Celebrity Hotel in Amsterdam & Transfers

cruisingatsea2

Can anyone who has taken the Baltic cruise this past summer tell me the name of the hotel Celebrity used in Amsterdam. Also, did you use the Celebrity transfers from the hotel to the port or a taxi? Final question, how far is the hotel to the centre of Amsterdam? Thanks in advance everyone. Merry Christmas:)

Can anyone who has taken the Baltic cruise this past summer tell me the name of the hotel Celebrity used in Amsterdam. Also, did you use the Celebrity transfers from the hotel to the port or a taxi? Final question, how far is the hotel to the centre of Amsterdam? Thanks in advance everyone. Merry Christmas:)

Our first time in Amsterdam, we stayed at Celebrity hotel NH Grand Krasnapolsky, great hotel right in center of Dam Square. At Celebrity rates with transfer very expensive per person rates.

Second trip we also stayed near Dam Square at Hotel Amsterdam de Roode Leuw, nice small boutique hotel with restaurant on lower level. Also good, booked on our own. We took car service from airport, expensive and took long time roads were just crowded.

Third trip, we booked Movenpick City Center, between Central Station & cruise port. DH walked luggage over to terminal, about 10 AM, it's that easy. This time we had taken the train from the airport to Central Station and took tram to hotel, could be walked. You do have steps on train and station, so you should be able to handle that if you choose this option.

Amsterdam is very easy city to get around, either trams, buses or walking - just watch out for the bicycles.

I would book your own pre-cruise hotel. We priceline our hotel there and ended up with the Movenpick. What an AWESOME hotel for a pre-cruise hotel. You cannot get closer to the ship in the morning. Also very walkable into the city centre. Post cruise I would suggest the Amsterdam American Hotel. VERY nice place and right in the middle of everything. Awesome location. But the Movenpick was a perfect place for pre cruise and the service and rooms were excellent.

We also stayed at the Movenpick at a great price via Priceline. One route of the hop-on hop-off (HOHO) canal bus goes right in front of the hotel although it is on a less frequented route. It is around a mile walk, to the train station and city center. Be careful with both car and bike traffic when walking to the city center.

The Movenpick is a nice, new, modern hotel, and you might get a room overlooking the cruise ship dock. My dh woke me the next morning announcing, "Someone is here to see you." Awakening I realized it would be the Century outside my window. I hobbled over to the window still half asleep to see the Century.

hylasgirl: I think possibly we might have mutual friends (a UK couple) who were going to meet us in Amsterdam at the end of your cruise and before the start of my cruise in July 2008, but they couldn't make the trip.

Kathy

We also stayed at the Movenpick at a great price via Priceline. One route of the hop-on hop-off (HOHO) canal bus goes right in front of the hotel although it is on a less frequented route. It is around a mile walk, to the train station and city center. Be careful with both car and bike traffic when walking to the city center.

The Movenpick is a nice, new, modern hotel, and you might get a room overlooking the cruise ship dock. My dh woke me the next morning announcing, "Someone is here to see you." Awakening I realized it would be the Century outside my window. I hobbled over to the window still half asleep to see the Century.

hylasgirl: I think possibly we might have mutual friends (a UK couple) who were going to meet us in Amsterdam at the end of your cruise and before the start of my cruise in July 2008, but they couldn't make the trip.

Kathy

YES! Wild... it was just sad why they didn't make it. We never even got word until we arrived home.

The Movenpick was awesome!!! What a great pre cruise hotel. SO... you must have boarded as we got off? We arrived back in Amsterdam on Lisa's birthday and we were all going to celebrate. So sad :(

I have yet to find an instance when it was a better value to book pre or post cruise hotels with the cruise line. Do yourself a favor and book independently. On our Century cruise out of Amsterdam, we stayed at the Grand Krasnapolsky, and it was a great, albeit expensive, hotel with only a 10 minute, 10 euro, cab ride to the terminal in morning traffic. As the other posters have said, the Movenpick has the best location closest to the pier, but it doesn't have that "center of it all" feel that the Krasnapolsky has.

Thanks everyone for your responses. We are looking for a hotel exactly because we will be booking our own instead of using the cruise line hotel booking. I am trying to get a feel for costs and distance to port! We will have 2 days pre and 1 day post cruise in Amsterdam and wanted to make the most of it. We have been there before and love the city but can't remember the hotel we stayed in!! City centre pre and maybe Movenpick post - gotta do some more research.:)

Hi,

We were on a Baltic cruise this July and stayed one week before cruise and a couple of day after the cruise in Amsterdam at Park Hotel. If I go to Amsterdam ever again it will be only Park Hotel. The location is the best - it's close to every major museum and sightseeing! The rates we got were the best! The only tip I'd give is - never use hotel service to call a taxi - they get the cut and it will cost you double. E.g.: a ride we had from the hotel to the pier cost us $30 for 4 people (the hotel called a cab). And we paid $15 for the ride back to the same hotel after the cruise!!!

Archived