Indonesian visa on arrival for 49 OCEANIAN dollars

marylander2

It is quite intriguing how "O" twists our arms with Indonesian visas for $49.

I reside in Singapore now, and I am going to enjoy (hopefully) S'pore-Sydney cruise in less than a week.

We came today to the Indonesian Embassy here at S'pore to learn that the only way - besides visa-on-arrival - to beat infamous "O"'s offer to get Indo visas is... to purchase single entry tourist visa for 65 Singapore dollars (equal to 45 USD).

With "O"'s warning about forced charge for Indo visa onboard it looks quite obvious that they ("O") are charging for visa-on-arrival the price of "standard" single entry visa, pocketing about 35 USD pp on a clever and simple "prohibition" move, since visa-on-arrival in Indonesia (Semarang, first port) costs 10 USD pp.

But...

We are not entitled.

Nice. Classy, Oceania!

When a couple is spending a combined minimum of eight or ten thousand dollars for a cruise, is it really worth it to worry about a $35 upcharge for Oceania obtaining a visa for you?

If they were keeping $350, I'd say you were right on principle, but $35 is reasonable.

Most of us would prefer that Oceania operate at a profit, especially when sailing through a distant area of the world on one of their ships......

eleususregentstar.JPG Many a beautiful ship has been nickled and dimed into the boneyard.........

eleusismargarita1.JPG

marylander2,

While you may not find the available choices palatable, there are some cruise lines that only offer one visa option for Indonesia (and VoA isn't it):

http://media.azamaracruises.com/azamara/content/pdf/travel_documents/Passport_And_Visa_Information_06-01-09.pdf

I hope you are able to calm down, make your choice of which option to go with then relax and enjoy your cruise.

When a couple is spending a combined minimum of eight or ten thousand dollars for a cruise, is it really worth it to worry about a $35 upcharge for Oceania obtaining a visa for you?

If they were keeping $350, I'd say you were right on principle, but $35 is reasonable.

Most of us would prefer that Oceania operate at a profit, especially when sailing through a distant area of the world on one of their ships

:p:p:p Aren't you the ones who are renting a car on Bali for $45 instead of "helping" Oceania to get a profit by paying ~$400 (for two) for a bus excursion?

It starts from $35 extra for a visa, with $20-25 corkage fee, $200 excursion worth $50, etc. ... Dear Stan&Jim, are you really that generous?

We all have our own habbits in spending money, and I made my savings - apparently - in a bit different way than you, but I am not judging, really.

Cool ships, though :)

marylander2,

While you may not find the available choices palatable, there are some cruise lines that only offer one visa option for Indonesia (and VoA isn't it)...

I hope you are able to calm down, make your choice of which option to go with then relax and enjoy your cruise.

Dino2067, thanks for your hopes. I am OK, really, and I know that I will enjoy the cruise - this is my second time with Nautica, after last year's HKK-ATH (35 days).

I was saying that according to "O", there is no other option in this case, plus, "O" says it will charge my onboard account for I. visa no matter if I want this or not. There was a parallel thread on this subject a few weeks back, if you are interested.

As for Azamara/Celebrity, again, it is the same thing - no option.

Curiously, I wasn't able to get an explanation from "O" Customer Service as to why it is set up this way.

This is just a wild guess on my part, but it could be that you are not considered to have "arrived" until you set foot ashore, and Oceania needs to be certain you have the visa before you go ashore. After all, once ashore, they have no guarantee you will actually obtain the visa. I can see where this could lead to all sorts of problems. Forcing passengers to obtain the visa may be the best type of prevention.

Once the decision is made to obtain the visas for you, and for your protection, it is reasonable for them to collect an additional amount that serves as an administrative fee.

Frankly, I cannot see a cruise line such as Oceania really caring about an extra $25 per passenger so much that they force the visa issue for the sole purpose of increasing revenue. I think that's an unfounded accusation, perhaps based on experience with mass market lines that charge for lemonade...

This is just a wild guess on my part ... Forcing passengers to obtain the visa may be the best type of prevention.

Frankly, I cannot see a cruise line such as Oceania really caring about an extra $25 per passenger so much that they force the visa issue for the sole purpose of increasing revenue. I think that's an unfounded accusation, perhaps based on experience with mass market lines that charge for lemonade...

How did you come up with $25, I wonder?:)

There is not an unfounded:) accusation, just a statement of the fact.

Forcing passengers to do anything is pure forcing. Period.

Most certainly my experience is based on lemonade mass market – 3 times with Radisson Seven Seas (at the times when it was truly Radisson), 3 times with X, twice with Windstar and this will be my second time with O – last time 35 day HKK – ATH last year. Good guess, as my list is a bit more lemonady than yours :)

With regards to how visa on arrival works in ports, your guess, Sir, is wild allright. It is just as in any airport – you cannot get out from the corralled portion of the terminal until you go through the passport control and get a visa.

But why bother to explain... You have just as preconceived of a notion about the OP as Stanandjim.

I like Nautica not for “O” ‘s funny and obvious attempts to nickel-n-dime, but for people who work for us on it, from the engine room to the bridge, from Mario-the-Maître D to a kid who leads a string quartet, who happens to have parents living on the street next to mine some 20 years ago...

Why bother.

Peace.

Did you get an answer from Azamara/Celebrity?

Are there other lines that provide you with the option you are looking for?

As for Azamara/Celebrity, again, it is the same thing - no option.

Curiously, I wasn't able to get an explanation from "O" Customer Service as to why it is set up this way.

Visas are a money spinner with Oceania so I would do some independent enquiries if I were you.

They really p****d me off by gross overcharging a Turkish visa on Nautica. I could have arranged it myself in a previous Turkish port however they somehow had decided to take all passports until we left that port.

It's not the USD35 charge itself which annoyed me but just the feeling of being taken advantage of by cheap nickle and diming. Not something you expect of a luxury cruiseline.

Archived