Armed Crime Situation in Nassau deteriorating

ronniech

Is it still safe in Nassau ? Let the cruise line refuel overnight and don't bother disembarking. Shouldn't the cruiseline review the tours and issue warnings.

Please read these news articles about recent series of armed robberies of tourists in Nassau within the last month.

18 tourists in shotgun terror

Published On:Saturday, November 21, 2009

http://www.tribune242.com/news/11202009_TOURISTSROBBED_news_pg1

Three accused of armed robbery of eight tourists

Published On:Wednesday, October 28, 2009

http://www.tribune242.com/searchresults/10282009_touristrobbery_news_pg1

11 tourists in robbery terror

Published On:Wednesday, October 14, 2009

http://www.tribune242.com/sports/10142009_touristsrobbed_news_pg1

Tourist criticises police handling of armed robbery

Published On:Monday, October 19, 2009

http://www.tribune242.com/searchresults/191009_alholdup_news_pg1

American Embassy monitoring robbery of tourists investigation

Published On:Thursday, October 15, 2009

http://www.tribune242.com/searchresults/10152009_update_news_pg3

Armed robberies spree continues

Published On:Tuesday, November 10, 2009

http://www.tribune242.com/searchresults/11102009_crime-report_news_pg3

Three more armed robberies bring week's total to 14

Published On:Saturday, November 14, 2009

http://www.tribune242.com/searchresults/11142009_armedrobberies_news_pg1

Three in hospital after weekend armed robberies

Published On:Monday, November 16, 2009

http://www.tribune242.com/searchresults/11162009_armedrobberies_news_pg1

Soldier Road nightclub robbed at gunpoint

Published On:Tuesday, November 17, 2009

http://www.tribune242.com/searchresults/11172009_armedrobbery_news_pg5

Five armed robberies in one day

Published On:Friday, November 20, 2009

http://www.tribune242.com/searchresults/11202009_tt-robberies_news_pg1

Police rapped for excluding robbery of tourists from daily crime report

Published On:Friday, October 16, 2009

http://www.tribune242.com/searchresults/10142009_poll_news_pg7

Sounds like there's a wee bit 'o a problemo arising...

SO - you with the Turks and Caicos Tourism Board? Seriously, I've always like Nassu... but I'm easy. The economic down turn is increasing crime everywhere. Obviously, tourists are too good a mark to pass up in the islands so... Keep your wits about you!

The question is, is this more than usual? Or are they just in the media/these message boards more than they have been in the past?

To answer your question:

Individual pick pocketing is typical. So are street hustlers.

Armed robbery of an entire tour of 18 people held at gunpoint is new and very serious.

Just FYI……there is another board (not cruisecretic.com )that is popular with the Disney cruise line customers. People are posting that they received notice that the segway tour (the tour that was held at gunpoint) on future cruises has been canceled.

Thanks for that info., Presentation. :)

I go to the Bahamas every year and hadn't heard of this much armed violence (and was pretty shocked by the one at Atlantis' Marina Village), but it doesn't mean it didn't happen and I just was unaware of it.

Be a good traveller and don't have anything expensive on you or in your belongings. If you're a married woman, you might even want to replace your diamond ring with a fake diamond for your trip (like one of those Diamonique things HSN sells), but definitely only wear costume earrings, bracelets, other rings, etc. Ppl shouldn't bring or flaunt fancy things like iPods and SmartPhones. (If you want to have a phone with you, get a cheap one for the trip.) And be on your guard moreso than at home, since you'll likely stick out as being a tourist (being with a tour group, trying to find someplace, carrying bags, being in touristy areas, etc.).

Just FYI……there is another board (not cruisecretic.com )that is popular with the Disney cruise line customers. People are posting that they received notice that the segway tour (the tour that was held at gunpoint) on future cruises has been canceled.

Wow, sounds pretty serious! But, yeah, that's one time you DEFINITELY stick out screaming "I am a tourist!" to others.

