HELP -- First Family Vacation Timezone Mealtime-Issues

jrask

DS's first birthday is tomorrow and we would like to take a 7-night Caribbean cruise in the next several months. He normally goes to bed at about 7:30 Pacific Standard Time. I naturally defaulted to needing early dining for the little one, which is apparently difficult to get.

However, the timezone issue is throwing a monkey wrench into my parental instincts. Do we keep DS on West Coast time in which case late-shift dining is effectively his perfect dinner time? Or is that not the way that little ones work?

I suppose that would also have the side benefits of (1) instead of DS naturally waking up at 6 am, he would be going to sleep later and waking up at a more reasonable vacation-wakeup time (2) no adjustment back to Pacific Time when we return home and (3) we could then also attend whatever earlier entertainment he might enjoy (Disney cruise).

Thoughts? Help from experienced parents who have dealt with the timezone shift.

I can only speak from experience but we have travelled acorss time zones a few times with my daughter, the first time was just before she turned 1, and she adapted fine (in fact she slept better than at home) we just kinda went with the flow and everything fell into place. If you cant get early sitting just take your lo down to the buffet and then he can just pick later whilst eating with you, thats what we generally do, my lo is a tad older now and we are doing anytime dining so porb be able to push her out til 7ish, just relax and enjoy little ones are more adaptable than you think.

Rachaelx

I have always been able to get early dining on my cruises. Unless you are booking at a very popular time of year, you should be OK.

My kids have also crossed time zones frequently. They adjust much better than I do. By the first day, their time clocks are adjusted to the local time. You may be able to keep the little one up to 8:30 or 9 and sleeping to 7 or so, but I wouldn't count on keeping him up to 10:30 Eastern time. Their body clocks do adjust due to the sun. And it is so very bright in the Caribbean. :D

Your child will adjust to the time change quickly, and without any undue help on your part. Just sort of "follow their lead", as far as bedtime goes! If he acts hungry before dinner, give him a little snack....

I think it's easier losing time, than gaining....

I would say that if you were willing to wait until your child was 2, then take Carnival as they let 2 yo into camp, whereas most other lines are 3 and up. It will make for a better vacation for all as you can have as much family time as you want, but mom and dad can get some down time too.

I would fly in a day or more early, and start the time adjusting with longer naps and keeping up a little later.

I doubt you will have a problem getting early dining; we have taken 4 cruises with our kids and have received it with no problem. If for some reason you don't get it, you can always see the maitre d' and he can make the change for you.

Happy cruising!

Your vacation schedule will be so different from at home, I would not worry about the time zone differences.

Every time that I have travelled, "normal" bedtime has been somewhat

irrelevant. You'll find your kids napping when you don't expect, awake when you don't expect and hungry whenever or not hungry whatever.

Sometimes, you will not be anywhere near a bed at "normal" bedtime.

Your routine will be so different on vacation that your 1 year old will never notice the time change. You will be the one noticing the time change.

If you are a night person, it will be easier for you going west to east.

If you are a morning person, it might still be easier west to east.

I have found that it takes about 1 day per hour to adjust to a new time zone. When I travel from the East Coast to Las Vegas, it is a good 3 days before I am able to stay up until the usual 10 or 11 PM that I do at home.

If you have a choice of something like "your choice" dining (carnival) or "any time" dining.... where you just show up when you want, I'd recommend that. Even if you did not have time zone adjustments...

Just go with it. If you are hungry, eat. If your little one is

"tired silly" or unmanageable, call room service and call it a night.

hb5

I had my 3 kids back and forth to Ireland before one yo, on evening flights so we have some experience changing time zones.

I've found my kids to be extremely adaptable and I didn't stick to strict schedules.

For vacations I found that they would go all day with maybe a very quick morning nap, and then take a long afternoon nap,(2-3 hrs) wake up, have a snack, take a bath and be ready to party.

Having said that we did all-inclusives and usually ate at the buffet at no set time. Being locked in to a scheduled time- either early or late might have been an issue if they were still taking a nap at 5:30

It will all work out, relax and have a great time- it's vacation

Archived