Olympics -- totally forgot!

AKBeagleMom

We've already booked and paid our Hawaii cruise on the Zaandam. We'll be leaving home on 2/13, returning on 3/2. I completely forgot that the winter olympics in Vancouver are THIS year! It appears the opening ceremonies are the day we leave, and it wraps up on 2/28. I'm disappointed that we'll miss the whole thing.

I wouldn't cancel a cruise for this, but I was wondering...do you think HAL will have any Olympics coverage? We have 4 days at sea, so that would be a good time to catch up on the various events. Do the TVs on HAL even receive NBC? I wonder if they'll schedule any special events in honor of the Olympics?

Has anyone sailed during this time period before?

Satellite reception in the middle of the Pacific can vary, but I would think you'll at the VERY minimum catch highlights since there is CNN International and also an international ESPN feed. While I know NBC and its sister networks carry the games, a combination of CNN/ESPN Int'l would have to carry at least the good stuff :) ...right?

We also booked our 2008 cruise without remembering the Summer Olympics were scheduled to begin the day before we boarded our 12 night cruise to Scandinavia. Coverage onboard was extremely limited and there was no mention onboard of the games other than the occasional news update. At first, we were disappointed, but we had such a great time that we were way too busy to feel as though we missed out on anything.

Archived