Alaska Shore Excursions

nanak915

We are scheduled for an Alaskan Cruise in August 2010 on the Star and would like to know which shore excursions would be best for first time Alaskan cruisers. We really want to see each port of call but would like to do an excursion in each one that would allow us time for sight seeing around town also.

Has anyone done the duck tour in Keitchkan? We are senior citizens so we don't want to chance hiking the glaciers or any other strenuous activities that require climbing, etc.

I see some of the excursions are 4 hours or so. Will that leave any time for exploring the towns or would we be rushed? Since this is our first Alaskan cruise we really want to see the towns and the locals along with the sights.

We did the Duck Tour in Ketchikan and found it to be OK, but not a stellar experience. Next time we visited Ketchikan we just walked around. The town is where the dock is and everywhere was flat and easy walking. A little further out from the centre there are some inclines. There is a map available at the visitor centre with the main sights marked for you to follow the walking trail.

In Juneau the glacier and whale watching tours are great. You can walk down a nice easy path to the glacier to see it and there is also a visitors centre for information about glaciers. Whale watching has transport to the boat and back to the ship. Very easy on the body! You can also get a shuttle to the town and just wander around if you wish. The town was easy walking.

In Skagway the ships dock at the end of the main street and it is a very easy town to wander around on your own or you might consider a trip on the railway which is very scenic.

We did the duck tour in September, and did not like it. I feel your better off walking around and see the town that way. There's really not much to it. Check out the ports of call page for more information on Alaska.

Rollie

When I took my mom, she had some mobility issues. She LOVED the train in Skagway and really liked the whale watching in Juneau. If we'd had more time we would have liked to do the glacier, but it didn't work out for us. Both of those excursions were easy to get from the ship to the train/boat. She wasn't walking well and refused a wheelchair so we didn't do much else in Skagway, but the train was a good full day. We did the fjords boat ride in Ketchikan, which was OK but longggggg. I think she would have rather done some sort of car tour in the city.

You should still have plenty of time to explore the city a bit, though you may run out of time in Juneau.

Have fun planning. I think almost all of the tours for Alaska are planned for maximum impact and minimum stress. You really can't go wrong with whatever you pick

One more thing about the duck tour, if you have mobility problems, the ducks are not the easiest to get in and out of. The tour was so bad that we complained at the front desk and got a partial refund.

Rollie

One more thing about the duck tour, if you have mobility problems, the ducks are not the easiest to get in and out of. The tour was so bad that we complained at the front desk and got a partial refund.

Rollie

It's true. The Ketchikan Duck tour is nothing like the one in Seattle, two different animals (pardon the pun).

Wow - we did the Duck tour in Ketchikan it seemed fine. To be honest, there is not much to see there, other than the scenery which you can see most of from the ship. The stores are so tourist oriented, there is not much to walk around and see.

Anyways, I would strongly suggest going over the PORT OF CALL message boards and then click on ALASKA.

Another recommendation for combining Mendenhall Glacier w/ the whale watch in Juneau (you can get off the bus on the way back in downtown Juneau and take the free shuttle back to the dock) and the taking the train up the White Pass in Skagway. Both were wonderful excursions and didn't require a lot of mobility.

In Ketchikan we did an eagle watch but that didn't leave any time to see the town since our stay there is so brief. Next time, we'll probably just walk around Ketchikan.

Nana

We are also seniors, but can get around when the need arises. I don't know what your actvity level is, but we tried Kyacking and loved t. You have to understand, my DW doesn't swim and not big on these type of things, but we did it and just loved t. It is some what strenuous, in that you have to row, but for the most part, we kept up, as the group just does't go that fast and when we needed help, they sort of helped us along. But we came back just thrilled that we did something like that. If you can row or even just paddle, try something like his. They will take you to back waterways to see eagles, hopefully bear, but the scenery is spectacular and you just have some fun. And new comers are their bread and butter, so don't worry if you've never done it before.

My recommendations for excursions for a cruise on the Star to Alaska:

Ketchikan: Misty Fjords and Wilderess Explorer - One of the best excursions we have ever taken. It is hard for us to honestly say if this was the best excursion or Tracy Arm Excursion

Skagway: White Pass Scenic Railway - This is very nice for seeing beautiful sights, however one thing I would check with others who might have experience taking this in August is how much snow will still be left on the ground. Part of what made that such a beautiful tour was all the snow up on the mountain.

Juneau: Mendenhall Glacier - Get off the boat and take a bus out to the glacier yourself. Come back and get off the bus in the shopping area and walk back to the shuttles to take you back to the Star.

