Celebrity Solstice, RC Independence, Emerald Princess, or Carnival Glory

rostbp

We just can't decide which cruise to take. We have only been on one cruise before and that was on RC Freedom of the Seas to the Western Caribbean. My husband likes Independence but that is identical to Freedom and I think I'd like to something different. Anyone been to both Labadee and Princess Cay?? Which is nicer?? Any opinions from you seasoned cruisers would be helpful. We are looking at the end of February to mid March. Thanks, Bonnie

We just can't decide which cruise to take. We have only been on one cruise before and that was on RC Freedom of the Seas to the Western Caribbean. My husband likes Independence but that is identical to Freedom and I think I'd like to something different. Anyone been to both Labadee and Princess Cay?? Which is nicer?? Any opinions from you seasoned cruisers would be helpful. We are looking at the end of February to mid March. Thanks, Bonnie

Well, I would throw Carnival and Princess out of the running first off. But that is just me. I don't care for their food... the service is OK... but their ships are ugly, and their staterooms blah...

Are children involved? If not, I would take the Solstice. I think it's the nicest ship at sea. If I were taking all my family, I would choose the Independence but only for children reasons. I love the mix of people on the Solstice. I don't think it's quite as stuffy as Celebrity's other products. Although I love their other ships as well. The design is SOOOOO nice! There are so many outdoor spaces that I adore on the Solstice. My beef with RCCL lately is separating you from the ocean... and no indoor pool for bad weather. A design after the Radiance class that I just don't understand?? The food is a step above RCCL (not a huge step) but leaps and bounds above Carnival or Princess. I adore the balcony rooms on the Solstice and they are never that much more money than any other class room, which I also love. I like the type of people that Celebrity attracts. I do not care for the people that frequent Carnival for the most part. Princess can be a really nice group of passengers, but I just don't care for the design of the ship... the food or the balcony staterooms.

Have a look online at photos and such. I am a very esthetically driven person for certain things... cruise ships and hotels for instance. I don't think you will find a nicer ship than the Solstice. Their attention to detail is amazing! I love the tile work... the chairs all over the entire ship are SO nice and comfortable! The Sunset Bar is the greatest outdoor bar ever! And it has nothing to do with the swimming pool. Which I LOVE. It is so nice to have so many outdoor areas that aren't associated with the swimming pool. Every area is extremely nice and modern without be cold and uninviting.

You will, I am sure, get different answers on every cruise line message board associated with your choices. This ship would be my choice hands down. I have MANY links of photos if you are interested.

We did the indy 8 nighter this past Feb. We loved it.....we also got a great deal with a diamond and I think it was a resident or 55 and over discount. We would love to try the Solstice next year and there really are some good deals....but when I compare the $$ on an 8 nighter on the Indy with the Solstice...the Indy wins hands down. You also get an extra night and it does make a difference.

Money is the issue for us right now so it might be the Indy again for us....unless the Solstice goes down again...which I doubt it. We had also looked at the Solstice for last feb/march and those prices were hundreds more pp than 2010.

If money were not the issue....Solstice here I come!!!!!

I'm betting the final post count to this thread will be over 200. :)

In my opinion, try Solstice. Been there done that. Great ship !

Experiences on RCI & Princess were just ok. Maybe I'm getting old but I prefer the elegance found on these Solstice class ships.

Again, just my humble opinion.

BaDH

• 5 weeks later...

Are children involved? If not, I would take the Solstice....

I am also trying to pick between Emerald Princess and the Solstice for a cruise in May. I do have 4 seniors and an almost 7 in the party. I know hylasgirl wanted to throw Princess out. But if I have a kid, the Emerald does have MUTS and I know Celebrity does cater to a more matured crowd.

Any thoughts?

Archived