Your first cruise ship

Copper10-8

Our first cruise was on Carnival in about 1999 I think. We had a really good time, but we were a little put off by the "party-party-party" atmosphere. The Cruise Director was always yelling at us over the intercom about bingo or something. At one port I looked over at a pretty little Holland America Ship and said to my husband--"That's where we belong". Five HAL cruises later we are booked for the Mediterranian in April.

Our first cruise was on Carnival in about 1999 I think. We had a really good time, but we were a little put off by the "party-party-party" atmosphere. The Cruise Director was always yelling at us over the intercom about bingo or something. At one port I looked over at a pretty little Holland America Ship and said to my husband--"That's where we belong". Five HAL cruises later we are booked for the Mediterranian in April.

Our first ship WILL BE the Eurodam in Jan 09! Anniversary of our engagement, Honeymoon and my 31st birthday celebration! Booked a Penthouse and now that its paid for I'm having second thoughts (and third and forth) as to whether that was bright idea! We'll see!

John, ours was the Sea Princess south bound route Alaska out of Seward. I bought the cruise (for way to much) at a charity auction!

And yes my friend... WE ARE HOOKED!!:D

The Yum Yumm Man cruise will be our 10th cruise! :rolleyes:

I hope to meet you both onboard!

Teri ;)

Ship+Photo+Sea+Princess.jpg

Sea Princess (1998-present) Delivered in 1998 by Fincantieri -Cantieri Navali Italiani S.p.A., Monfalcone, Italy to Princess Cruises from a series of four identical sisterships identified as the Sun class, (Sun Princess, Dawn Princess and the former Ocean Princess, now P&O's Oceana ). In late 2003, early 2003, she received an internal transfer to P&O Cruises and was renamed Adonia on May 21st, 2003, at a launching ceremony with sister ship Oceana. The Princess Royal, Princess Anne and her daughter Zara Phillips named the sister ships in the first double ship naming ceremony ever.

As Adonia, the vessel was dedicated as an "Adults Only ship" and for this period, the children's playroom was refitted as a quiet lounge which featured massage chairs facing the panoramic windows. The children's play pool was converted into a Feng Shui relaxation area. In the P&O fleet, Adonia filled the gap in the period between Arcadia leaving the fleet to become Ocean Village and the launch of the new Arcadia in 2005. So in May, 2005, she was transferred back to Princess Cruises, reassumed her old name, and continues to cruise for them.

Hey Terry, looking forward to meeting you and the Mrs also on Oosterdam on Valentine's Day;)

Sailed 3 days to Ensenada, with my three BFF's, all in one cabin w/o a window! :eek: We taped a picture where the window should be! This was approximately 1982 (?), during the Love Boat craze! We thought we were so all that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!;)

Ship+Photo+Southern+Cross.jpg

ss Southern Cross (1955-2003) Delivered in 1955 by Harland & Wolff, Belfast, Northern Ireland as ss Southern Cross for UK-based Shaw, Savill & Albion Line for service between Europe and Australia. She was the first passenger ship of over 20,000 gross register tons built that had her engine room (and as a result of that, her funnel) located at the rear of the ship, rather than midships. She started a trend of aft-engined ships, and today all passengers ships are built this way.

Although designed as an all-tourist-class vessel for an immigrant route, she was designed with fairly luxurious facilities for her time. All passenger cabins were air-conditioned, fitted with hot and cold running water, and inside cabins had circular lights that were switched on gradually in the morning, mimicking the rising of the sun. However, only the most expensive cabins had private bathroom facilities. The aft-funnel arrangement made it possible to build a large open lido deck midship, including a 5,000 square feet sports deck area. In addition to the two outdoor pools there was one indoor pool. All inside public spaces were air conditioned, and included a two-deck high cinema (also used as a dancing venue), two large public lounges, two restaurants, a writing room/library and a smoking room. Externally the ship was of a completely new design. The bridge was placed far back, being closer to midship that the bow. The meant the superstructure extended quite far more forward than the bridge. Like all Shaw Savill ships of the time, the Southern Cross sported a grey hull, light green superstructure and an orange funnel with a black top.

In 1953 Queen Elizabeth II was approached and asked if she would be willing to launch the ship and choose a name for her from a list of suggestions. The Queen agreed to launch the ship, and chose the name Southern Cross for the ship. When the ship was launched on August 17, 1954, she became the first passenger liner to be launched by a reigning monarch.

