Unbelievable video on youtube of Miracle riot

smeck

[*]You still don't have to cook, clean, or make the bed. You still get the same food, service and entertainment.

[*]And finally, he said my favorite: where we go is not your business. It's the Captain's decision and the corporate office's decision. Passengers get no say in the matter.

I totally get what he is saying, and anyone who didn't is just plain stupid. Pardon my Italian. I don't see how he could have been more clear.

I really do not believe that this is Carnival's approach to its customers. And to say that the passengers have no say is absurd. Lines which go to unpopular places lose customers. Lines which consistently miss their ports lose customers. Lines which lose enough customers go out of business. What I do agree with is that in cases where there are weather issues, as an example, and safety and comfort require changes, then yes- the customer cannot override the Captain, and should not be complaining- grumbling a bit maybe, but not complaining.

That was that lawyer dude trying to get people to sign his petition.........people reported back after the cruise they didn't even see or hear it........a few people verses 3,000 people on board.......big deal.......

If I was the Captain...the guy with the bad comb-over would have been put off the ship at the next port.

Passenger have no say.....;)

The ship is not a democracy.......it is a dictatorship......the Captain has absolute authority and control.

Just to be clear- I am not suggesting that passengers have a say while on the ship. Nor am I suggesting that the Captain's better judgement should be questioned. But I am suggesting that passengers rule- with their money and patronage. A cruise line with no passengers has little need for a captain.

I really do not believe that this is Carnival's approach to its customers. And to say that the passengers have no say is absurd. Lines which go to unpopular places lose customers. Lines which consistently miss their ports lose customers. Lines which lose enough customers go out of business. What I do agree with is that in cases where there are weather issues, as an example, and safety and comfort require changes, then yes- the customer cannot override the Captain, and should not be complaining- grumbling a bit maybe, but not complaining.

I don't understand your point, here. In this case it WAS an issue of weather and passenger safety, but the irate passengers weren't accepting that. Of COURSE Carnival recognizes that passengers will be happier and business will be better if they actually hit all of the ports they advertise. However, when they decide it is not a good idea to do so, their word is final and passengers really do have no say. It's the simple truth...

Did you watch that video? I watched the whole thing, and I think he communicated very clearly to me, even with the thick Italian accent, I understood every word. Here were the key points:

• We had to divert due to a hurricane.
  • Everyone knows there are hurricanes in August.
  • Even when the wind subsides, the seas are high; a captain with 40 years at sea can handle, but many passengers get sick, so we'll avoid the high seas.
  • The Captain answers to the corporate office. They both make the decisions.
  • Some ports cannot hold but one or two ships. Even if we could make it to a certain port, there may be no room.
  • You still don't have to cook, clean, or make the bed. You still get the same food, service and entertainment.
  • And finally, he said my favorite: where we go is not your business. It's the Captain's decision and the corporate office's decision. Passengers get no say in the matter.

I totally get what he is saying, and anyone who didn't is just plain stupid. Pardon my Italian. I don't see how he could have been more clear.

What people are missing are what he said just prior to these famous lines.

"If I was not a gentleman, I would tell you "I pick you up ...."

He was definitely making a joke. He would have said that if he was NOT a gentleman. But since he is, he obviously would not say that. :D

I don't understand your point, here. In this case it WAS an issue of weather and passenger safety, but the irate passengers weren't accepting that. Of COURSE Carnival recognizes that passengers will be happier and business will be better if they actually hit all of the ports they advertise. However, when they decide it is not a good idea to do so, their word is final and passengers really do have no say. It's the simple truth...

Carnival of course does but some people here repeatedly suggest that passengers have no right to complain whatever the reason for missing a port- that the captain can simply do as he wishes for whatever reason, or indeed for no reason, and passengers are supposed to simply say- ok, whatever you want captain.

I was on the Carnival Miracle during this "riot". I was not a participant in the riot however.

Posts on this subject have come and gone (usually gone, deleted by the moderators)...

When we booked the itinerary (for our honeymoon), the itinerary was supposed to be San Juan, St Thomas, and Tortola.

A number of months (I forget how many now, but it was months - at least 3) we were contacted by our TA that the itinerary was changing due to "propulsion problems". The new itinerary was to be San Juan, St Thomas, and Grand Turk. I was disappointed (really wanted to see Tortola).

We spent about a week in NYC before our cruise, and had a great time. Because we were on our honeymoon, and the weather was good... we weren't following all this talk about the Hurricane.

The day we boarded the cruise ship was the first day we heard about the Hurricane.

We were warned by either the cruise director or captain (can't remember which) that they would keep us aprised of the situation, and there was a letter in our cabin to this effect.

A day or two passed... and a change to the itinerary was announced. Our new itinerary was to be Fort Lauderdale, Nassau, and Freeport.

We were again disappointed... and had to rebook our excursions. We spent the next day at Disney's Animal Kingdom... not exactly the Caribbean, but fun nonetheless.

As we set sail from Fort Lauderdale, a new announcement came. Another change to the itinerary: we were skipping Nassau, and going straight to Freeport. A third port of call was yet to be decided. We were assured that all excursions would be available (even though we would arrive a day early).

As the evening progressed, we happened by the excursion desk. There was a sign stating which excursions were cancelled. Ours was on the list. We acted quickly to change our excursion.

The next morning arrived. Numerous passengers were leaving the ship, excursion tickets in hand.... only to find their excursion had been cancelled, and the remaining excursions were fully booked. There had been no announcement. Poor communication.

The "riot" you have witnessed on youtube (if my memory serves) has yet to happen. The video of the captain speaking on youtube was from the Captain's night.

As the ship left Freeport (we had a great time in Freeport BTW), the final revision to our itinerary was announced. Our third port of call was to be... Newport, Rhode Island!

How did our Caribbean Honeymoon cruise turn into Rhode Island and Florida???

Newport is a tender port, and the use of tenders and life boats proved to be very disorganized. For someone interested in exciting Caribbean type activities like horseback riding in the rainforest, kayaking in the blue Caribbean waters and snorkelling... Rhode Island has nothing to offer. A sea day would have been more enjoyable if it delivered Caribbean weather.

Upon arriving in NYC the next day, the debarking procedure was also very disorganized and lacking communication.

We would be chased by Hurricane weather the remainder of our honeymoon... delays in flights, lost luggage...

So, that's the full story as I remember it... We did go on another cruise with Carnival, but we did not book during hurricane season, and we did not sail out of NYC...

Bottom line.... Don't sail out of NYC during hurricane season.

I would sail during Hurricane season again, just not out of NYC...

Enjoy the read everyone!

Archived