The SUSPENSE is killing me! Miracle...

disfan13

Oahugirl I agree with you on his comments. Remember the one after he announced we were going to Rhode Island? He said we "...paid for 3 ports and we got exactly what we paid for..." Basically saying, so what or who cares were we go. Wow!

The staff was great and overall I had a great time. First cruise for me and I was well informed. Thanks to this website :). Unfortunately most first timers did little to no research and were surprised and angered by the $160.00 gratuities and the itinerary overhaul.

Is that Carnival's or Captain Volpi's fault? No. But you don't remedy ignorance with indifference or an attitude especially when people have saved all year to take their families on a vacation or had weddings planned and guest waiting at a missed port.

Talking down to your passengers is just bad customer service, regardless of the weather!

Not Cool :(

I was not on the Miracle for this sailing. I was on the Miracle 8-13 and we were lucky because Tropical Storm Fay went through San Juan and St. Thomas the day before we arrived at each port. We had jackets with us because we did watch the weather reports and were thinking that we were heading to the New England route if this storm got bad.

I do not understand some of your statements.

How could anyone not know that they were to pay automatic gratuities? The people in question either booked with Carnival or a TA and they received documents stating this. This could not be new information to them on-board the ship.

As far as the Wedding and the relatives in St. Thomas is concerned. Carnival had no responsibility for this according to the other thread on the topic. It sounds like they had a lot to deal with and their indifference was warranted in my opinion. Indifference is not the same as talking down to someone. I was not there so I do not know what was said or implied.

It is difficult to cruise during peak hurricaine season. We have cruised in August since 2004. We have been lucky. I hope that you have better weather on your next cruise.

Now we can wait to hear from the passengers leaving today from nyc straight into Hanna, unless they cut a very wide path. I don't understand that some passengers didn't realize that gratuities for 8 days were $160. $10 a day x 8 is $80 x 2 is $160. This is general knowledge.

Now we can wait to hear from the passengers leaving today from nyc straight into Hanna, unless they cut a very wide path. I don't understand that some passengers didn't realize that gratuities for 8 days were $160. $10 a day x 8 is $80 x 2 is $160. This is general knowledge.

today's passengers will NOT be happy with sail away weather...:(

it is pouring here now...and the next few hours will be more of same with winds...! Hoping, though, they have a great trip once they clear this weather:)

Thanks Satirical...Appreciate your back up on this one!:) Yea, I do remember the comment! To others who weren't on this cruise, please understand, that no matter what was said, we had a great time otherwise-the staff were wonderful and worked so hard to make the trip enjoyable-a great bunch! The weather was beautiful (thanks to the diversion from the involved ports!), and we had a beautiful cabin. It was disappointing we didn't get to scheduled ports, but what can you do! I thought Newport was beautiful, and a nice way to end the cruise. Hope you had fun otherwise like we did.

Thanks Satirical...Appreciate your back up on this one!:) Yea, I do remember the comment! To others who weren't on this cruise, please understand, that no matter what was said, we had a great time otherwise-the staff were wonderful and worked so hard to make the trip enjoyable-a great bunch! The weather was beautiful (thanks to the diversion from the involved ports!), and we had a beautiful cabin. It was disappointing we didn't get to scheduled ports, but what can you do! I thought Newport was beautiful, and a nice way to end the cruise. Hope you had fun otherwise like we did.

You have a much better outlook than the original poster.. glad you had a good time.. dont misunderstand me.. I would be very disappointed too.. but 'protesting' and questioning the Captain.. will everyone nowhere!;)

the disgruntled passengers removed their tips from the "hard-working" crew. Both recent Miracle posters seem to agree the crew kept their standard of service up.

Seems very unfair to me.

Maybe a few more passengers will post comments. I hope so.

Hi Trock, Thanks, but I think I am the originally poster you were talking about!...I was the one upset about the Captain's comments-I was actually saddened by them. But that didn't stop us from having a great time on a great ship! We had fun no matter what!:D I would sail on the Miracle again no matter how momentarily irritated I was! I didnt want to come home today!!!!!:(

UGH

I have my central air on 67 and its still not cool enough... its gross outside!

Only going to get worse later on...

I too can not wait to hear about this week's sailing:)

The rain is here, in central westchester. It really cooled off!

Hi Trock, Thanks, but I think I am the originally poster you were talking about!...I was the one upset about the Captain's comments-I was actually saddened by them. But that didn't stop us from having a great time on a great ship! We had fun no matter what!:D I would sail on the Miracle again no matter how momentarily irritated I was! I didnt want to come home today!!!!!:(

I am sorry I was back and forth between threads.. You were not the poster I was referring to...:)

the disgruntled passengers removed their tips from the "hard-working" crew. Both recent Miracle posters seem to agree the crew kept their standard of service up.