On February 23, 1955 the Southern Cross was delivered to her owners. After a series of shakedown cruises she left for her first trip from Europe to Australia and back again. Taking 76 days for one circumnavigation, the Southern Cross sailed from Southampton to Capetown, from there to Australia and New Zealand, and then continuing eastwards across the Pacific to Europe via the Panama canal. Normally she made four such circumnavigations every year.

The Southern Cross enjoyed great success during the early years of her Shaw Savill service, and in the late 1950s a second ship of similar design but larger dimensions was ordered, and entered service in 1962 as ss Northern Star. When she entered service, the Northern Star replaced the Southern Cross on the eastwards Australian run, and the Southern Cross took over the westwards itinerary, visiting the same ports as before but in reversed order.

Throughout the 1960s the competition from jet passenger aircraft increased on the Australian run and as a result, the around-the-year service to Australia became no longer financially viable. Southern Cross was then used for cruising from Liverpool to the Mediterranean from June 1971 onwards. Although her design was otherwise well suited for cruising, the ship did not have toilet facilities in all cabins, which made her an unpopular cruise ship, and after just five months of cruising Shaw Savill decided to lay up the ship in November of the same year.

After spending over a year laid up, first in Southampton and then at River Fal, Cornwall, Southern Cross was sold to Greek-based Ulysses Lines in January 1973. Renamed ss Calypso, she sailed to Piraeus where she was rebuilt into a proper cruise ship. Painted in cruise-like whites with an attractive blue/white funnel, Calypso entered service for Ulysses Lines in March 1975, initially cruising around the Mediterranean with Piraeus as the starting point. After a few months, she was chartered to UK-based Thomson Cruises and used for cruising from Tilbury and Southampton. Thomson withdrew from the cruise business in 1976 and Calypso returned to Ulysses Lines, who used her for cruising around the Mediterranean, as well as a season for cruising around South America in 1978-1979, and seven-night cruises from Miami to the Caribbean from 1979 onwards. At some point she was also used for cruises from New York City to Bermuda.

Ship+Photo+CALYPSO.jpg

In 1980, she was renamed ss Calypso I and used for cruises from Los Angeles to Alaska. In late 1980, she was sold again, this time to U.S.-based Eastern Cruise Lines, who used her to start west-coast of U.S. service under the name Western Cruise Lines. Renamed ss Azure Seas, she had her funnel painted dark blue and she was placed on three-and four-night cruises from Los Angeles to Catalina Island and Ensenada, Mexico and soon became highly popular. In 1986 Western Cruise Lines and Eastern Cruise Lines merged with their west-coast competitor Sundance Cruises to form Admiral Cruises. Azure Seas continued her popular west-coast cruises until 1991, when she was transferred to cruising from Ft. Lauderdale to the Bahamas. However, in the same year, Admiral Cruises was bought by Royal Caribbean Cruise Line. The new owners had little interest in keeping the old Azure Seas in service, and she was sold to Dolphin Cruise Line.

Renamed ss OceanBreeze and sporting a new white-funneled livery with curving blue stripes along the hull, the 36-year-old ship started cruising on a seven-night itinerary from Aruba in 1992. In 1996, she was moved to cruising from New York and Florida. Another change of ownership was in order for the ship in 1997 when Dolphin Cruise Line, Premier Cruises and Seawind Cruises merged to form Premier Cruise Line. OceanBreeze was repainted in the new company's colors, with a dark blue funnel and a blue and yellow hull, but otherwise her service continued as it had before.

In 1999, Premier Cruise Lines chartered the OceanBreeze to the newly founded Imperial Majesty Cruises. Her old name, crew and hull colors were maintained, only the company name (on the hull) and the logo on the funnel was changed. Imperial Majesty placed her on two-night cruises from Ft. Lauderdale to Nassau whre she proved to be very popular. Later in 1999/early 2000, Imperial Majesty Cruises decided to purchase her outright. In October 2000 she was rebuilt at Newport News, Va at a cost of $3,500,000 with more up-to-date interiors. OceanBreeze was expected by many to continue sailing until the new SOLAS-regulations come in effect in 2010, but this was not to be.