We just spent 5 days at Atlantis in Oct and also went over to Nassau. I've been there before and never felt unsafe. Just as anywhere you need to stick to the busier areas and be aware of your surroundings. The shootings at Marina Village happened after we returned and fortunately didn't involve any tourists. Some of the other ports have a much higher crime rate, but it's old news there and isn't reported in the press. We were at Atlantis with my DH's company and there were over 2,000 of us there for anywhere from 4-7 days depending on add on days. No one had any problems with crime while we were there, unless you count the outrageous food and drink prices at Atlantis. Nassau news on the radio (listened on the way to the airport) was discussing the crimes that had been occurring and arrests that had been made. The Bahamas don't want this blight on their tourist industry so hopefully they will pursue plans to deal with it.

Thanks for that info., Presentation. :)

I go to the Bahamas every year and hadn't heard of this much armed violence (and was pretty shocked by the one at Atlantis' Marina Village), but it doesn't mean it didn't happen and I just was unaware of it.

Be a good traveller and don't have anything expensive on you or in your belongings. If you're a married woman, you might even want to replace your diamond ring with a fake diamond for your trip (like one of those Diamonique things HSN sells), but definitely only wear costume earrings, bracelets, other rings, etc. Ppl shouldn't bring or flaunt fancy things like iPods and SmartPhones. (If you want to have a phone with you, get a cheap one for the trip.) And be on your guard moreso than at home, since you'll likely stick out as being a tourist (being with a tour group, trying to find someplace, carrying bags, being in touristy areas, etc.).

Thats a great tip about real jewelry. I already do that,and am for sure doing it on our cruise. Ya'll have me scared to wander about Nassau though! Im aware of my surroundings here at home,and even more so when I travel.

But...Maybe if crime is on the rise,and maybe a government warning has been posted warning against travel to say,Nassau. Is it the cruiseline's responsiblity NOT to stop there? {real question}

Ya'll have me scared to wander about Nassau though! Im aware of my surroundings here at home,and even more so when I travel.

When you figure how many crimes have happened (even with the rise) against how many tourists there are in Nassau on any given day (between cruise travellers and land vacationers), the chances are very low that you'll have an issue. I wouldn't skip Nassau only because of this issue, unless you're talking of wandering around on your own late at night in some remote area or something - but that kinda goes without saying anyway.

I am not trying to create hysteria but criminals are not entirely stupid. They know robbing the locals will be trying to get blood from a stone so the only alternative is tourists. Being a law enforcement officer I can tell you they have an idea of when the cruise ships arrive and where the itineraries go. It is probably not a coincidence they picked the off-road segway in a secluded area to commit the robbery. Getting both excursions at the same location was a stroke of good fortune.

Be careful when planning your excursions.

We are Americans living in Nassau with almost nine years of island living and cruising experience. While the recent robbery is heart breaking, the advice above from an experienced law enforcement professional is sound. Consider excursions that are not off the beaten path. Remember that personal safety is also an issue in most American cities, as well. Let's keep in mind that the police in the Bahamas are hunting these guys, and they will find them. Don't let fear reduce your joy of living. We're headed to the Western Caribbean on a cruise in two weeks. There is nothing quite like the clear blue water, the soft white sand, and the experience.

Bill and Debra

listen, I am a a female social service professional that works with offenders in inner city Cleveland (live there too), I say this so you know I am not a shrinking violet -and I also get media sensationalization of crime. We love that in my home town. I have been on most continents,in many developing nations, mostly public transportation, and off the beaten path, and this does not sound good. I am now about to cross the Bahamas of the list, which is sad b/c I needed a short Feb cruise that only Bahamian cruises would fit the bill.

the resaon why i posted the message is because i am one of the victims of the 2nd group (RCCL) and i thought people should know. I;ve been travelling for 20 years and have visited 40 or so countries and have never seen a port area so shady and we were brought by a tour operator to a "nature park" which houses a rehab centre. The port newsletter from RCCL promoting Nassau should have warned us about the levels of crimes towards both locals and tourists just within last month.