Seems very unfair to me.

How unfair to advertise a Caribbean cruise and not get one?

The change ports at anytime does not release them from providing what they advertised.There are many Caribbean islands out there and they chose not to go to save on fuel.

The correct thing would be to give each passenger $80 credit on top of refunding excess port charges.

How unfair to allow legal filing only in Miami?

The change ports at anytime does not release them from providing what they advertised.There are many Caribbean islands out there and they chose not to go to save on fuel.

The correct thing would be to give each passenger $80 credit on top of refunding excess port charges.

I respectfully disagree. In order to get to the many Caribbean Islands out there, it is possible, that they would have to go through the storm anyway.

Cruising from NYC is a challenge - nevermind only one way up and back - whereas from MIami, you can go left or right to avoid a storm.

It would have been nice of them to provide some compensation, yes, but not required.

Catrin

Yeah I just found out about that. "Fame" wasn't my intention. Just trying to give information to those who might need it. That's all.

Who would need it? You folks were being taken care of and you weren't delayed or shortened. You had your 8 days, you arrived home as expected so the only thing that happened was that your ports were changed. Anyone who was going to pick you up today would not have had to change a thing. You will still be back at work on Monday.

Who needed to know? The private tour companies you booked with? They would have found out anyway. They can't charge your credit card as it was out of your control. If they do you dispute it because as I said it was out of your control. It would be a valid dispute.

I am planning our third Carnival cruise and everything negative I have ever heard on these boards regarding Carnival has never materialized for me thankfully.

I will go back to my initial philosophy as to why so many feel the need to flame these boards. They are just not great travelers. Either they don't like it, can't really afford it, money as well as time wise, etc. etc.

Now before anyone responds, yes, of course there could be problems on a cruise. Bad weather, virus, poor choice of cabin or poor tablemates. All that sort of stuff. However, cabin is what it is and most of them are good, and tablemates can be changed or ignored. Speak to the maitre d, see what can happen. If you really are worried about poor tablemates, then what can I say? How about an all inclusive in the Dominican Republic? There is always a solution.

The food is great, the entertainment is good and the itins are excellent. The vast majority of the crew is above excellent and the ships I have sailed on were very clean. BTW, why would I even care if a cup of juice or a dirty plate were left somewhere for 10 seconds? They will clean it up but it may take a minute or 2.;) ;) ;) ;)

JMHO

It is true that a lot of passengers requested and got a refund on the automatic gratuities...I saw the lines at the purser's desk the night of the "mob scene". Unfortunately, the few who originally started the whole thing seemed to have convinced a good amount of passengers that Carnival was possibly skimming money off the top of the 80 bucks per person, and they questioned if the staff were really getting the money they were supposed to. Hopefully, the ones who requested the refund opted to tip the crew with cash instead. They deserved it!!!

I haven't bothered to read this entire thread but wanted to chime in here. I will post my review soon.

This was our 8th CCL cruise. 2nd time on the Miracle ( first time on this itinerary- on CCL)

Yes, it is the middle of hurricane season, yes we knew it beforehand. IMHO, it was all about $$ with CCL- just like when they switched from Tortola to GT. It was obvious as soon as the home office made the decision to turn right into the projected path of the storm we were never going to get to any Caribbean port of call- unless Hanna turned around ;)

For us it was the 'lemons/lemonade' cruise. We met a bunch of great people and had fun.

As far as the ship. entertainment, food etc. that will be discussed in another post :D

I will double check but I beleive that Captain Volpi was our captain and we were on the Miracle 8-13-08 to 8-21-08.

I found my Carnival Capers from 8-13-08.

Captain: Roberto Volpi

Hotel Director: Zijad Harcevic

Cruise Director: Brent Mitchell

Seems very unfair to me.

Very unfair indeed.

The ship was coming south, a hurrican was coming north and anothe one heading east to west below Florida. How do you propose that ship was to get to other Caribbean islands?

