Sun Cruise Nov 3-Dec 6

14 Days or Longer

First we want to say that the Sun is a delightful ship and the first half of this cruise was great. Service was well above what we expected and the food,while not exceptional,was better than some reviews had mentioned.

The second half of this cruise proved to be a disaster.The Sun became a ¨sick

ship¨. We were never told there was an ilness on board untill we noticed that the ship was being washed down with a bleach soulition ,buffet service was now served and salt and pepper shakers were no where to be found in the dining rooms. We began to notice that service staff were in short supply and

still nothing was mentioned about taking extra precautions. Our friends began to drop like files and the Doc´s office was busy. Well being our luck,we got the bug on Dec 3. There was still no mention of what was going on and the Sun was denied clearence at Port Stanley. we can´t fathom why we were not

informed. We are still in Argentina and it took us a week to recover and I had one re-occurance of what ever hit the ship. The doctor I saw wanted to know where I had been and what virus I may have come in contact with. I had no information to give him.I can olny hope the Dec 6 cruise is going smoothly. we realize that NCL has no controll over what virus might be brought onboard but we feel that it is there duty to keep passengers informed about the disease and what we can do to prevent the spread of the disease. Will we sail NCl agian? Yes were already booked but we would like confrmation that they would at least keep us informed about the ¨wellness¨ of the ship.:(

Over a month on a ship, Nov 3rd - Dec 6th ... that is a long time. It was obviously obvious to you that something was up, but you just wanted someone to tell you? Maybe you just missed it when they told people or maybe they didnt make an announcement so everyone would not panic.

I too would want to know and feel it is the right thing to do to advise guests. If you can received dozens of communique regarding art auctions, Columbian emeralds, etc. you can certainly receive notification of an illness on-board so that you can react in a way that you deam appropriate.

First we want to say that the Sun is a delightful ship and the first half of this cruise was great. Service was well above what we expected and the food,while not exceptional,was better than some reviews had mentioned.

The second half of this cruise proved to be a disaster.The Sun became a ¨sick

ship¨. We were never told there was an ilness on board untill we noticed that the ship was being washed down with a bleach soulition ,buffet service was now served and salt and pepper shakers were no where to be found in the dining rooms. We began to notice that service staff were in short supply and

still nothing was mentioned about taking extra precautions. Our friends began to drop like files and the Doc´s office was busy. Well being our luck,we got the bug on Dec 3. There was still no mention of what was going on and the Sun was denied clearence at Port Stanley. we can´t fathom why we were not

informed. We are still in Argentina and it took us a week to recover and I had one re-occurance of what ever hit the ship. The doctor I saw wanted to know where I had been and what virus I may have come in contact with. I had no information to give him.I can olny hope the Dec 6 cruise is going smoothly. we realize that NCL has no controll over what virus might be brought onboard but we feel that it is there duty to keep passengers informed about the disease and what we can do to prevent the spread of the disease. Will we sail NCl agian? Yes were already booked but we would like confrmation that they would at least keep us informed about the ¨wellness¨ of the ship.:(

It is interesting to hear this story. We were on the 1st leg of this cruise, and I became ill on the flight from Santiago to San Francisco. It would be interesting to know the symptoms to see if I, in fact, had the same illness. I noticed several people on the cruise who were coughing (without covering their mouths) and were otherwise ill. I think it perhaps took some time for the illness to take hold on the ship. I can assure you, however, that there were ill people on the ship from Nov 3 to Nov 19.

I too would want to know and feel it is the right thing to do to advise guests. If you can received dozens of communique regarding art auctions, Columbian emeralds, etc. you can certainly receive notification of an illness on-board so that you can react in a way that you deam appropriate.

I am nto sure what the actual protocal is when something does happen. BUT I would understand that they dont want to cause a panic, I have never heard of a art auction causing a panic.

It is interesting to hear this story. We were on the 1st leg of this cruise, and I became ill on the flight from Santiago to San Francisco. It would be interesting to know the symptoms to see if I, in fact, had the same illness. I noticed several people on the cruise who were coughing (without covering their mouths) and were otherwise ill. I think it perhaps took some time for the illness to take hold on the ship. I can assure you, however, that there were ill people on the ship from Nov 3 to Nov 19.

Hi Jason, We were with you on the 1st leg of this cruise. DH also got sick with a bad cold & cough when we got home and he is just now finally getting over it. We also thought he had got infected on the long flight home but perhaps it was from the ship? For those who got infected on the ship, exactly what were the symptoms? With so many people on board and everyone touching common things like stair railings, elevator buttons, etc., it is hard not to come in contact with germs. Of course handwashing is a good detriment but you cannot wash your hands constantly.

