. It's meant to show recreation staff that you've filled out your waiver. All the cool kids wear them!

Thanks for all your posts. They are really great! I do have a question.

I've already electronically signed my waivers. When and where do I get my cool bracelet?

For an adults-only retreat, the Solarium is the place to go. It's quiet ... except for a bit of elevator music in the The nearby Solarium Bistro -- a buffet venue -- offers light, healthy options for lunch. Items like couscous, rolls, fruit and varous salads are offered for an extra fee. The usually relaxed atmosphere disappears during the midday feeding frenzy, when people in the Solarium can be just as pushy as those in the Windjammer.

Similar question about pricing- the website says this is free for breakfast and lunch- has that changed?

Archived