My family and friends just got off the Miracle too. I will post a more detailed review later but I will say that I wil NEVER cruise out of NYC in Hurricane season again. I was embarassed by the behavior of many of the guests. This was not a pleasant group of people and unlike the passengers I have met on all my previous Carnival cruises. I am from NJ and I couldn't stand many of them. I have no idea what people from other parts of the country must think. The instigator was an attorney from NY who apparently cannot read because he did not understand his contract and he got a lot of people upset. They then removed their gratuities which in turn got a lot of the crew very upset. There were many cranky people on board which did dampen the atmosphere on board. However, I will quickly say that most of ths could have been avoided with better communication from the Captain. We went over 12 hours with no updates on the weather, ports etc. Many passengers were anxious and this contributed to the problem. I heard that there was also some vandalism in the cabins ( I cannot confirm this however). I was very disappointed in how Carnival handled this. The Purser's desk was not very co-operative. It appeared to many as if they were told not to give out any information. However, we all still had a good time --you have to make lemonade from the lemons you sometimes get.

My family and friends just got off the Miracle too. I will post a more detailed review later but I will say that I wil NEVER cruise out of NYC in Hurricane season again. I was embarassed by the behavior of many of the guests. This was not a pleasant group of people and unlike the passengers I have met on all my previous Carnival cruises. I am from NJ and I couldn't stand many of them. I have no idea what people from other parts of the country must think. The instigator was an attorney from NY who apparently cannot read because he did not understand his contract and he got a lot of people upset. They then removed their gratuities which in turn got a lot of the crew very upset. There were many cranky people on board which did dampen the atmosphere on board. However, I will quickly say that most of ths could have been avoided with better communication from the Captain. We went over 12 hours with no updates on the weather, ports etc. Many passengers were anxious and this contributed to the problem. I heard that there was also some vandalism in the cabins ( I cannot confirm this however). I was very disappointed in how Carnival handled this. The Purser's desk was not very co-operative. It appeared to many as if they were told not to give out any information. However, we all still had a good time --you have to make lemonade from the lemons you sometimes get.

This is very disappointing to hear.. Having cruised many times out of NYC its sad that a few spoil the cruise..

I dont think NY/NYC has the monopoly on slimey attorneys... ;)

Glad you tried to make the best of it....

Just back from the Miracle. We were not angry about the itinerary change. The problem was a COMPLETE lack of communication, very dismissive response from the Captain, receiving information TOO LATE to make changes, and a very truculent response from some staff.

Please stop responding that people know what they're getting when they travel during hurricane season! We were not upset that they took steps to keep us safe - we were upset that they did it in a very secretive haphazard way. I know that Carnival is announcing that they let us know all sorts of info, but that is a little inaccurate.

Here is what I have posted elsewhere:

For those of you who weren't on this voyage from hell, please don't comment until you find out WHY people were upset.

Veteran cruisers were not angry that we were re-routed - that is expected and safe practice. We are angry about the customer service (or lack thereof) in the way that we were provided with information. I haven't seen all the posts or stories about this, so I have no idea how calm and cogent people are being about explaining what happened to us.

In my particular case, the time and destination was dictated by a family event. We were traveling to celebrate the birthday (only comes in September) of an elderly relative who is afraid to fly (leaves out a flight) and who was born in the US Virgin Islands (we had to take a shot at St. Thomas).

I say take a shot, because we did acknowledge the possibility of hurricanes causing a change in itinerary. I don't know how many of my fellow travelers have mentioned that Carnival offers a Satisfaction Guarantee - if you aren't enjoying your trip, you can depart at your first non-US port, and they will pay for your ticket home. The Captain deliberately hinted at an interesting third port and only mentioned that it would be Newport after we had left our ONLY non-US port. The change in itinerary was also announced after we had been at sea for a day. If either of these announcements had been made in a more timely fashion, I could have made different choices. If the change in itinerary (from Caribbean to Florida-Bahamas) had been mentioned as a possible detour before departure, I would have seriously considered activating my travel insurance options. If I had known we were going to Newport, I would definitely have disembarked in Freeport and gotten back at least HALF of my cruise ticket price as well as a free plane ticket home. It is hard not to suspect that these two announcements were TIMED to avoid wholesale departures.

Furthermore, the customer service response to the passengers' disappointment was ludicrous. To make an announcement chiding the passengers for being disappointed because "you have had 8 days of room and board, 8 days of entertainment, and 3 ports. That is what you paid for." is almost guranteed to foment sullenness and rebellion. I understand that the customer "mutiny" mentioned above got most of the attention, but that was a small group of passengers, and I don't believe anyone became violent or seriously disorderly. The increased security patrols in response were gratuitous and insulting to the well-behaved passengers.

I agree that withdrawing the tips hurts only hard-working underpaid staff. That's why we tipped those who gave us good service directly. But the difference in our experience between Carnival and the Holland America Noordam last year was night and day. I will never travel with Carnival again.