Running a steam turbine powered ship on two-night itineraries was highly expensive, and an additional $5 million would have been needed to rebuilt the ship to conform to the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). In addition, Ocean Breeze not being equipped with bow thrusters, required the assistance of a tug every time she visited a port. In 2003, Imperial Majesty Cruises decided to sell her for scrap and in November 2003 she was beached in Chittagong, Bangladesh, where she was broken up.

262444826_7ae63c8838.jpg?v=0

Got married in 1974, paid off student loans in 1978 and in 1979 booked a cruise from Southampton to Turkey and back, when every night was formal and there were 4 passengers under 50 years old. We hit a huge storm, which the commodore of the P&O line, who was our captain, said was the worst he had seen in the Med after 42 years sailing. Blew us 400 miles off course in one night, emptied all the bars of glasses and liquor, and the water from the pool all ended up in the lounge. DH was sick as a dog, I loved it. The stabilizers were not as good back then. The plate steel on the bow had 8 foot high dents from the waves. And... we are still cruizing!:D

CROWN DYNASTY (CUNARD)

1994 LOS ANGELES TO VANCOVER. san fran,victoria,ketchikan, and vancover.

i remember it well, sorry no picture as no access to my many pictures. it was quite rough and it was a shock to me as never much liked the sea before! i sat the 1st 2 nights sitting in the reception!!!

a lot of people wanted to get off the ship after we left san fran, changing their cabins. when i got off in victoria i was still GOING UP AND DOWN!! in the castle. when we got to vancover i remember finding out one of my soccer teams DUNDEE UTD had won the SCOTTISH CUP!!!!

sincer then i have done over 40 cruises!! since then. of course the DYNASTY is now the BRAEMAR for fred olsen and has now been lenghened hopefully to be more stable.

dave

Ship+Photo+Sea+Princess.jpg

Sea Princess (1998-present) Delivered in 1998 by Fincantieri -Cantieri Navali Italiani S.p.A., Monfalcone, Italy to Princess Cruises from a series of four identical sisterships identified as the Sun class, (Sun Princess, Dawn Princess and the former Ocean Princess, now P&O's Oceana ). In late 2003, early 2003, she received an internal transfer to P&O Cruises and was renamed Adonia on May 21st, 2003, at a launching ceremony with sister ship Oceana. The Princess Royal, Princess Anne and her daughter Zara Phillips named the sister ships in the first double ship naming ceremony ever.

As Adonia, the vessel was dedicated as an "Adults Only ship" and for this period, the children's playroom was refitted as a quiet lounge which featured massage chairs facing the panoramic windows. The children's play pool was converted into a Feng Shui relaxation area. In the P&O fleet, Adonia filled the gap in the period between Arcadia leaving the fleet to become Ocean Village and the launch of the new Arcadia in 2005. So in May, 2005, she was transferred back to Princess Cruises, reassumed her old name, and continues to cruise for them.

Hey Terry, looking forward to meeting you and the Mrs also on Oosterdam on Valentine's Day;)

WOW! You should write a cruise book John! You are quite the cruise ship historian / expert! I loved hearing the history behind the Sea Princess, I had no idea! THANK YOU!!

I have to tell you, I am THE MISSES! LOL!! :D I have one of those unisex names! I am going on the Yummer's cruise Feb. 14 with 9 other girlfriends!

We will be on our second cruise together as a group.

However, we have to leave our husbands behind on Valentine's Day! :eek:

We call ourselves the Crabernet Cruisers! You will see us with our Crab attire onboard! We are not at all crabby, but a little goofy! :p

Thanks again for the Sea Princess information. I shared it with my husband, who also found it very interesting! We would like to sail on her again, now that she is back with Princess. We are hooked on HAL, but would love to reminise and sail on the Sea Princess again.

Take care, see you in a few months!

Ms. Teri ;)

• 2 weeks later...
Late 80's. Bermuda Star. Mexico. 2 lil portholes.

Don't remember a lot of it.:p But really liked shooting off the aft of the ship.

Didnt think I would cruise again. Till last year. Now? LOVE IT!!

Ship+Photo+Enchanted+Isle.jpg

Argentina (1958-2003) Built by Ingalls Shipbuilding Corporation, Pascagoula, Mississippi and delivered to U.S.-based Moore McCormack Lines. Initially used on the deluxe cruise run from New York City to the east coast of South America. In 1963, she was refitted with additional accomodation at Bethlehem Yard, Baltimore, Md. for more diverse cruising. In 1969, she was laid up in Baltimore, Md until Holland America Line bought her in April, 1972. After refurbishment at Lloyd-Werft Yard, Bremerhaven, Germany, she emerged in 1973 as m/s Veendam III. In 1974, she was laid up again at Hampton Roads, Va.

