Sun Cruise Nov 3-Dec 6

14 Days or Longer

I'm really starting to wonder what the real story is here...

What has been described doesn't quite jive with the symptoms associated with norovirus

They are REQUIRED to notify CDC of any outbreak that affects more than 3% of the people...and this cruise was NOT reported to CDC.

---To put this in perspective, 3% of 2000 people is just 60 cases. So for all the reports in this thread, the grand total had to be less than 60.

For those who are going to sail elsewhere...there have been 13 reported outbreaks of norovirus this year.

--6 times on a HAL ship

--3 times on a Princess ship

--2 times on a Celebrity ship

--1 time on a Carnival ship

--1 time on a NCL ship

So...if 1 outbreak of what is NOT norovirus is enough to make you go elsewhere, what are you going to do when the alternatives can be as much as six times worse?

I'm no thespian, but it sounds like there was a severe outbreak of drama on this cruise :rolleyes:

Is is possible that the ship not docking on US soil allows them to not report to CDC?

PE

We just got back from the worse 14 day cruise of our lives!!!! Seems like everyone got the Norovirus and it was as sick as I have ever been...I ran a 102 temperature and was put on Cipro...the ship was filthy, the person in charge of our room actually put little white paper coasters on glasses that were used instead of replacing them...everything that could go wrong did...we did not meet anyone who was happy with NCL...book a cruise on the Sun and, instead of gaining weight, you will get home thinner than you could ever image yourself...it should be called the weight watchers cruise, if you live long enough to make it off the ship from HELL ...:(

When we do become unwell especially on a ship and miles from home things can look and feel much worse than what they are. On the NCL Sun the crew on our September cruise kept the ship spotless and in particular our room people were great.

There is no confusing the Norovirus with a cold ... The Norovirus causes vomiting and diarrhea with a high possibility of bloody stools ... Trust me on this ... you would know if you had the Norovirus because it attacks your whole gastrointestinal track cramps etc.

Sorry to disappoint you Sea Shark but it is not drama .... if you knew me you wouldn't ever say that ... I personally saw the piles of paperwork for the sick people on the boat and it was extensive (easily 200 as it was 4 or more piles about 10 inches thick). We also talked to the Chief Steward who admitted that it was in excess of 200 people which works out to be about 10% far over the limit ... It is people like you wanting to deny facts that continues allow the cruise lines to leave ports without resolving these issues Just because you didn't witness it doesn't mean it didn't happen ... You don't happen to work for NCL do you?

Its to bad if someone had a bad room stewart. I can not speak for what happened in that room. What I can say is that I just got off The Sun and everywhere I went for two weeks was spotless. The Sun is not a dirty ship. One can not apply their individual bad experience to the rest of us folks who had no issues. In fact, I saw crew cleaning relentlessly, wiping down everything in sight. Our room was perfect every day and we tipped our guy extra for the job he did. Norovirus is a known risk of cruising on any ship on any line. Half of my office is sick with the flu right now. I'm not blaming it on the cleaning staff at our building or saying that I work in a "dirty office building".

The CDC has not released its December Norovirus Outbreak Report yet. The symptoms of this virus are severe diarrhea and vomiting and, in some cases, a fever. In no way is drama a Norovirus symptom

Sorry to disappoint, but the CDC posts this information continually...you don't wait to notify people of an outbreak as that would open the door for a legal cause of action.

All reports are available on the CDC website http://www.cdc.gov/nceh/vsp/surv/GIlist.htm so deny it if you wish, but this is what the CDC is reporting.

BTW...the "some cases, a fever" is a low-grade fever, not the high fever being claimed. And, of course, drama isn't a symptom...that was the point. :rolleyes:

Is is possible that the ship not docking on US soil allows them to not report to CDC?

PE

PE...That is a very good question. I don't know a definitive answer to it' date=' but there are ships listed on the CDC site where the report indicates that they were not in US Waters or at a US Port, so the answer is probably not...but again...I can't say that for sure.