Rick, I agree with you.

SeaShark, a ship is like a small petrie dish just waiting to produce an illness. If I knew there was a bug going around, I would not touch half the things in my reach.

You're right that hyper-hygene practices should be a part of our every day on a cruise ship, but I believe it WOULD change what I choose to touch.

I think an announcement would have been a courtesy to the passengers, although I don't know if it's a requirement on the Captains part.

SeaShark, a ship is like a small petrie dish just waiting to produce an illness. If I knew there was a bug going around, I would not touch half the things in my reach.

You are correct in your analogy.

The point I was trying to make is reflected in your last sentence. If you aren't going to touch something because you knew there was a bug around, then why would you touch it if there was a POSSILILITY of a bug?

Better to NOT TOUCH IT.

The point I was trying to make is reflected in your last sentence. If you aren't going to touch something because you knew there was a bug around, then why would you touch it if there was a POSSILILITY of a bug?

Better to NOT TOUCH IT.

This reminds me of our Dawn cruise in 2007. Before boarding the cruise everyone was given the opportunity to cancel because the ship had a major outbreak of Norovirus. The first 3/4 of the cruise was a real PITA because of the outbreak.

As I walked into a restroom another guy (can't call this one a gentleman) finished his business and headed for the door. I asked him if he was going to wash his hands and he flipped me off and FU'd me and walked out.

The Dawn at that time did not have trash cans near the doors in restrooms. After continually having to pick up paper towels discarded at the door they set out small trash cans at the door. The next year they ahd installed larger trach bins on the wall at the door.

PE

Better to NOT TOUCH IT.

I'll answer your question.

Touching a surface that may POSSIBLY be tainted is much less of a risk than touching it KNOWING there's a bug onboard.

Call it psychological, but there's a heightened "awareness" when you know there's an established illness present.

This reminds me of our Dawn cruise in 2007. Before boarding the cruise everyone was given the opportunity to cancel because the ship had a major outbreak of Norovirus. The first 3/4 of the cruise was a real PITA because of the outbreak.

As I walked into a restroom another guy (can't call this one a gentleman) finished his business and headed for the door. I asked him if he was going to wash his hands and he flipped me off and FU'd me and walked out.

The Dawn at that time did not have trash cans near the doors in restrooms. After continually having to pick up paper towels discarded at the door they set out small trash cans at the door. The next year they ahd installed larger trach bins on the wall at the door.

PE

As studies have shown, unfortunately, many people do not practice sanitary conditions. Besides your example, people think they are being sanitary by coughing into their hands but then immediately touch something that other people will have to touch:rolleyes:.

Hi Jason, We were with you on the 1st leg of this cruise. DH also got sick with a bad cold & cough when we got home and he is just now finally getting over it. We also thought he had got infected on the long flight home but perhaps it was from the ship? For those who got infected on the ship, exactly what were the symptoms? With so many people on board and everyone touching common things like stair railings, elevator buttons, etc., it is hard not to come in contact with germs. Of course handwashing is a good detriment but you cannot wash your hands constantly.

Which is why they have the hand sanitizer bubbles all over the ship.

I'll answer your question.

Touching a surface that may POSSIBLY be tainted is much less of a risk than touching it KNOWING there's a bug onboard.

Call it psychological, but there's a heightened "awareness" when you know there's an established illness present.

So, in other words, you’re not careful about hygiene unless there is some “heightened awareness” about it?

You are in a self-contained environment with 2000+ people…just how “aware” do you need to be?

If you can read what the posters below said, and still feel as though you can slack in your hygiene…then, yeeeeeeeeck!

Besides…doesn’t it make more sense to PREVENT the illness instead of waiting for it to become (as you put it) “established”?

As studies have shown' date=' unfortunately, many people do not practice sanitary conditions. Besides your example, people think they are being sanitary by coughing into their hands but then immediately touch something that other people will have to touch:rolleyes:.[/quote']

I'd guarantee that anytime you put 2,000+ people on a cruise ship "there's a bug onboard."

Whether you get sick from another cruiser during an outbreak or not can still ruin your cruise. We were seated with a man on the Jewel who sneezed into both hands, wiped them on his shirt front and then handed my mom the bread, before I could stop her. She missed Naples, iraklion and our few days in Athens. This prince told us he was sick. Why didn't he stay in his cabin and order room service?

