If you were going to stay on board during a port ...

trvlqueen

We just booked Victory for June 6, 2010 ... very excited for this itinerary because it includes so many islands we've never seen before, but the port intensive itinerary means we could easily "overdo".

If you were taking this trip, where would you build in some relaxation? Is there an island you'd "skip" and stay on board for a spa/pool day? Is there an island with a "don't miss" beach where we should plan to be lazy all day (maybe one with oceanfront massages?)???

I am soooo looking forward to this trip ... but with 3 kids (9, 12, 15) and a stressed out hubby who needs a break, I want to be careful not to run ourselves into the ground.

We are arriving in San Juan on 6/4, so we'll have a full day on the front end of the cruise to relax, and staying over one night after we get off the ship as well, so if we need to decompress, we can always hit a good beach in Puerto Rico (or a great hotel pool if you have one to recommend).

thoughts, advice? I've been checking the port boards and there is so much good information, I'm not sure where to start.

The only things I do know are that we think we'll either hit Trunk Bay on St. John U.S.V.I. or Meghan's Bay on St. Thomas and that the kids really want to tour Dominica to see the Pirates of the Caribbean film sites. Aside from that, we are flexible and open ... but if we're going to tour, I'd like to book ahead of time with some of the private operators recommended on the boards.

thanks in advance ...:)

We're leaving from and returning to Puerto Rico with stops at St. Thomas, Dominica, Barbados, St. Lucia, St. Kitts, and Antigua ... no sea days. We know we'll miss the sea day(s), but thought the timing, price, and opportunity to see some of these islands was worth the pace. Still ... we don't want to burn out. This is our family's Christmas gift to each other, so I'm trying to do some of the planning prior to Dec 25 so that we can "wrap" some things to put under the tree.

just cruised victory last month and i have to say, it's hard to pick an island to "not" see. we stayed busy everyday. by the last day(st. kitts) we were worn out and did an island tour that morning and took it easy that afternoon. we knew we had to pack then too so that was the day we chose to do the least. we also got a massage, it was so nice, we really needed it by then. they're changing the itinerary around so i think st. marteen will be your last day. i've never been there so i don't know what there is to do there, might be a must see island. don't miss megan's bay in st. thomas, the waterfalls in dominica, the beaches(so many) in barbados, and cosol in st. lucia(independent tour). we did the panoramic tour in st. kitts, it's an easy(little walking) two hour island tour and you get to see alot of the island. they're dropping antigua in january, it was our favorite port, we did the catamaran tour and loved it(just in case you ever go there). you'll really enjoy the itinerary and the ship. we've decided to do the same ship again next year. i hope you enjoy your cruise!!!:)

You're right ... we are on St. Marteen the last day, not Antigua. Thanks for the thoughts ... that's the problem I'm having ... all the islands look awesome. Maybe we'll have to look at some 1/2 day tours so we can relax in the afternoons.

Any other opinions?

I loved planning this cruise and took a kind of "every other day" approach to it. We had beach day (St Thomas) Tour day (Dominica) Beach Day (Barbados) Tour day (St Lucia) Beach day (Antigua) and early tour (St Kitts). It worked out well and we were never overly tired or anything. I do admit that we went to bed pretty early every night though. My only change would have been Antigua. I would have done a tour there (although we loved our day at Jolly Beach Resort). I will definitely say to get out and do some sort of island tour in Dominica and St Lucia. Both islands are astounding in their beauty, but you need to get out of the port area to appreciate them. Our last day was St Kitts and we did the early railroad tour. That way we got to see the island, but we were back on board a little after noon to relax on the final day.

It is an awesome cruise. I wouldn't miss a single port or you might regret it later on. They are all beautiful islands. My review is in my signature if you want to look at it.

Thanks so much, Tigg, for your advice. That actually sounds like a great plan. We've been to St. Thomas before, so are thinking Trunk Bay or Megans Bay for that day, but I like the every other day idea. We like to be busy, I just don't want to come home more tired and stressed out than when I left, and the thought of having to end my vacation in the San Juan airport (where I have horrible memories of being forced to run back and forth multiple times across the airport in order to make it onto the last flight off the island on our last trip to St. Thomas) just makes me cringe ... so I need relaxation built in to the vacation so I'm in the right state of mind to deal with the lousy service at that airport, lol.

Last time I went out of PR i got there 2 days early just so I could relax before the cruise:D

Busy Itinerary One my GF would hate as she loves the sea days

Here is my Recommendations having been to all the port at least once most 2-3times

St Thomas... Megans Bay closer Trunk Bay and St John my preference but your taking the taxi and the ferry so that takes about 2hr out of the day

Dominica...... great idea Beautiful island if you get away from the pier probably the most impoverished of all the ports

Barbados..... I went to Sandy Lane resort for my 40th BDay but that is private and the other time was The Boatyard for all the beach toys jet skis parasailing lots of fun for the kids and safe

St Lucia..... need to get away from the port Grand pitons are the famous site you can see them when coming in Great day for ship time/spa day as it is an expensive port for taxis

St Kitts..... looks like a smaller version of Maui as you come into port The Train ride is nice or just walk 5min past the shops to Picadilly square and walk around a relax day here for sure whaterver you decide

St Martin...... you can get off the boat walk 10 min or take the water taxi and your at the beach and shops in Phillipsburg

Have fun :)

Archived