For a population with only 300k people, with 77 murders and over 780 armed robberies this year seems like an outrageous level of violent crime.

Here is a comment from a blog

http://bobarno.com/thiefhunters/2009/11/nassau-street-crime/

# bahama boy

first i’ll like too say that i’m a bahamian who lived in the chippingham community for over 25yrs.1 block from where(BASH) is located or the so call earth-villaged or nature trails where the tourist got rob last friday. i want the pubil to know what the BAHAMAS GOVERMENT is not telling the cruise ship industry.that is BASH is a half way house that is used to host EX-CON’S AND RECOVERING DRUGS ADDICTS.MOST PEOPLE WHO LIVES IN THE EARTH VILLAGE ARE CRACK HEADS.WHAT WAS THE GOVERMENT THINKING WHEN THEY ALLOWED BASH A PLACE THAT HOST EX-CON’S WHO ARE JUST RELEASE FROM PRISON TO TAKE TOURIST ON NATURE TOURS.THOSE TOURIST WERE NOTTING BUT SITTING DUCKS.I KNOW WHAT I’M SAYING I LIVED THERE FOR OVER 25YRS. IF YOU DONT BELIVED WHAT I’M SAYING GO ON COLUMBUS AVE EVERYBODY KNOWS THAT PLACE IS RUN NY CRACK HEADS.

Hmmm that is disturbing.

I have always used fake jewelry for traveling, with the exception of my wedding ring. On our last cruise I put my wedding ring in the safe when we were in port - mostly so it wouldn't slip off while snorkeling, but also because it has a sizeable center diamond. I wear my first wedding band (same husband LOL - my current ring was a 10th anniverary gift) that is very tiny and very discreet.

I was contemplating just forking over the dough for an Atlantis day pass after reading this...but it seems Marina Village was also hit. Granted we wouldn't be hanging out in Marina Village with a day pass, but stil.....gives me some things to ponder.

I am sure the Bahamas tourism agency will do what they can asap about getting local authorities to stop this. The Bahamas would be crippled without the cruise industry and cruiselines do not like their passengers held up at gunpoint.

We were there on Wednesday Nov. 18th, 2009.

We did a non-ship excursion and went to blue lagoon island. When we got back to port, we shopped the straw market and then walked around for a while at all the other shops...we went up about 2 streets. Although we didnt wander off deep into Nassau, never once did we feel unsafe.

It is unfortunate that this is happening there. But like other posters said, dont ever take anything of value with you and stay close to port. I'm not saying limit yourself to just the port, I'm saying just dont wander off the beaten path.

We were there on Wednesday Nov. 18th, 2009.

We did a non-ship excursion and went to blue lagoon island. When we got back to port, we shopped the straw market and then walked around for a while at all the other shops...we went up about 2 streets. Although we didnt wander off deep into Nassau, never once did we feel unsafe.

It is unfortunate that this is happening there. But like other posters said, dont ever take anything of value with you and stay close to port. I'm not saying limit yourself to just the port, I'm saying just dont wander off the beaten path.

That sounds like a very nice day and since it sounds like there are so many shops close to the pier we could have a ton of fun.

I have Blue Lagoon on our "short list"...it just moved up to the top. After that we will do just as you did.

Thank you for your post!!

I was contemplating just forking over the dough for an Atlantis day pass after reading this...but it seems Marina Village was also hit. Granted we wouldn't be hanging out in Marina Village with a day pass, but stil.....gives me some things to ponder.

Marina Village is much more open to the public (and close to the bridge onto the island) than the main areas of Atlantis are. The main areas are pretty safe, so don't worry about going there. Atlantis is wonderful. So is Marina Village. The shootings that happened there didn't happen in the tourist area, it was a behind-the-scenes type area, although somebody on here did report there have been a few pickpocketings or something in the past there. But it is pretty safe and you will feel much safer there than in Nassau.