Sorry to disappoint you Sea Shark but it is not drama .... if you knew me you wouldn't ever say that ... I personally saw the piles of paperwork for the sick people on the boat and it was extensive (easily 200 as it was 4 or more piles about 10 inches thick). We also talked to the Chief Steward who admitted that it was in excess of 200 people which works out to be about 10% far over the limit ... It is people like you wanting to deny facts that continues allow the cruise lines to leave ports without resolving these issues Just because you didn't witness it doesn't mean it didn't happen ... You don't happen to work for NCL do you?

Good...so you personally saw the paperwork for everyone's paperwork. You would think they would have that in everyone's files, but I'll take your word for it. But don't accuse me of denying facts....I'm just stating what is on the CDC website. Go see it for yourself. It isn't my fault that you are claiming one thing and the CDC says different. If you have a beef, maybe you should confront them with your evidence.

And what difference does it make where I work...or is that attempt at diversion just another part of the drama?:rolleyes:

Sorry to disappoint, but the CDC posts this information continually...you don't wait to notify people of an outbreak as that would open the door for a legal cause of action.

All reports are available on the CDC website http://www.cdc.gov/nceh/vsp/surv/GIlist.htm so deny it if you wish, but this is what the CDC is reporting.

BTW...the "some cases, a fever" is a low-grade fever, not the high fever being claimed. And, of course, drama isn't a symptom...that was the point. :rolleyes:

PE...That is a very good question. I don't know a definitive answer to it, but there are ships listed on the CDC site where the report indicates that they were not in US Waters or at a US Port, so the answer is probably not...but again...I can't say that for sure.

Good...so you personally saw the paperwork for everyone's paperwork. You would think they would have that in everyone's files, but I'll take your word for it. But don't accuse me of denying facts....I'm just stating what is on the CDC website. Go see it for yourself. It isn't my fault that you are claiming one thing and the CDC says different. If you have a beef, maybe you should confront them with your evidence.

And what difference does it make where I work...or is that attempt at diversion just another part of the drama?:rolleyes:

The reports are, in fact, not available yet. If you would be so interested to call to verify this the # is 800-cdc-info, press the number for cruise ships and eventually you will speak to a person who will tell you how long the ship review takes. It was an outbreak and I will ask for my medical records. Which they may or may not release and I will inform the Chief of Vessel Sanitation in Atlanta, Georgia just as I have been told to do after my conversation with the CDC. What you call drama, I choose to call a serious problem. It should mean nothing to you, you were not there and you were not involved.

You might also like to know that the Ship's doctor himself said that the norovirus was a big problem on the cruise .... As I see it you got nothing to back up your position whereas we have the statements of the ship's doctor and the chief steward to back up ours as well as the medical records ... guess who would win in court ... There is an old saying about protesting too much ... still wondering why you who were not involved are so interested in trying to prove those of involved and with documentation to be wrong

You might also like to know that the Ship's doctor himself said that the norovirus was a big problem on the cruise .... As I see it you got nothing to back up your position whereas we have the statements of the ship's doctor and the chief steward to back up ours as well as the medical records ... guess who would win in court ... There is an old saying about protesting too much ... still wondering why you who were not involved are so interested in trying to prove those of involved and with documentation to be wrong

Sorry, but I'm not understanding all this drama.

The ship's doctor hasn't reported anything here that I, or and other posters, can even read.

I'm not sure what you mean by "can't back up my position"...my position is that you are stating that there was an outbreak and the CDC is not. Now, unless you are stating that there wasn't an outbreak, that part of my "position" isn't in dispute. The other part deals with what the CDC, not me, is reporting. I gave the link for you and everyone else to see. Is there something else that you need to convince you that its not there?

And the fact that I wasn't there has nothing to do with anything. If only people that were there have any standing then why do you put this here with a board full of people who were not there? And, again, it isn't me...I'm just telling you what the CDC isn't saying. You'll either have to get the CDC to say something different or live with what they are saying. It is THEM...not ME. Get it?