She was chartered to Agence Maritime International (Brasil) and renamed Brasil for cruising out of Rio de Janeiro. She was returned to HAL in 1975 and started running cruises from Florida in the winter and from Alaska in the summer. In 1976 she was chartered by Monarch Cruise Lines and became the Monarch Star for Alaska cruising. In 1978 she was back at HAL as Veendam.

In 1983 she was sold to C.Y. Tung Group out of Hong Kong and renamed Bermuda Star under Bermuda Star Line Management. Commodore Cruises purchased Bermuda Star Line and her in September, 1990 and renamed her Enchanted Isle for cruising out of New Orleans, La. In 1993, she was sent to the Baltic, and before becoming the Hotel Commodore in St. Petersburg, Russia, she ran six cruises from Kiel to Norway. In 1995, after being an accomodation ship in Hamburg, she was once again named Enchanted Isle, brought back to the United States and cleaned up to resume cruising from New Orleans. In 2000, Commodore Cruises filed for bankrupcy protecetion and she was laid up in Violet, Louisiana. She was sold for scrap in September, 2003, renamed New Orleans, and began her final journey to Alang, India where she was broken up in 2003/2004.

Argentina-Veendam-06.jpg

The Westerdam, sailing to Alaska, on our honeymoon in August, 1991. Of course, nobody told us that 75% of the ship was chartered out to a religious organization and their pastor. Not a lively bunch, but memorable.

Ours was in April 1998 on the Rotterdam. Despite the age difference, we were only 32 at the time, and the rest of the passengers seem to be 60+ we had a great time. Lots of funny memory's. Like when we found out we had been upgrade to an outside cabin only to realize that it had upper and lower berths. :eek: The upper berth was never used but every night the cabin steward prepared the cabin as if it would be used, until the last night when the ladder was not put out and two chocolates were on the pillow on the lower berth. :D Or when we dropped anchor and my wife practically had her life jacket on before she got our of bed as she thougth we had hit something and we were going down (it was like 5:00AM). :eek: Or when we were embarking and back then you were given a number and ours was like 700 and they came on and said those needing assistance would be boarded first. I looked around and said "well that should take care of just about everyone" I thought the fellow beside me was going to have a heart attack he was laughing so hard. We ran in to him several times during the cruise and everytime he just laughed. Some great memories thats for sure. :)

Brewster

Ours was in April 1989 on the Rotterdam. Despite the age difference, we were only 32 at the time, and the rest of the passengers seem to be 60+ we had a great time. Lots of funny memory's. Like when we found out we had been upgrade to an outside cabin only to realize that it had upper and lower berths. :eek: The upper berth was never used but every night the cabin steward prepared the cabin as if it would be used, until the last night when the ladder was not put out and two chocolates were on the pillow on the lower berth. :D Or when we dropped anchor and my wife practically had her life jacket on before she got our of bed as she thougth we had hit something and we were going down (it was like 5:00AM). :eek: Or when we were embarking and back then you were given a number and ours was like 700 and they came on and said those needing assistance would be boarded first. I looked around and said "well that should take care of just about everyone" I thought the fellow beside me was going to have a heart attack he was laughing so hard. We ran in to him several times during the cruise and everytime he just laughed. Some great memories thats for sure. :)

Brewster

corrected the date it should have been 1989!

My first cruise was aboard the Noordam for the two week holiday cruise to the Southern Caribbean and Panama Canal in 1995. My girlfriend's grandmother was supposed to go, but got sick, couldn't go, and I was offered a free cruise.:D It was a fantastic itinerary which included the San Blas islands, a stop hardly any cruise line makes anymore. The girlfriend is gone, but not the need to cruise!;)

Was on the Atlantic - Home Lines - maiden year in August 1981 to Bermuda. Price was more than I pay now and the cabins are nicer.

Did not make an impression as I did not cruise for 8 years - Celebrity Horizon - maiden year - to bermuda -- loved that cruise (food was awesome), service was great - hooked after that.

Have gone on 18 in total, 7 different lines.

Favorite is HAL, first HAL ship was the Noordam (and 2nd also) in the 1990's. Small ship 32,000 tons, but loved it and yes my young children was catered to and had a great time.

