Live from ... Oasis of the Seas (Photos, First Impressions, Vignettes)

I HATE to be nickel and dimmed:

Cup cakes, ice cream, room service (at times), Chops, 150, Giovanni's, Vintages, JRs, Seafood Shack, Solarium, Izumi, Spa, coffee....

The list seems to go on and on.

RCCL and Oasis in particular, is the most expensive cruise lines of the "mass market" (by FAR). That said, I don't believe that this nickel and dimeing is warranted. Charge another $50 per passenger, and due away with all the "little charges". Leave the top end extras (like 150, chops) and get rid of the charges at JR, the ice cream, cupcakes, etc.

We are a prime example of the customers that RCCL are loosing. We are major cruise people - 2 - 3 trips a year..most with the full family. We choose Carnival most of the time - because of what services are offered and at the price it is offered.

Eventually, the nickel and dimeing will cost RCCL. They will look at the full list of "extras" and choose another line, or a land based vacation.

And here is where I disagree. First of all I have been on many Carnival ships and have yet to find ONE that can match that of RCI's Voyager, Freedom or Radiance class ship and I will more than likely add the Oasis in about seven weeks to the list.

Second, RCI has always provided plenty of food that is included in the price of the cruise. If you want free ice cream then hit the Windjammer or if you want something a little better then you have the choice. The same with a burger or steak and list goes on and on.

Carnival offers a good product for what they charge but in my book they fall well short of RCI in many areas and to be quite frank, RCI is not going after those Carnival type bargain hunters. That is quite obvious with the prices that they're charging and the shops on board. Also I'm baffled. Looking at your signature line, you have cruised four times with NCL. IMHO they are the king of surcharges. We just cruised with them again back in July. More surcharges than any other cruise line that I have sailed. No one can tell the future and time will tell if RCI made the right decision wit Oasis but if I were a betting man, my money would be on RCI.

Wow, you would actually spend $50 a person for Johnny Rockets, ice cream and cupcakes? Considering they only charge $4.95 at JR and $2.50 for cupcakes, I would rather pay as I go..Thank you. The extremely minimal charges actually serve as crowd control on a ship this size. You could never get into JR or the seafood shack if there was no charge. Kids alone would fill up these venues.

Its amazing people are willing to spend $8.95 for the drink of the day plus gratuity (you do get to keep the glass) but when they charge $2.50 for a cupcake, people complain.

i agree you would never get in and what's $5to eat at jr on $3 for a cupcake when your paying for gamebling and alcohol not a big deal.:confused:

every line charges for extras so you might just want to stay in a land resort.

I

ts amazing people are willing to spend $8.95 for the drink of the day plus gratuity (you do get to keep the glass) but when they charge $2.50 for a cupcake, people complain.

I agree completely with this...wish it WAS still a glass. Haven't seen really glasses in years, except for an occasional ultra-special drink of the day served in some special vessel. I still have 6 GLASSES from my first Explorer cruise in 2002 and they are NICE--not some plastic piece of crap. Fond memories of wrapping all 6 in my dirty socks and burying them in my laundry to get them home unbroken! I would actually pay a buck more if it was a real glass (got a nice one this way on NCL Dawn--more like an iced tea glass--really pretty).

Now, back to our originally scheduled discussion.

BTW, Carolyn, thank you for the list of stores. I love to browse, but aside from Oasis themed stuff and makeup, they probably won't make any money on me--not when I got a beautiful gunmetal leather bag from my local Coach outlet a couple of weeks ago for $129. Still, I understand why people who don't have one locally would be excited!

Wow, I was really looking forward to my Oasis cruise in September until I read this thread. It seems like most of the comments are negative so maybe I need to change back to the Freedom class, which I love, and save money.:(

There will always be problems when a ship starts off, though by next September, the kinks will likely be worked out, and the Oasis is still a new experience. There will be a lot for you to enjoy next year.

There will always be problems when a ship starts off, though by next September, the kinks will likely be worked out, and the Oasis is still a new experience. There will be a lot for you to enjoy next year.

I am sure you are right but I was just feeling a little down and worried after reading this thread and I had previously been so excited. There will be plenty of time for the bugs to be worked out and for others to give their opinions. I have also just read where another poster loved the ship. Now I feel better...:)

Wow, I was really looking forward to my Oasis cruise in September until I read this thread. It seems like most of the comments are negative so maybe I need to change back to the Freedom class, which I love, and save money.:(

Keep in mind that what you're reading in most of the posts on this thread and many others is just opinions. It's no different than someone posting their review of a recent cruise on another ship. We all see things our own way. We all have our own priorities as to what is important. We all have our own level of tolerance. Some folks will report that it was the cruise from hell because they found an ice cube missing from their drink and someone could break a leg on a ship and still come away with a cruise of a lifetime.