Yes it would of been so much more fair to sail into a hurricane:rolleyes: . Especially the ones that had just been hit or were being hit at the time:rolleyes: . Maybe they could of added to those who lost their lives :rolleyes: .

Just back from the Miracle. We were not angry about the itinerary change. The problem was a COMPLETE lack of communication, very dismissive response from the Captain, receiving information TOO LATE to make changes, and a very truculent response from some staff.

Please stop responding that people know what they're getting when they travel during hurricane season! We were not upset that they took steps to keep us safe - we were upset that they did it in a very secretive haphazard way. I know that Carnival is announcing that they let us know all sorts of info, but that is a little inaccurate.

For those of you who weren't on this voyage from hell, please don't comment until you find out WHY people were upset.

Veteran cruisers were not angry that we were re-routed - that is expected and safe practice. We are angry about the customer service (or lack thereof) in the way that we were provided with information. I haven't seen all the posts or stories about this, so I have no idea how calm and cogent people are being about explaining what happened to us.

In my particular case, the time and destination was dictated by a family event. We were traveling to celebrate the birthday (only comes in September) of an elderly relative who is afraid to fly (leaves out a flight) and who was born in the US Virgin Islands (we had to take a shot at St. Thomas).

I say take a shot, because we did acknowledge the possibility of hurricanes causing a change in itinerary. I don't know how many of my fellow travelers have mentioned that Carnival offers a Satisfaction Guarantee - if you aren't enjoying your trip, you can depart at your first non-US port, and they will pay for your ticket home. The Captain deliberately hinted at an interesting third port and only mentioned that it would be Newport after we had left our ONLY non-US port. The change in itinerary was also announced after we had been at sea for a day. If either of these announcements had been made in a more timely fashion, I could have made different choices. If the change in itinerary (from Caribbean to Florida-Bahamas) had been mentioned as a possible detour before departure, I would have seriously considered activating my travel insurance options. If I had known we were going to Newport, I would definitely have disembarked in Freeport and gotten back at least HALF of my cruise ticket price as well as a free plane ticket home. It is hard not to suspect that these two announcements were TIMED to avoid wholesale departures.

Furthermore, the customer service response to the passengers' disappointment was ludicrous. To make an announcement chiding the passengers for being disappointed because "you have had 8 days of room and board, 8 days of entertainment, and 3 ports. That is what you paid for." is almost guranteed to foment sullenness and rebellion. I understand that the customer "mutiny" mentioned above got most of the attention, but that was a small group of passengers, and I don't believe anyone became violent or seriously disorderly. The increased security patrols in response were gratuitous and insulting to the well-behaved passengers.

I agree that withdrawing the tips hurts only hard-working underpaid staff. That's why we tipped those who gave us good service directly. But the difference in our experience between Carnival and the Holland America Noordam last year was night and day. I will never travel with Carnival again.

Sometimes the Captain just does not know where the ship will be directed.. There are other ships at sea also looking for safe harbor.

I am sorry your family event was ruined but it is irrelevant to the cruise. Sorry but it is, you booked passage on a cruise not transportation to the Virgin Islands.

I am still finding it odd that the Captain would make these announcements and the main sources we have are posters that signed up today-

I apologize for being so skeptical but we read so many one hit wonders that it does bring doubt to one's mind.

As far as what transpired with the itinerary being about money, Carnival is a business.. they are not a charity.. why should they lose money and supply their product? Its a compromise... I agree with an other poster that some obc should have been offered...

Good Luck on your next cruise.. safe sailings

I haven't bothered to read this entire thread but wanted to chime in here. I will post my review soon.

This was our 8th CCL cruise. 2nd time on the Miracle ( first time on this itinerary- on CCL)

Yes, it is the middle of hurricane season, yes we knew it beforehand. IMHO, it was all about $$ with CCL- just like when they switched from Tortola to GT. It was obvious as soon as the home office made the decision to turn right into the projected path of the storm we were never going to get to any Caribbean port of call- unless Hanna turned around ;)

For us it was the 'lemons/lemonade' cruise. We met a bunch of great people and had fun.

As far as the ship. entertainment, food etc. that will be discussed in another post :D

Crips, you said the magic words, the "home office" everyone assumed the Captain made the call and everyone should know that it is not just his decision, my guess would be that these changes were determined by many not just the Captain.

Yes I am cruising during the hurricane season and realize that changes could occur and most likely will. Each of the excursions that we have privately booked have the policy of no charge if the ship does not make the port.

Sounds like alot of things could have been avoided with better communication......... good grief..........hopefully this Captain and crew can learn from their mistakes......

Archived