Can we walk to Paradise Point?

knot knormal

I wouldn't walk it either. If we're talking the same route the safari buses and taxis use, and it appears from the map we are, there are a lot of blind corners and no shoulder to speak of. There are even spots where the safari buses have trouble making the corners which leaves no room to go when walking. The roads are narrow and not meant for anything other than vehicular traffic. I've never seen anyone walking up there. I'm not even sure it's allowed. It's also a pretty steep climb.

As google says, this route may be missing sidewalks or pedestrian paths. That would be an understatement.

The first week in January can be hot. You are in the Caribbean after all. Also the medical care on Island is not what you are used to. Accidents happen and walking up to Paradise Point is asking for trouble in my opinion. The walk is all but vertical and the road a donkey path. St Thomas is not what you are used to no matter how avid walkers you are.

B.

Just walking around on flat ground is hot in St. Thomas. In late Oct. we were there, and decided to walk up the "99 steps" (WHAT were we thinking?).

Hiking to Paradise Point? I think you'll melt before you get to the top!

Thanks for your comments. We probably will not walk up, however the 99 steps was not that difficult - the road from the east going to Bluebeard's Castle was worse. Maybe we'll taxi up and assess the road and walk down - after all, we walked down the mountain in Funchal with the sleds trying to run us off the lane!

The road up to Paradise Point is very steep however people do walk it - for excercise. Usually in the late afternoon around 5-5:30pm there is a small group of people walking/hiking the road. Not sure if they are there everyday but I've seen them numerous times and it seems to be a regular thing. Its a paved road but it is windy with lots of switch backs. No sidewalks.

If you enjoy hiking/walking you might consider the trail to Magens Bay (http://www.magensbayauthority.com/naturetrail.html) or perhaps heading over to St. John and doing one of the hiking trails in the National Park.

--Islander

Archived