This ship will not be perfect but after cruising for 23 years, I have yet to find the perfect ship. I myself cannot wait to board the Oasis in seven weeks from Saturday. IMHO they have take some of the best things from both the Radiance/Freedom class and have taken it to a new level. I want to experience it for myself.

Royal Caribbean received our Editors' Picks Award for childrens' programs and didn't disappoint with its vibrant Youth Zone on Oasis of the Seas. The ship's Adventure Ocean program offers separate areas for children 3 to 5 (Aquanauts), 6 to 8 (Explorers) and 9 to 11 (Voyagers). There's a small gymnasium area and a science lab for activities like volcano- and ice cream-making. The Adventure Theater is also extremely impressive, offering a place for children to watch original productions by Imagine Ocean -- a program headed by John Tartaglia of Broadway's Avenue Q cast. All members of the Youth Zone staff must have degrees in education, childcare or a related field, as well as three to five years of experience prior to being hired. There were just slightly more than 100 children on this sailing, so the children's areas were fairly quiet -- maybe 10 kids total.

RCI has started new Royal Tots and Royal Babies programs, which provide childcare and activities for children from 6 to 36 months old. All parents have an opportunity to reserve spots for their kids at the beginning of each cruise at a cost of $8 per hour, per child. Remaining hours are then opened up on a first-come, first-served basis. During a visit to the facility, one little girl was crying and would only stop when held by the only male staffmember in the room. "She likes the boys," joked Jennifer Boon, who runs the tots' and infants' programs. Fun fact: Royal Caribbean ships carried 35,000 children younger than 3 last year, accounting for one percent of total passengers.

Teens, the hardest demographic to impress, probably won't want to leave their designated areas onboard Oasis of the Seas. The ship was intentionally designed to distance the teen section from the rest of the Youth Zone and offers several lounges, juice bars, Nintendo Wii stations, a music room, the Wipe Out Cafe, themed parties and D.J. lessons. Although the teen areas are for children 12 to 17, there were definitely a couple of gray-haired adults playing air hockey in the arcade.

TeenZone1.jpg

TeenZone2.jpg

If you're used to keeping track of your children onboard via walkie-talkie, you'll need another plan of action on Oasis. The ship is so large that the devices don't always work from one end of the ship to the other! That's why Royal Caribbean is rolling out its new Royal Connect devices -- iPhones without outside calling or texting capabilities. For $17.50 per device, per week, you'll have deck plans and the Cruise Compass right at your fingertips, as well as a way for your kids to reach you onboard. They can dial the phone's number from any house phone on the ship. If you give one to your child, he or she can be tracked at all times -- also great feature if your little one accidentally loses the device. Best of all? No astronomical cell phone bill surprises when you get home!

On the Pool and Sports Deck, crewmember Andre was teaching several passengers how to line-dance to a variety of 70's songs, including Celebration and The Hustle. Andre has worked on three other Royal Caribbean ships, including Vision, Liberty and Adventure of the Seas. So far, I'm his favorite!

-- Lady O

PoolDance.jpg

If you're up for some adventure (and a bit of a wait in line), check out one of two FlowRiders on the Pool and Sports Deck. Sign a waiver, get a wristband, and jump in line. For those who want to get wet without too much difficulty, try boogie-boarding. For those who want to give surfing a try, just know that it's not as easy as it looks. (I stood up without the help of a staffmember for a mere two seconds before falling on my butt and getting a noseful of water.) Thanks must be given to crewmember Darren, who kept me up for about a minute before letting me go. He was also a big help during my zip line trial the night before. About 90 percent of crewmembers on Oasis of the Seas, including Darren, were pulled from other RCI ships, meaning that Oasis has the best of the best!

-- Ashley Kosciolek, Copy Editor

FlowRider.jpg

Here's a shot of a random passenger and crewmember on the FlowRider.

Although it's not located on the Pool and Sports Deck, there is a jogging track available for use on Deck 5, near the Spa and Fitness area. I overheard someone at lunch saying that 12 full laps around the track equal five miles. (To give some context, 12 laps around a standard-size, regulation track would be just three miles.) That's one big ship!