Will all be on the Westerdam in January.

Ship+Photo+Atlantic.jpg

ms Atlantic (1982-present) Built by the CNIM (Chantiers du Nord et de la Méditerranée) shipyard in La Seyne, France and delivered in April 1982 to Home Lines as ms Atlantic. She was designed for weekly cruises between New York and Bermuda in the summer and Caribbean itineraries in the winter. She had a somewhat troubled start with Home Lines in that, upon completion of her inaugural voyage, her thin hull was pierced by one of the assisting tug boats as she entered her berth in New York. She was also noted for her frequent breakdowns and was so subject to cross winds, that sponsons were later added to increase her stability.

In 1988, she became the property of Holland America Line who had bought out Home Lines but she then was immediately resold to Premier Cruise Line, joining her former running mate Oceanic and becoming the third "Big Red Boat" for Premier, replacing the Royale.

Premier first sent her to Bremerhaven, Germany for an extensive refit, which involved increasing passenger capacity to a total of 1,652 by enlarging existing cabins with 452 Pullman berths, and a complete refurbishment of her public rooms. She came out of the yard as the ms Starship Atlantic, a family-oriented cruise ship, with a red hull and sailed the 3-and 4 day cruise itinerary between Port Canaveral, Fl and Nassau, the Bahamas for nine years, as an official Walt Disney ship.

In 1997, she was purchased by and entered service for Italian-based MSC Cruises (Mediterranean Shipping Cruises) as mv Melody and used on seven-day cruises from Genoa, Italy into the Mediterranean, marketed mainly for families.In 1998, after a transatlantic crossing, she was based out of Ft. Lauderdale for Caribbean cruises, mainly for Europeans customers. In 2004, she was renamed MSC Melody and is still sailing for them today

Ship+Photo+MELODY.JPG

Not exactly a cruise but my mother and I joined my father in England via the United States out of New York. Now for my first pleasure cruise that would have been a "try it, you'll like it" cruise on the Carnival Fantasy in 1993. Loved it and next cruise was the then new MS Ryndam in 1994 and then I was really hooked. :D

SS_United_States_cutaway.jpg

Ship+Photo+UNITED+STATES.jpg

ss United States (1952-present) Built in 1952 by Newport News Shipbuilding & Drydock Company, Newport News, Va for United States Lines. Inspired by the exemplary service of the British liners RMS Queen Mary and RMS Queen Elizabeth which transported hundreds of thousands of U.S. troops to Europe during World War II, the United States government decided to sponsor construction of a large and very fast merchant vessel capable of transporting large numbers of soldiers. Designed by renowned American naval architect and marine engineer William Francis Gibbs, the liner's construction was a joint effort between the United States Navy and United States Lines. The U.S. government underwrote $50 million of the $78 million construction cost, with the ship's operators, United States Lines, contributing the remaining $28 million. In exchange, she was designed to be easily converted into a troopship with a capacity of 15,000 troops, or a hospital ship in the case of war.

Her keel was laid and her hull was constructed in a graving dock. The United States was built to exacting Navy specifications, which required that she be heavily compartmentalized and have separate engine rooms to enable her to survive should she be damaged in war.

To minimize the risk of fire, the designers of the United States did not use a single piece of wood in her framing, accessories or decorations. There were no wood interior surfaces. Fittings, including all furniture and fabrics, were custom made in glass, metal and spun glass fiber to ensure they were in full compliance with strict fireproof guidelines set by the U.S. Navy. Even the clothes hangers in the luxury cabins were made of aluminum. The only wooden equipment used in the construction of the vessel was in the bilge keels and butcher blocks in the galleys. The grand piano in the ballroom was even made of a rare, fire-resistant species of wood, and was originally specified to be made of aluminum. The grand piano was accepted after a demonstration in which gasoline was poured upon the wood and lit without causing the wood itself to catch fire.

The construction of the ship's superstructure involved the largest use of aluminum in any construction project to that time, and presented a special challenge to the builders in joining the aluminum structure to the steel decks below. The significant use of aluminum provided extreme weight savings. At 105 feet beam, the United States was built to Panamax capacity, ensuring that she could clear the Panama Canal locks with just 2 feet to spare on either side.

The United States had the most powerful engine installation in a merchant marine vessel. She was capable of steaming astern at over 20 knots, and could carry enough fuel and stores to steam non-stop for over 10,000 nautical miles.

