The SUSPENSE is killing me! Miracle...

disfan13

Yep, will be interesting to read those posts when (if) they appear online here. According the the weather reports this morning, there's additional rain being added to the already flared tempers. Yowza!! :eek:

yup--here in NJ/NY--raining now...BUT-the bad part of Hannah will be at today's sailing...heavy rain and wind..later today into tonight..

We really want to book the Miracle. I doubt any bad press or posts will ever deter us from Carnival anyway!

Here's is an interesting thought...It was an 8 nighter....they got 8 nights, right?

I have been thru a hurricane cruise and if I were on this one, with all the ports they got (good one's too!), what I would be upset about is......that they didn't EXTEND the cruise!!!!!!

Just think, if Hanna HAD hit NYC this morning, and the Miracle did not make it back, they could have added...Boston, Portland,sea day.......

You get the idea and you can tell how I feel about the troll who made sure there was trouble on that cruise!

No one on that cruise is going to miss school, work, etc. They could have removed themselves at the first port (or the captain could have)

My guess is that they had a great vacation and as usual it was all blown out of proportion anyway.:rolleyes:

From Today's Providence Journal.... ( I took out the parts that didnt pertain to the cruise)

Hanna comes howling

09:14 AM EDT on Saturday, September 6, 2008

By Tom Mooney

Journal Staff Writer

JA0906_hanna2_09-06-08_2JBFV0K.jpg Ruth LeBlanc, above, in Matunuck, puts things away around her trailer yesterday in advance of Tropical Storm Hanna. At left, the Carnival Miracle cruise ship makes an unexpected stop in Newport after being diverted from the Caribbean due to the storms.

The Providence Journal / Steve Szydlowski

NEWPORT — Before the first breath of wind or drop of rain from Hanna had arrived in Rhode Island yesterday, an 88,500-ton harbinger of the tropical storm found itself floating in Newport Harbor.

And the 2,100 passengers aboard the cruise ship Carnival Miracle were as angry as a flock of grackles blown off their migration route.

“They knew the storm was coming and they had no backup plan,” groused Corissa McEwen of New York City, one of the passengers whose Caribbean vacation got more than a bit turned around by the approaching storm. “We were out to sea for days and they didn’t know what port to stop at.”

Along much of the East Coast yesterday, Tropical Storm Hanna interrupted plans and captured people’s attention.

In Rhode Island, marinas on both sides of Narragansett Bay were securing docks and boats with extra lines, if not removing them from the water, with weather forecasts predicting wind gusts up to 50 mph. The state Emergency Management Agency activated its center in Cranston. Safety officials from Little Compton to Woonsocket tested radios, chain saws and tree chippers. Waterfront communities closed their beaches for the weekend.

Related links

Tips on preparing for the storm

Local storm watch news, from projo.com's 7to7blog

Local cancellations, from wpri.com

R.I. hurricane preparedness resources

Local emergency management contacts

National Grid emergency contacts (1-800-465-1212)

The National Weather Service predicted between 3 and 6 inches of rain throughout much of the region during Hanna’s weekend visit and issued a flash-flood watch.

And then there was that diverted cruise ship.

Dennis and Sharon Pacchioli, of Bethlehem, Pa., had been on eight cruises before they boarded the Carnival Miracle in New York on Aug. 29 for an eight-day vacation in San Juan, Puerto Rico, Saint Thomas and the Turks and Caicos Islands.

But the storm, they said, prevented the ship from getting south of Florida. Then, the couple and others said, the captain seemed just to cruise around on a whim and continually changed plans, infuriating his passengers.

“We have never had an experience like this before in our lives,” said Sharon Pacchioli. “People on that ship are so upset. Some wanted to get off in New York when we went by it again and now we’re just going to turn around and go back there tomorrow.”

The storm brewing aboard the Carnival Miracle last evening as it was preparing to depart Newport Harbor appeared destined to rival whatever frustration Hanna brought ashore this weekend.

Me too!

Can hardly do any yardwork today while this thing passes.

Anyone try cutting the air with a knife?

Better yet, I wonder if Tappy Phillips and the channel 7 crew are down at the docks.

UGH

I have my central air on 67 and its still not cool enough... its gross outside!

Only going to get worse later on...