--Ashley Kosciolek, Copy Editor

Keep in mind that what you're reading in most of the posts on this thread and many others is just opinions. It's no different than someone posting their review of a recent cruise on another ship. We all see things our own way. We all have our own priorities as to what is important. We all have our own level of tolerance. Some folks will report that it was the cruise from hell because they found an ice cube missing from their drink and someone could break a leg on a ship and still come away with a cruise of a lifetime.

This ship will not be perfect but after cruising for 23 years, I have yet to find the perfect ship. I myself cannot wait to board the Oasis in seven weeks from Saturday. IMHO they have take some of the best things from both the Radiance/Freedom class and have taken it to a new level. I want to experience it for myself.

I always said I wouldn't sail on these big guys! I love the 'vision-class'. Then did 2 sailings on 'radiance-class ships'. Oh Oh. Now want do I do? Love them both - they both offer something unique and are both what I thought my niche is/was.

Your last comment though pretty much says it all - "I want to experience it for myself". I will be jumping from a 'radiance-class' right to this and all I can say is "I CANT WAIT". Negative feedback, positive feedback, they're both good.

One of the hot new casual eateries onboard is the Seafood Shack, on the Boardwalk. It's a partially al fresco joint where you'll find coconut shrimp, chowder and beer. With the fresh warm air blowing in it does feel like a beachy spot; the chairs are red metal but resemble the simple plastic seats that I associate with seaside eats. The motif is beachy too -- seashells and surfboards. There is a $8.95 cover charge for lunch and dinner ... and I'd come back for the fries and tartar sauce alone. That adds up for, say, a family of four, but the kids will love it. A little boy told me he was waiting for his giant fish sticks (fish and chips). What a coincidence ... I was having "giant fish sticks" too! One word of caution though: come early. Even if the posted close time is five, they start turning people away much earlier if others are already waiting. I had to beg for a spot at the bar. I wonder if the cabins above smell like deep frying oil?

There were two pieces but I ate one before taking the pic. Sorry!!

Oasis-of-the-Seas-Seafood-Shack-Fish.jpg

I wonder what kind of fish do they use for the Fish & Chips, I do not like Cod, but I like halibut:D

Carol:)

If I remember correctly the SeaPass card was taken as we left the ship. We had to have it scanned and not returned. But if having a souvenier card is important to you just go down to Pursers desk during sailing and tell them you lost your card. They will issue you a new one and you can keep the old one.

Our sea pass card was never taken back from us on our cruises :) Still have them in my wallet, they make me smile when I see them :)

I always said I wouldn't sail on these big guys! I love the 'vision-class'. Then did 2 sailings on 'radiance-class ships'. Oh Oh. Now want do I do? Love them both - they both offer something unique and are both what I thought my niche is/was.

Your last comment though pretty much says it all - "I want to experience it for myself". I will be jumping from a 'radiance-class' right to this and all I can say is "I CANT WAIT". Negative feedback, positive feedback, they're both good.

Nothing to do with the cruise, just wanted to say that I love your picture :) I am involved in rescue and on the Board for Texas Siamese Rescue and we have a WHOLE LOTTA cats, a "Clowder" if you will.

Edna

Anyone stayed in one of the oceanview cabins category F? These face the front of the ship, look down on the helicopter pad? It appears they have sloped walls and larger windows than the other oceanview (nonbalconied) rooms. However, there is no image of these cabins on the RC website yet.

Comments? I'm curious..

Thanks!

Anyone stayed in one of the oceanview cabins category F? These face the front of the ship, look down on the helicopter pad? It appears they have sloped walls and larger windows than the other oceanview (nonbalconied) rooms. However, there is no image of these cabins on the RC website yet.

Comments? I'm curious..

Thanks!

I've been inside one of these cabins. They have one open for viewing and it's VERY cool. While I prefer a slider and balcony with an ocean view, if you cruise a lot and have never experienced this cabin position, I think it would be very enjoyable. I would love to wake up in the morning, open the drapes and see the foc'sle cutting through the ocean.

Wow, 7 weeks......that is awesome!! I look forward to hearing your comments when you return. I have only done 6 cruises either on the voyager or freedom class and I loved everyone of them. From the pics. I have seen, the Oasis looks amazing and there will be plenty more comments between now and when I get to board the Oasis for myself. Have a great cruise!!!

Wow, 7 weeks......that is awesome!! I look forward to hearing your comments when you return. I have only done 6 cruises either on the voyager or freedom class and I loved everyone of them. From the pics. I have seen, the Oasis looks amazing and there will be plenty more comments between now and when I get to board the Oasis for myself. Have a great cruise!!!

Thanks. I plan to enjoy this time on a new ship.:)

Archived