I'm just trying to figure out why the outbreak...which you have assured us has occurred...isn't being reported as required. Something about that isn't quite right.

Sorry, but I'm not understanding all this drama.

The ship's doctor hasn't reported anything here that I, or and other posters, can even read.

I'm not sure what you mean by "can't back up my position"...my position is that you are stating that there was an outbreak and the CDC is not. Now, unless you are stating that there wasn't an outbreak, that part of my "position" isn't in dispute. The other part deals with what the CDC, not me, is reporting. I gave the link for you and everyone else to see. Is there something else that you need to convince you that its not there?

And the fact that I wasn't there has nothing to do with anything. If only people that were there have any standing then why do you put this here with a board full of people who were not there? And, again, it isn't me...I'm just telling you what the CDC isn't saying. You'll either have to get the CDC to say something different or live with what they are saying. It is THEM...not ME. Get it?

I'm just trying to figure out why the outbreak...which you have assured us has occurred...isn't being reported as required. Something about that isn't quite right.

The CDC takes forever to update their website. They still have not posted complete numbers for the 10/23 sailing of the NCL Spirit. When I emailed them asking when the complete numbers for the sailing would be posted, I received now reply.

I agree the CDC website's most recent reporting was about six weeks ago (early November) and even NCL reported a norovirus problem on the SUN for the cruise ending Dec. 6 in a memo handed out while we were boarding the SUN for the Dec. 6 to 20 trip ... We will just have to wait for the actual numbers ... Forgot to mention the outbreak on our cruise did make the newspaper in one of our ports in South America about halfway through the cruise and at that time it exceeded 100 people.

First we want to say that the Sun is a delightful ship and the first half of this cruise was great. Service was well above what we expected and the food,while not exceptional,was better than some reviews had mentioned.

The second half of this cruise proved to be a disaster.The Sun became a ¨sick

ship¨. We were never told there was an ilness on board untill we noticed that the ship was being washed down with a bleach soulition ,buffet service was now served and salt and pepper shakers were no where to be found in the dining rooms. We began to notice that service staff were in short supply and

still nothing was mentioned about taking extra precautions. Our friends began to drop like files and the Doc´s office was busy. Well being our luck,we got the bug on Dec 3. There was still no mention of what was going on and the Sun was denied clearence at Port Stanley. we can´t fathom why we were not

informed. We are still in Argentina and it took us a week to recover and I had one re-occurance of what ever hit the ship. The doctor I saw wanted to know where I had been and what virus I may have come in contact with. I had no information to give him.I can olny hope the Dec 6 cruise is going smoothly. we realize that NCL has no controll over what virus might be brought onboard but we feel that it is there duty to keep passengers informed about the disease and what we can do to prevent the spread of the disease. Will we sail NCl agian? Yes were already booked but we would like confrmation that they would at least keep us informed about the ¨wellness¨ of the ship.:(

Unfortunately we were on the Dec 6 Cruise from Buenos Aires to Valparaiso. Before boarding we were given a notice that only 2% of the passengers on your cruise had gotten ill. Almost immediately following our departure people started getting sick. By the middle of the cruise we were experiencing a major virus outbreak. I believe that NCL understated the severity of this problem to us when we boarded. The ship was indeed "sick" and hundreds of people suffered (2-4 days of vomiting, cramps, and loose bowls).

Unfortunately we were on the Dec 6 Cruise from Buenos Aires to Valparaiso. Before boarding we were given a notice that only 2% of the passengers on your cruise had gotten ill. Almost immediately following our departure people started getting sick. By the middle of the cruise we were experiencing a major virus outbreak. I believe that NCL understated the severity of this problem to us when we boarded. The ship was indeed "sick" and hundreds of people suffered (2-4 days of vomiting, cramps, and loose bowls).

the CEO of NCL has an email address of Ksheehan@ncl.com...several of us have written him of our concerns...the CDC has also been informed of the Norovirus on 12/06/2009 NCL SUN...their email is CDCinfo@cdc.gov they will pass this on to the Chief Vessel Sanitation Program...

Archived