I too can not wait to hear about this week's sailing:)

Well, at least it was a beautiful day in Newport yesterday for those diverted. I suppose those complaining would rather have been in the storm. :rolleyes:

I can't stand this humidity...it's really oppressive with a dew point at 74 degrees....almost off the charts.

Hmmmm...... I hope the angry mobs didn't trash the ship! :eek: We'll be boarding the Miracle from Ft. Lauderdale next month for a much anticipated southern Caribbean cruise. And of course, we are hoping for no hurricanes that week to mess up our plans.

I feel badly for those passengers, but it's easy to understand why the captain was undecided about where to go. Ike doesn't seem to know where it wants to go or what category it will be, so how can a captain predict how to stay out of its path? "Angry" is not the emotion they should have right now. "Disappointed" is more logical. But we all know how some people act under these circumstances. I'm sure they think it's all Carnival's fault that a hurricane or tropical storm dared to appear during their cruise. Shame on Carnival for that!! (Never mind that they booked at the height of hurricane season. :rolleyes:)

From Today's Providence Journal.... ( I took out the parts that didnt pertain to the cruise)

Hanna comes howling

09:14 AM EDT on Saturday, September 6, 2008

By Tom Mooney

Journal Staff Writer

JA0906_hanna2_09-06-08_2JBFV0K.jpg Ruth LeBlanc, above, in Matunuck, puts things away around her trailer yesterday in advance of Tropical Storm Hanna. At left, the Carnival Miracle cruise ship makes an unexpected stop in Newport after being diverted from the Caribbean due to the storms.

The Providence Journal / Steve Szydlowski

NEWPORT — Before the first breath of wind or drop of rain from Hanna had arrived in Rhode Island yesterday, an 88,500-ton harbinger of the tropical storm found itself floating in Newport Harbor.

And the 2,100 passengers aboard the cruise ship Carnival Miracle were as angry as a flock of grackles blown off their migration route.

“They knew the storm was coming and they had no backup plan,” groused Corissa McEwen of New York City, one of the passengers whose Caribbean vacation got more than a bit turned around by the approaching storm. “We were out to sea for days and they didn’t know what port to stop at.”

Along much of the East Coast yesterday, Tropical Storm Hanna interrupted plans and captured people’s attention.

In Rhode Island, marinas on both sides of Narragansett Bay were securing docks and boats with extra lines, if not removing them from the water, with weather forecasts predicting wind gusts up to 50 mph. The state Emergency Management Agency activated its center in Cranston. Safety officials from Little Compton to Woonsocket tested radios, chain saws and tree chippers. Waterfront communities closed their beaches for the weekend.

Related links

Tips on preparing for the storm

Local storm watch news, from projo.com's 7to7blog

Local cancellations, from wpri.com

R.I. hurricane preparedness resources

Local emergency management contacts

National Grid emergency contacts (1-800-465-1212)

The National Weather Service predicted between 3 and 6 inches of rain throughout much of the region during Hanna’s weekend visit and issued a flash-flood watch.

And then there was that diverted cruise ship.

Dennis and Sharon Pacchioli, of Bethlehem, Pa., had been on eight cruises before they boarded the Carnival Miracle in New York on Aug. 29 for an eight-day vacation in San Juan, Puerto Rico, Saint Thomas and the Turks and Caicos Islands.

But the storm, they said, prevented the ship from getting south of Florida. Then, the couple and others said, the captain seemed just to cruise around on a whim and continually changed plans, infuriating his passengers.

“We have never had an experience like this before in our lives,” said Sharon Pacchioli. “People on that ship are so upset. Some wanted to get off in New York when we went by it again and now we’re just going to turn around and go back there tomorrow.”

The storm brewing aboard the Carnival Miracle last evening as it was preparing to depart Newport Harbor appeared destined to rival whatever frustration Hanna brought ashore this weekend.

I can empathize with the passengers disappointment but the attitude of some as mentioned in the article and the speculation about the captains whims.. (30yrs experience... guess he does not know what to do :rolleyes: ) is just ridiculous.. I can only guess these people never cruised before or have done no research.

There were (are) 3 different storms to contend with -Hanna Ike and Josephine.. Where was the Captain suppose to put the ship? And where were the captains of all the cruiseships out there, supposed to put their ships?

