Need suggestions for good half day Acapulco city tour with cliff divers

Travelalot2

Does anyone have a good suggestion for a good half day city tour of Acapulco that includes the cliff divers and the main "must see" sights? RCCL offers one for $48 per person - Has anyone taken this and if so, how was it (we normally book outside the ship). I've contacted toursbyvan.com but have not received a response yet. Any other ideas for 4 adults?

Does anyone have a good suggestion for a good half day city tour of Acapulco that includes the cliff divers and the main "must see" sights? RCCL offers one for $48 per person - Has anyone taken this and if so, how was it (we normally book outside the ship). I've contacted toursbyvan.com but have not received a response yet. Any other ideas for 4 adults?

Use one of the taxis or vans outside the terminal building. Write down the stuff you want to see, and agree on a price with the driver. You will have to pay extra to go to the viewing area for the divers unless you get the driver to include that in his price for the tour.

Most of them have a pretty standard tour they sell you unless you have other things you want to see. We use Rafael quite a bit, and he takes us to the divers, flea market, Flamingo, Casa Blanca for a great view of the harbor, Diego Rivera sculpture, through old and new parts of town to Senor Frogs for another great view, out to Las Brisas area, and back to a jewelry shop, then back to the ship. There are other things we have seen with him (including his home), and all has been at a very good price. If you are interested in a harbor tour, you can have him let you off at the area where the double decker glass bottom boats dock, and can walk back to the ship from there.

You can also walk to the fort from the ship, but you have to climb some stairs to get there.

Seems like there are tons of drivers but the only ones I've read about on here are tourby van and Rosie.

I wonder why???

Anyway if you go to the Trip Advisor Acapulco forum there's a traveler article on drivers with a list of at least 20 possibilities.

WE are planning to do just what was advised above, and just find a taxi at the port to the divers and on to other sights. We have been told that a taxi to any of the close in areas should not cost more than 30 pesos for each ride. Of course if you bargain for a half day it will be different.

Are the divers at 1:30 pm every day? How long should we plan for to see what was mentioned above plus the fort of San Diego and the Divers? 4 hours? Also, what is a reasonable taxi rate for this for 4 people? I want to be fair, but, don't want to get "taken" either.

Are the divers at 1:30 pm every day? How long should we plan for to see what was mentioned above plus the fort of San Diego and the Divers? 4 hours? Also, what is a reasonable taxi rate for this for 4 people? I want to be fair, but, don't want to get "taken" either.

Keep in mind that I haven't been down there since the Star changed their schedule a couple of years ago, but the taxis were getting around 20 to 30 per person for a four or five hour tour. That did not include the cost to go down to the viewing area for the divers (around 6 or 7 dollars). I think there is a small admission fee to the fort, and the harbor tour on the glass bottom boat was around 8 dollars. The harbor tour boat has a couple of young guys that get off and climb some rocks about 40 feet or so, and dive for tips. The narrator on the tour boat speaks Spanish so it helps to understand the language, or sit beside one of the locals who can explain what you are seeing.

Sometimes it is better to go past the guys with the tour signs and deal directly with the taxi drivers. That lets you know how well you can communicate with them. Some speak English better than others, and by dealing with the driver, you know if he understands you. They will adjust the tour to cover what you want to see, and they also know when you need to be at La Quebrada to watch the divers. The divers times are adjusted when cruise ships are in, and I think they have a girl diving now, also. Just be sure to agree on a price before you go with the taxi or van to avoid misunderstandings.

I usually released the driver when he let me off at the tour boat dock, then took the tour and walked back to the ship. If you want to see the fort, there is an overhead walkway about a block from the cruise terminal that goes directly to the fort. or you can cross the street at the light by the cruise terminal and go up the stairways to the fort.

Hi We have booked to go on a tour with Rosie, it sounds really good, and $35 ea. for 5+ hrs.

Just a suggestion but here's what we did whe there in May, 2008. Got off the ship and took a boat trip that did sightseeing & the cliff divers (I think it was a ship's excursion), probably last a couple of hours. the got together with 2 other couples from our ship and hired a driver for a toure (2-3 hours). Highlight was the Fairmont resort and various views that he parked at for pictures. I think the cost of the driver was like $20 pp. We absolutely loved Acapulco.

We hired Sebastian to drive us for the day. I found his contact info on trip advisor and we had a great time. His contact info is Sebastián Hernandez eskp_rsh@hotmail.com He is very highly recommended on trip advisor and after spending the day with him I can see why.

We went to the Flamingo hotel, Chapel of Peace, Diego Rivera mural, flea market and saw the divers. It was about a 4.5 hour tour. He did a great job and answered all of our questions and shared a bit of history with us in the various areas.