I am no shrinking violet either, but this is a direct quote from the 3rd article on the list on the first post - "11 tourists in robbery terror"

The 11-strong group of men and women were attacked at the top of the Queen's Staircase on Sunday morning.

They had arrived in Nassau on a cruise ship and were on a taxi cab tour of the capital's historic sites when their pleasant visit turned to terror as they viewed the 66 steps.

Two masked men approached on foot. One threatened the group with a handgun while the other stole cash and personal items from the visitors at around 11am.

I am not sure how much good it does to avoid isolated areas, or not toodle around late at night. This happened at 11Am, at what I believe is a popular tourist area in town. There is crime in my home town too, but I don't hang out in areas where I am likely to be targeted and keep my wits about me. I'm not sure how to keep safe being a tourist in a place I don't know, if tourists are being targeted - which apparently is the case here.

It's a concern to me, nassau is the one stop on the mini cruise I have coming up in about a week. Maybe the local police force will have the situation under better control, but from what I have read of the police response in the articles, they don't inspire confidence.

the police has caught a suspect, an ex employee who used to be a former resident of the drug rehabilitation and worked with Carribean Segway Tour

quote from Nassau Guardian

Miller said while the tourists were robbed on BASH's property, the 18 visitors were on a tour with Caribbean Segway Tours — a company that has partnered with the rehabilitative center located on 170 acres.

He admitted yesterday that the suspect once underwent treatment at the rehabilitative center.

"The police are holding someone who was an employee of [Caribbean] Segway and was a former resident of BASH," said Miller, whose claim was confirmed by head of the Central Detective Unit Superintendent Elsworth Moss.

read more here

http://www.thenassauguardian.com/nat...3065400789.php

I've been to Nassau 6 or 7 times on cruises in the past 5 years, and will be there again in about 10 days,......

Last time (augest 2009) I took a long hike well off the beaten tourest path,.....all alone, walking,.....I left the peir, took a local jitney to Potters cay,.....walked the Paridise island bridge, shopped at the locals paridise Island shopping center,....hiked to from and through the cloisters and verrsallis gardens,....walked back down to and through Marina village at Atlantis,...

took the water taxi back to town,.....then Hiked to Senior Frogs,....up a side street to Mcdonalds,....shopped at several mostly locals only shops,...and all around downtown before going back to the ship,....

I had no problems at all,....however,....I did notice tons and tons of more police pressence in every single shop and corner in heavy tourest areas downtown and on Bay Street,.....where there was only a handful on previous trips,....and the only place I felt slightly unsafe at all was under the bridge in Potters Cay,.....Nobody messed with me, but early in the morning (9;30 am) I seemed to be the only tourest there, and just had an uneasy feeling from some of the locals eating breakfast around there and how thaey watched me,....so I didn't linger very long there.

all that being said,......when I visit there late next week,......I had planned to take the jittney down past cable beach to explore a little,....however,....with the recent news from nassau and reading reports from locals there,.....I AM CANCELLING THAT PLAN.

I will now be just going off the ship to grab a few Conch Fritters and hit a shop or two on bay street and right back to the ship. (Disney Wonder)

I might venture back out to the downtown area to snap a few photos of the Oasis of the Seas as it docks there for it's very first time. (Dec,11'th)

But will not be going very far from the ship this trip.

Something very dark is going on in nassau in the current economic downturn the last month or two, and violent crime is rising quickly, It's

not the same place it was even a few months ago.

I do feel really bad for the good people of Nassau, because the more the tourists, fear leaving the ships, the worse they're economy will become, leading to even more crime and desporation,....it's a very bad downward spiral,.....

I do plan on still getting off the ship and doing my part to spend some money in thair country to help them out,.....but untill the cops/government gets things under control, I will not be ventureing far from the well beaten path near the cruise ship peir, and definately not after dark.

to read locals nassau take on the situation,......(bookmark it)::confused:

http://www.bahamasissues.com/index.php?

and

http://www.bahamasissues.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36

Archived