Also known as "the Big U", she was used on the New York City to Northern Europe service. At 53,329 gross tons, she still is the largest ocean liner to date built entirely in the United States. Embarking on her maiden voyage on July 4, 1952, she smashed the transatlantic speed record held by the Queen Mary for the previous 14 years by over 10 hours, making her maiden crossing from the Ambrose Lightship at New York harbor to Bishop Rock off Cornwall, UK in 3 days, 10 hours, 40 minutes at an average speed of 35.59 knots (40.96 mph). The liner also broke the westbound crossing record by returning to America in 3 days 12 hours and 12 minutes at an average speed of 34.51 knots (39.71 mph), thereby capturing both the eastbound and westbound prestigious Blue Ribands. This marked the first time a U.S.-flagged ship held the Blue Riband, surpassing European speed records which had stood for decades. The United States lost the eastbound record in 1990 to HSC Hoverspeed Great Britain, an ocean-going catamaran, who made the run in 3 days 7 hours 54 minutes, travelling at an average speed of 36.6 knots (67.8 km/h). United States still holds the westbound record, and remains the fastest ocean liner to cross in either direction. She would maintain a 30-knot (35 mph) crossing speed on the North Atlantic in a service career that lasted 17 years.

The United States plied the transatlantic with passenger service until 1969, and she outlasted the demise of her original owners. While at Newport News for her annual overhaul in 1969, her owners decided to take her out of service and she was laid up at Newport News. A few years later, she was moved to Norfolk, Va. Since then, ownership has been passed between several companies.

In 1978 she was sold to private interests who hoped to revitalize the liner in a time-share cruise ship format. Financing fell through and the ship was placed up for auction by MARAD (the United States Marine Administration). During the 1980s she was considered by the United States Navy as a troop ship or a hospital ship to be called the USS United States, but this plan never materialized. In 1984, the ship's remaining fittings and furniture were sold at auction in Norfolk. In 1992, a new consortium of owners bought the vessel and had her towed to Turkey and then Ukraine, where she underwent asbestos removal. No viable agreements were reached in the U.S. for a reworking of the vessel and eventually she was towed to her current dock in South Philadelphia, where she has been moored since 1996.

In 2003, Norwegian Cruise Line (NCL) purchased the ship from the estate of Edward Cantor when she was put up for auction after his death with the stated intent of fully restoring her to a service role in their newly-announced American-flagged Hawaiian passenger service called NCL America. However, she is currently still berthed in Philadelphia, PA until a decision is made about her fate.

Ship+Photo+SS+United+States.jpg

Ship+Photo+United+States.jpg

Our first ship WILL BE the Eurodam in Jan 09! Anniversary of our engagement, Honeymoon and my 31st birthday celebration! Booked a Penthouse and now that its paid for I'm having second thoughts (and third and forth) as to whether that was bright idea! We'll see!

Ship+Photo+Eurodam.jpg

m/s Eurodam (2008-present) Built by Fincantieri - Cantieri Navali Italiani S.p.A. in Marghera (Venice), Italy as the first Signature Class ship for Holland America Line. Following a christening ceremony by Queen Beatrix of the Netherlands on July 1, 2008 at the Wilhelminakade (Wilhelminaquay, named after the Queen's grandmother, Queen Wilhelmina) in Rotterdam, she entered service on July 2 with a three-day pre-inaugural cruise from Rotterdam, the Netherlands to Copenhagen, Denmark and a port call at Hamburg, Germany. She then set off on her maiden voyage from Copenhagen on July 5, 2008.

Eurodam is the 80th ship to enter Holland America's service and, at 86,700 tons and carrying 2,104 passengers, she is the largest Holland America ship to date. New features on Eurodam include Tamarind, a Pan-Asian restaurant, the Silk Den bar, an African-theme to the Explorer's Lounge, Canaletto, an Italian specialty restaurant, and a redesigned atrium and show lounge. Eighty-six percent of the cabins are on the outside, and 67% have balconies. Eurodam has dynamic positioning abilities, is powered by six diesel generators and propelled by Azipod propulsion technology. A sister, to be called Nieuw Amsterdam II, will join the fleet in 2010.

What was your first cruise ship? What cruise line, the year and the itinerary? (if you remember;) ) Did it get you hooked?

