Unbelievable video on youtube of Miracle riot

smeck

Iceshots: That could be the case. After reading the u-tube posters explination [sp]. [glad you pointed that out] It could have been a bad call. Mother nature can be unpradictable. I also like you would like to hear why they were ticked off.

Did a search on 2008, Miracle, hurricane, San Juan, and found a few threads related to these videos. As suspected, there is a big story behind the whole thing.

Here is the link to the first thread I am plowing through. I always have to know the full story. :p

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=840351

The background is this is when Hurricanes Gustav, Hannah and Ike slammed the US and the Caribbean all at the same time last year. No wonder the ship did not know where to go.

There are some interesting comments from experienced cruisers. Even they were ticked off. Sounds like lack of communication, or method of communication is their main complaint. Of course they were probably not in the "riot" and most said they still enjoyed the cruise.

Interesting reading, even though it was over a year ago. At least it gave all the passengers some great cruise stories around the dining room table.

i agree- if you think this is a riot you have never really seen a riot. The Captain could have reduced the tension by beginning with a sincere apology that due to circumstance beyond his control, etc etc. they would not be able to sail into whatever port they were going to miss. That they were really sorry but, etc etc. If that had been the approach when it was first announced, with an explanation that the hurricane made it unsafe, it probably would not have escalated. Yes some people would have been upset, but the video looks to me like mostly a lot of people trying to figure out WHY there had been a change. Doesn't sound like there was much of an attempt to explain it up front.

And I do believe that passengers deserve to know what is going on. I was on a train not long ago that suddenly stopped in the middle of noplace. And stayed stopped. People were beginning to get annoyed and angry. Finally it occurred to someone to tell us what was going on. Bam- everyone cooled off and we waited (a large large rock had rolled down the hill and landed on the tracks). But keeping people informed, and as a representative of the company offering regrets that the plans had changed, goes a long way in keeping spirits bright.

I wondered when I saw it too, is this not all from 2008 and is it not all old news, or did another riot happen?:confused:

It was a video from a cruise that was diverted to Rhode Island I believe because of hurricane someone or another. Everyone was bent out of shshape because they paid for a carib. cruise and didn't get it. Yada Yada..same old same old. I also believe it was the thread talking about how rude the captain was...of course it was poofed.

I vividly recall my take on the way those pax were actings...FWIW..it was late August...Folks probably desperate to get away before the summer ends....don't want to fly etc. etc.....the DH or DW or kids convinces everyone to take a cruise...you will just love it......and these certainly are not seasoned cruisers...disappointed of course....but not seasoned cruisers...because a seasoned cruiser knows that diversions happen and while they do not usually like it....know that they have no control over it....these pax were actually demanding to go to the carib. if I recall correctly...and there was a lawyer on board threatening lawsuits...and posting here as well about it...it was a real popcorn thread in the classic sense.....and of course in the classic sense it was poofed..and there were many threads on the same issue going at the same time.

I loved the video of the captain, when he said:

I pick-a you up from New York. I bring-a you back to New York. Where I go in between, is-a not your business.

Oh, that was classic. A perfect raspberry in the face of all those morons who think the Captain or the cruise line has some obligation to go to where they originally planned to go.

No, there is no obligation to follow the published itinerary, and if Port Canaveral and the Bahamas are substituted for Mexico and Belize, you passengers have no say in the matter, and are owed very little, if any compensation for the change.

I see about 10 (at the most) people who are visibly upset. I see a lot more who are standing around - watching and filming.

Looks like most of them are pretty calm. But of course we all focus on the few loud crazy ones. No riot.

Did you the view the other video that was accompanied with it. It appeared to me as the guy doing the shouting and pointing his finger in the air and the two women behind him, looked like they were ready to rumble. Watts riots in its infancy. BTW, I saw plenty of riots on the streets of San Francisco during the late 60's (anti-Viet Nam war), it only took a couple of people to get it going. Too bad it came to that, because people paid their fare and had to be brought down by that kind of behavior.

I loved the video of the captain, when he said:

Oh, that was classic. A perfect raspberry in the face of all those morons who think the Captain or the cruise line has some obligation to go to where they originally planned to go.

No, there is no obligation to follow the published itinerary, and if Port Canaveral and the Bahamas are substituted for Mexico and Belize, you passengers have no say in the matter, and are owed very little, if any compensation for the change.

The Captain's attitude is the explanation for the passenger behavior. Had he bothered to communicate more clearly early on he likely would have not been faced with this situation.

The Captain's attitude is the explanation for the passenger behavior. Had he bothered to communicate more clearly early on he likely would have not been faced with this situation.

Did you watch that video? I watched the whole thing, and I think he communicated very clearly to me, even with the thick Italian accent, I understood every word. Here were the key points:

• We had to divert due to a hurricane.
  • Everyone knows there are hurricanes in August.
  • Even when the wind subsides, the seas are high; a captain with 40 years at sea can handle, but many passengers get sick, so we'll avoid the high seas.
  • The Captain answers to the corporate office. They both make the decisions.
  • Some ports cannot hold but one or two ships. Even if we could make it to a certain port, there may be no room.
  • You still don't have to cook, clean, or make the bed. You still get the same food, service and entertainment.
  • And finally, he said my favorite: where we go is not your business. It's the Captain's decision and the corporate office's decision. Passengers get no say in the matter.

I totally get what he is saying, and anyone who didn't is just plain stupid. Pardon my Italian. I don't see how he could have been more clear.

If you go to other sites around, you will see posts from passengers who were on this cruise and who praised the Captain and crew for the way it was handled. Announcements were made frequently, notes were sent around to all the cabins. Updates were announced over the televisions in the cabins. Maps and weather information was posted around the ship.

There are also comments and posts from crew and staff on the ship and comments by the VP of Carnival.

Without exception, they condemn the nitwits who were involved and seemed to have a particular distaste for "mr. lawyer".....

Archived