Then just before the ship leaves they have a tour where you get on a catamaran boat and sail to Tracy Arm Fjord and Glacier Explorer. This is the one that I would say ties with Misty Fjord as the best excursions we have ever taken. The catamaran (very nice and comfortable by the way) gets up close and personal with the glacier, must closer than the ship will. Now I have to say in total fairness, the year we went (last year) Tracy Arm was clogged with icebergs almost the entire cruise season so almost every tour, ours included, was diverted to the Endicott Arm Glacier. I have heard the trip to Tracy Arm is even more beautiful than to Endicott and if it is, it must be breath taking. Both Misty and this excursion are a bit pricey, but we have never felt an excurison was SO worth every penny.

Prince Rupert.. Either stay on the boat or walk around and just see what you can see. I have to say that this has been one of my least favorite ports ever.

You will love the Star, by the way.. 8-)

Thanks everyone for all your info. My husband and I get around fairly well most of the time but there are days that my husband's knees and back bother him when he is on his feet for long periods of time. The suggestions you all made sound fine and I will also visit the Ports of Call boards for suggestions there. We are so looking forward to this cruise. It is something we always wanted to do but just didn't get around to it till now.

Another recommendation for combining Mendenhall Glacier w/ the whale watch in Juneau (you can get off the bus on the way back in downtown Juneau and take the free shuttle back to the dock) and the taking the train up the White Pass in Skagway. Both were wonderful excursions and didn't require a lot of mobility.

In Ketchikan we did an eagle watch but that didn't leave any time to see the town since our stay there is so brief. Next time, we'll probably just walk around Ketchikan.

We did the Mendenhall Glacier and Whale watch in Juneau, and the White Pass Rail in Skagway. Both were wonderful excursions. In Skagway, we still had time to wander around, but it was mostly touristy shops and such. However, in Juneau, we really didn't have extra time to do anything else. By the time we got back it was dark, but we did go in September.

We did a Misty Fjords boat excursion in Ketchican. It was pretty lame, IMO. We had some time to walk around there too, but again it was mostly touristy shops that we saw.

I have to give my 2 cents worth again. The best whale watching tour in Alaska is with Orca Enterprises out of Juneau. After whale watching they will drop you off at Mendenhall Glaicer. In Skagway do the White Pass Railroad with Chilkoot Tours. The will bus you into the Youkon for an all day tour. These 2 tours made our Alaska trip one to remember.

Rollie

Skagway is a small town. Dont miss the FREE museum that focusses on the gold rush. Its located in an old stone , just a couple of blocks from the docks.

likewise in Juneau, the Alaska State Museum and the tramway to the top of Mt Richards, the view is incredible looking directly down on Juneau.

• 1 month later...
My recommendations for excursions for a cruise on the Star to Alaska:

Prince Rupert.. Either stay on the boat or walk around and just see what you can see. I have to say that this has been one of my least favorite ports ever.

You will love the Star, by the way.. 8-)

Sadly, you'll be missing out on some of the best tour experiences in Alaska iif you follow this advice. Prince Rupert has great halibut fishing, glacier flightseeing, rainforest walks, kayaking, and whalewatching. While August is late for the bearviewing in the Khutzeymateen, there is great eagle viewing, and several tours offer locally caught Sockeye and Chinook salmon, Dungeness Crab, and halibut. several waterfront locations have fresh seafood, and the museum offers a potlatch ceremony far better than any other in Alaska.

We were on the Star in 2006, in Juneau we used Orca Enterprises for whale watching. We made arrangements with them to pick us up after a bus ride to Mendenhall because it is on the way out to the bay for whale watching. The whale watching was amazing with Captain Larry. In Ketchican there are eagles everywhere so you don't have to pay to see them, they are also everywhere in Juneau.

Ketchikan - Misty Fjords, for sure!:) It was awesome and our favorite Alaska tour last year on HAL's Ryndam. The catamaran is very comfortable with heated indoor area and windows as well as outdoor decks. We'd rather be hiking, but like you, are unable to do so. This tour gave us an intimate view of the fjord with waterfalls and lichen-laden walls right next to the boat. The are eagles, other birds, and sometimes wildlife. It was like being in the middle of a painting. The boat was speedy getting to and from the Behm Canal, but once inside it was very quiet and relaxing. The Tlingit storyteller and artist are very inobtrusive if you'd prefer to look at the scenery rather than listen.

We also did the Whale Watch Mendenhall Glacier (no walking required if you view from the visitor center). The boat is comfortable with heated indoor area as well as outdoor. The guides loved what they were doing and it showed. Respect for the whales was appreciated.:)

We enjoyed the train in Skagway. The highway return is just across the river so you don't see anything different with that choice.

Enjoy Alaska.

mtbrien in San Antonio, TX

Archived