His price was essentially the same as the cab drivers at the pier, but I wanted to make sure we had a car with air conditioning and a driver that spoke English well. No worries with either one! Glad he had a newer car with good air conditioning as it was 95+ degrees the day we were there in early March. It is a beautiful city but very crowded and narrow streets.

Hope this helps a bit-there are lots of drivers at the pier; but I preferred to have one that others have used and recommended--good luck with your search and enjoy your stay in this unique city!

********* (Rudy) responded and charge $50 pp for a 5 -6 hour private tour for the 4 of us. Rudy himself is unavailable, but, will put us with another one of his drivers. Rosie responded with $45 for what seems like the same tour, but, it would be sharing the van with others. Both include the divers. We're leaning towards Rudy since it's only $5 more pp for a private tour with the four of us. 6 hours seems like a long time in the van though????

Here are some thoughts:

A half-day will go quickly. But it is what it is.

Firstly, I don't think it's in your best interest to walk from the cruise ship terminal to the street, hail a taxi and then attempt to negotiate a tour and price with a driver who probably speaks little English and whose perceptions of what a foreign visitor would enjoy is probably much different than the visitor's interest level. Pre-arrange with a driver who concentrates on tours.

Secondly, don't book a tour with someone who is going to sub-contract the business to a friend. Most of the "tour guides" mentioned in this thread will over-book their time rather than turn-down someone and that's to their advantage, not yours. Tell the person, up-front, you want them or nobody else and that if you arrive and find someone else with your name on a placard you'll walk away.

Thirdly, rates will vary depending upon how many people are in the car/van. Four or more people and the prices should start dropping to about US$25 p.p. for a 5 or 6 hour tour. A van, obviously, should be more comfortable than most cars. Make certain to get an assurance that the van/car is air-conditioned. No air-conditioning, no trip with the person. Acapulco can be hot/humid much of the year (90F+ both humidity and temperature).

Fourth, the management of the cruise ship terminal has often cautioned people to stick with the tour vans available for rental on the grounds of the terminal because they're pre-certified as to licensing and insurance. Though I suspect the terminal operator receives a commission or fee for business generated from cruise ship passengers using these vans/guides the concern over licensing and insurance, and bilingual guides/drivers shouldn't be easily dismissed. Not all guides/drivers in the city are likely to conform to all of the laws - so give this some thought. Yes, the terminal-affiliated vans/drivers/tours are almost always more expensive.

Fifth, when a driver suggests stopping at his/her home to "meet my family" your warning radar should go into high gear. Some drivers have been reported to use this scheme to "soften" passengers after which some sort of emotional "I have to support my family" pitch for a higher fee or large tip at the end of the tour.

Sixth, the tour price is typically negotiated by the owner of the van/car and no additional tip is necessary. An exception to this would be for drivers working for one of the commercial tour services affiliated with the cruise ship terminal. However, if someone thinks they've received exceptional service during a tour a gratuity expressing the pleasure is always in vogue.

Not all of us share similar tour/travel preferences, but here are some stops I’ll suggest that’ll give you a glimpse of the “real” Acapulco meshed with the touristy parts all of the guides focus on:

1. Fort San Diego (1 hour)

The Fort is across the street, directly across the street, from where your ship will berth and from the passenger terminal from which you'll exit into Acapulco. Acapulco has a very rich history, much of which is tied to this Fort which has changing and fixed exhibits. There's a relatively inexpensive admission fee.

2. Mask Museum (30 minutes)

A 5-minute walk from the Fort, and also across the road from where you'll exit the passenger terminal, is this unique mask museum. Masks play an important role in the life of the indian and "indigenous" populations and the state of Guerrero (in which Acapulco is situated) has its own types of masks. Masks from other parts of the country are also on display. In many ways, the museum reveals the rich history of this region of Mexico. No admission charge, but a donation is encouraged.

3. Cliff divers (30 minutes to an hour)

When the ships are in port the divers often schedule an unpublished, special show to which not only cruise ship passengers are welcome but the general public as well. The cost of this special show is about double or triple the cost (maybe just US$10) of the "regular" shows but are no less interesting. You could attend one of the special performances or one from the regularly-scheduled ones. After the dives the divers come up into the audience, speedo's and all, and solicit small tips and also pose with anyone wishing a photo (and a MX$20 (US$2) tip or more is suggested for this opportunity). The divers are located a 10-minute ride from the passenger terminal and Ft. San Diego or mask museum.