I guess in their minds this would not have happened on another ship or another cruise line.. :rolleyes:

I just don't understand why they are getting so upset! When you plan a cruise in hurricane season you have no one to blame but yourself for the detours weather whatever. Carnival or any other line did not PLAN for a hurricane. Hurricanes are very unpredictable and I can understand all of the course changes. You never know which way the storm will shift next.

Maybe next time they will rethink the time of year they cruise. :rolleyes:

Cruise ship diverted to Newport

Friday, Sep 05, 2008 - 05:45 PM Updated: 08:06 PM

NEWPORT, R.I. -- A cruise ship bound for the Carribean was diverted to Newport after Hurricane Hanna whipped up the Atlantic and forced the ship to head north.

When the Carnival Cruise ship "Miracle" left New York on Aug. 29, it was headed for San Juan, Puerto Rico and St. Thomas.

But cruise officials kept an eye on Hanna.

By Monday, Hanna was a hurricane forcing the cruise line to change course. After stops in Florida and the Bahamas, the ship headed north for Newport.

"It's always helpful when someone comes in and wants to spend time and money in our community," said Keith Stokes, executive director of the Newport County Chamber of Commerce.

Not only did Hanna did have an impact on Carnival's cruise ship, but Stokes said it will also have a financial impact on tourism over the weekend.

"The number one determinant of tourism in New England is the weather -- especially the weekend. And if there's inclement weather, it's a problem," Stokes said.

Despite the predicted soaking rains, whipping winds, and strong surf Stokes said Hanna will certainly not shut down Newport.

"They may not be on the beach or on the harbor front but they are going to be visiting mansions, the restaurants and our other historical attractions," he said.

0016.Image.NULL,NULL.300,198,2,NULL,NULL.MGSpooler.img

http://www.turnto10.com/northeast/jar/news.apx.-content-articles-JAR-2008-09-05-0018.html

Why would any one think the Captain has the ability to choose which ports to replace ports that are not available. It takes a lot of work to do this. They can not just pull up to a port and let all the passengers off. These decisions are not just made in a split second.

Me too!

Can hardly do any yardwork today while this thing passes.

Anyone try cutting the air with a knife?

Better yet, I wonder if Tappy Phillips and the channel 7 crew are down at the docks.

It's 75 degrees with a dew point of 74 up here right now - no rain yet, but the radar looks ugly. I was supposed to take youngest son on a 2-hour Hudson River cruise this afternoon - that's not happening, although there are a few brave (or crazy) souls out on the river. (Pete - were you up here last weekend? It was beautiful!)

All things considered, I would have much preferred a week on the Miracle playing "keep away" with Hanna than working and packing the kids off to school. We did our "keep away" cruise on Conquest 3 years ago with Hurricane Dennis; I think the complainers were kept at bay by the handwritten chart the crew displayed right on the Promenade deck next to the map that showed the position of the hurricane compared to the position of the ship. It was clear to anyone except the completely oblivious that the ship simply was not going to sail near the hurricane.

Did the ship run out of food or drinks? If not, then I wouldn't have had a problem sailing this hurricane cruise.:)

I am right there with you!!! When we sail during the hurricane months we know the iten. may get changed & we know we may not go to any ports. We don't care as long as we are on the ship having a good and relaxing time. We sail in two weeks and all we care about is getting on the ship on the 20th. :)

I am right there with you!!! When we sail during the hurricane months we know the iten. may get changed & we know we may not go to any ports. We don't care as long as we are on the ship having a good and relaxing time. We sail in two weeks and all we care about is getting on the ship on the 20th. :)

I agree.. they could dock in Staten Island for all I care.. if I am having a good time on board- the music is playing..

Keep me on board indefinitely.. I can become the new Legend of 1900 LOL

I, too, am waiting for first hand reports about Miracle's cruise. Just went on the website: pied piper travel webcam and all the ships are lined up at the pier waiting to depart at 5. Can't you just hear the captain saying "after this last bunch I ain't going out again".

I, too, am waiting for first hand reports about Miracle's cruise. Just went on the website: pied piper travel webcam and all the ships are lined up at the pier waiting to depart at 5. Can't you just hear the captain saying "after this last bunch I ain't going out again".

LOL--the captain and the crew must be totally exhausted after this week! I hope at least some of the crew got a few hours in NYC to blow off some steam!

Archived