USS Miller, FF-1091, a knox class frigate, May 1984, from the moment I stepped aboard I knew I would love being at sea....no matter what type of ship , including those with no windows/portholes :D

First cruiseship was on Carnival, Inspiration cruise from New Orleans as part of our honeymoon in October 2000, western caribbean, I liked it, wife hated Carnival, took another 5 years or so to get her on another ship, HAL and James Deering won her over though :)

What was your first cruise ship? What cruise line, the year and the itinerary? (if you remember;) ) Did it get you hooked?

USS Miller, FF-1091, a knox class frigate, May 1984, from the moment I stepped aboard I knew I would love being at sea....no matter what type of ship , including those with no windows/portholes :D

First cruiseship was on Carnival, Inspiration cruise from New Orleans as part of our honeymoon in October 2000, western caribbean, I liked it, wife hated Carnival, took another 5 years or so to get her on another ship, HAL and James Deering won her over though :)

Just to give Copper a break...... :D

180px-USSMillerFF1091.jpg

USS Miller (FF-1091), originally (DE-1091) was a Knox class frigate of destroyer escorts in the United States Navy. She was named for Cook Third Class Doris "Dorie" Miller, who was awarded the Navy Cross for his actions at the attack on Pearl Harbor.

Miller, a 3963-ton (4,027 t) Knox-class escort ship, was built at Westwego, Louisiana. Commissioned in June 1973, her active service was performed with the Atlantic Fleet, including deployments to the Mediterranean, Northern Europe, the Persian Gulf and the Black Sea. In July 1975, she was reclassified as a frigate and designated FF-1091. Miller transferred to the Naval Reserve Force in January 1982, and thereafter was employed in the western Atlantic and Caribbean areas. She decommissioned in October 1991 and was stricken from the Naval Vessel Register in 1995.

Ship+Photo+USS+MILLER++FF1091.jpg

Here ya go, Frank! Thanks for serving!

USS Miller FF-1091, Built by Avondale Shipyard, Westwego (New Orleans), La and commissioned in the United States Navy on June 30, 1973 as the 40th Knox-class frigate. Originally (DE-1091) a destroyer escort, she was named for Cook Third Class Doris "Dorie" Miller, who was awarded the Navy Cross for his actions at the 1941 Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor.

Her active service was performed with the Atlantic Fleet, including deployments to the Mediterranean, Northern Europe, the Persian Gulf and the Black Sea. In July 1975, she was reclassified as a frigate and designated FF-1091. Miller transferred to the Naval Reserve Force in January 1982, and thereafter was employed in the western Atlantic and Caribbean areas.

Decommissioned on October 15, 1991, and stricken from the Naval Vessel Register on January 11, 1995, the Miller was handed over to the Turkish Navy on July 19, 1999 as a parts-hulk and subsequently sunk as a target in the Turkish Seawolf 2001 naval exercise in June, 2001.

ff1091_2.jpg

Just to give Copper a break...... :D

Ha, beat me to it!;)

Saw that he was aboard a Fast Frigate and had to look it up. Definitely not looking to steal your thunder. :)

My younger brother got orders to report to the FF1078 Joseph Hewes back in 1982(?) and that is the only Navy vessel that I have ever been aboard. His orders were to report to the ship at the Brooklyn Navy Yard and he assumed that they were just finishing a drydock and would be shipping out shortly. He got to NY, spent the weekend with us and I drove him to the Navy Yard on Sunday afternoon. He then discovered that they had pulled the plug on the drydock a couple of days before and he would be there for a while. While he was stationed here I was able to go aboard and see most areas. There were some off limits areas and some things he would neither confirm not deny. :rolleyes:

Saw that he was aboard a Fast Frigate and had to look it up. Definitely not looking to steal your thunder. :)

My younger brother got orders to report to the FF1078 Joseph Hewes back in 1982(?) and that is the only Navy vessel that I have ever been aboard. His orders were to report to the ship at the Brooklyn Navy Yard and he assumed that they were just finishing a drydock and would be shipping out shortly. He got to NY, spent the weekend with us and I drove him to the Navy Yard on Sunday afternoon. He then discovered that they had pulled the plug on the drydock a couple of days before and he would be there for a while. While he was stationed here I was able to go aboard and see most areas. There were some off limits areas and some things he would neither confirm not deny. :rolleyes:

No prob, NYCsurfer! (Thank your younger brother for serving also!)

Take care and be safe!:)