4. Diego Rivera wall/tile mural (15 minutes)

I find the Diego Rivera tile wall mural a disappointment but it is his famous Acapulco work and since it's so close to where the cliff divers are it makes sense to stop for 15-minutes to view it, and you can also look-out from that location across Acapulco Bay and down at the beaches.

5. Central de Abastos (central market) (1 hour)

Forget the "flea" market because it's usually a "rip off" trip for tourists for which some of the drivers get paid to bring you there. Visit, instead, the city's bustling historic central market - the commercial center from much of the region and coastal area. You'll be astounded by the variety of goods and products, and the wealth of fresh produce. Though the "big box" (Wal-Mart-type) stores are arriving in Acapulco it's at this central market that the commerce of the city was centered for so many years. You'll see butchers, fish sellers, shoes by the thousands, clothing and, yes, some "trinkets" for sale to bring home with you. Visit the central market and you'll get an idea of how the "normal" folks in Acapulco shop and live.

5. Palma Sola archaeological site (1 hour, only for the “fit”)

If your group is fit and reasonably mobile, a visit to the mountainside archaeological zone "Palma Sola" - featuring stone carvings dating back 3,500 years - is a "must see" in my book. Most tours avoid the area but I think it's an important part of the region and when you're high above the town you get not only a glimpse at history you're provided with a spectacular view of the Ocean and bay. About two sides of the city are bounded by a national park, part of which is adjacent to Palma Sola. This is a stop for people who'd like to stretch their legs, though, and who are reasonably fit (walking up steps is involved).

6. Plaza Alvarez and historic center (30 minutes to an hour)

Plaza Alvarez is a 5 minute walk from the cruise ship terminal and is the historic center, the business and religious hub of the city dating back to the very earliest days of Acapulco. The city's Roman Catholic cathedral is on the plaza, as are shops, banks, restaurants, fountains, park-like environment, etc. This would be a guided walking tour of the center of the city - a part of the city still so very important to the everyday life of residents.

Enjoy your visit!

Thanks, gomexico for a great list of things to see in Acapulco .

I agree that for a tour, it might be best to know in advance who you are using, especially if you are not comfortable with speaking Spanish.

We will probably get a taxi and just ask for a ride to each place on our list. Each ride , should be no more than 30pesos, which right now is less than $3.00:

cliff divers

maybe the Diego Rivera Mural and then to Los Flamingos

main square Sooo that's about $9-$12. From the main square it is an easy walk back towards the cruiseport and the Fort San Diego with its nearby museums.

If you go to the old Casa Blanca hotel for the third floor view, take a look at the mural on the back wall of the second floor. It is a Diego Rivera painting.

The hotel is pretty run down, but the view of the bay is very good, and they have some pictures on the wall at the check-in desk that were taken many years ago. It will give you a look at the changes in Acapulco over the years.

Fifth, when a driver suggests stopping at his/her home to "meet my family" your warning radar should go into high gear. Some drivers have been reported to use this scheme to "soften" passengers after which some sort of emotional "I have to support my family" pitch for a higher fee or large tip at the end of the tour.

I have a different view of this. When Rafael asked if it was OK with us for him to pick up his wife to take her to dinner for a special occasion, we heartily agreed since we were near the end of our tour, and were in the area where he lives. We met the family, and were never solicited for extra tips, nor did we feel that was his reason for doing this.

Since then, we have taken gifts for his family whether we tour with him or not. He is a true gentleman, and has always been very fair to us.

• 4 weeks later...

A friend that visited Acapulco used this guy, Robert Alacron for three days of their vacation. He is rated highly on Trip Advisor as well as other websites.

I am using him on our cruise in less than a week. I will report on how the tour goes when I get back.

He has tours besides the city tour and cliff divers. He will respond quickly to your emails and speaks excellent english. I have talked to him several times on the phone. He also has a brother that works with him so he can handle some larger groups.

• 9 months later...

Our family was part of a tour of Acapulco offered by Tourby Van on October 1. The tour stops were as promised and the guide was very good. The van was clean, and they provided bottled water for the passengers. They will customize your tour as you wish. They can be reached at tourbyvan@yahoo.com.

The only negative was that the air conditioning in the van was not working properly, and those of us in the back of the van were extremely uncomfortable. Others on our ship who rode in other vans from the same company said their vans were cool. Apparently the owner, Rudy (he was driving a different van) was unaware of this problem until we notified him on our return home.

Once we contacted Rudy, he immediately offered to refund our entire tour price, which we felt was too much but we did settle on a partial refund which he promptly mailed. We would tour with Rudy again if we return to Acapulco again.

I would say if you decide to take a tour with any one, make sure the A/C is working before you leave the dock area. If it's not you will be in for a long hot day.

Archived