NCL doesn't always keep passengers in the dark about illnesses aboard. When I got off a plane in Buenos Aires (a one way ticket incidentally) after twelve or more hours of travel, upon boarding the liner we were presented with a document stating there had been an outbreak aboard and did we still want to go?

While high marks for honesty, I found it a little disengenuous to pretend that passengers whose return airline tickets were from Santiago, two weeks hence, had much of a realistic option as regards to declining the ride.

When we were on the Pearl during the noro outbreak in 2007 (9-day Southern Caribbean), we received a flyer in our stateroom alerting of us of the fact, outlining proper hygiene procedures, and what to do if we fell ill.

I would have thought that the notification we received would be fleetwide policy. We were told by none other than the ship's captain (at a "behind the scenes" slide show open to all pax) that once the number of reported illnesses had affected a certain percentage of the overall ship population the CDC had to be notified. Seems like that would be an appropriate time to let everyone in on the situation.

Lucky us, we didn't succumb and had a great trip, but even after the alert was sent, passengers continued to display a gross disregard for the health and safety of themselves and others. This seems to be the way of the world, but it made me both angry and sad to see such a lack of consideration. :rolleyes::cool:

Since I cruised on the Sun just before the "outbreak", am curious as to just what type of virus it was and symptoms?

I guess we got lucky on our leg. Talked to others from our M&G who were on the second leg and it sounds like some of them got sick. I'm also wondering if it was the norovirus or colds.

Hope you both have a merry Christmas! John and Jo

I guess we got lucky on our leg. Talked to others from our M&G who were on the second leg and it sounds like some of them got sick. I'm also wondering if it was the norovirus or colds.

Hope you both have a merry Christmas! John and Jo

Hi John!

The reason I am curious is that both Steve & Caren came down with horrible colds and coughs that they both just got over. We thought they caught it on airplane home but maybe it was on the ship?

Maybe we'll cruise together again someday:)? I booked the transatlantic on the Sun (great price) but still haven't convinced Steve, have until Feb final payment:rolleyes:

Wishing you & Jo a wonderful Christmas & Happy New Year.

We were on the 33 day cruise also. NCL certainly was not informative at all. When our cabin attendant became ill, we were told she was on "holiday". The cruise director was ill for 3 days or so. The ailment was a gastro-intestinal problem. My wife and I escaped the malady but nearly everyone I talked to was either ill or the spouse was ill at some time. The room service staff was kept very busy serving those confined to their cabins. There were two travel groups that embarked in Valparaiso. According to members of those groups many were ill when they came aboard. Both groups had stayed at the same hotel in Santiago. NCL should have informed passengers of symptoms to look out for and what to do if affected.

On the second leg of the cruise the entertainment was all repeats except for a flautist. I would expect the stage shows to repeat but it seems unfair for the 300 or so who were on the 33 day cruise. Too bad The Skinny German Juggle Boy didn't stay for the entire second leg.

Ralph

I too just returned from the last cruise on the Sun starting in Valaparaiso. It was obvious to my group when you were not allowed to serve your self at the buffet and crew with spray bottles of sanitizer started to chase people at the buffet entrance, that there was some Norovirus going around. In this situation, you need to assume that anything or anybody you touch could have the virus. That means touch no elevator buttons, hand rails or door handles. We also stopped using public restrooms. We washed our hands as much as possible. None of us got sick. We had gone through a similar situation onboard Celebrity Millinium in July. However NCL still should have made some form of warning because there are many people who just can't connect the dots.

Is it any wonder that there aren't more break outs, have you seen the number of men that have been to the washroom, have just done their business both one and two and don't wash their hands. How about the number of people that practically cough in your face they don't cover their mouths. The kids that pick their bums and noses all day and then touch everyhting in site, where are the parents.

How about all the people that don't use the handsanitaizer, yah it doesn't stop 100% but at least it helps.

How about all the pigs that handle food on the buffet without utensiles, how about those that are feeding their face from the plate as there walking along, they have just touched their mouths and then they start putting their man/woman juices all over the buffet.

How about the number of people that get on the ship sick because they have eatan at the airport and then lie on the health form at the cruise terminal.

Come on people wake up and smell the roses.

The cruise companies do all they can to slow the spreading of germs, no trays, sanitize stations all over signs etc. They are also dammed if they do and damed if they don't ell you a virus is floating around.

And what about those that ghave just boarded the ship directly from a plane.

I hope I have helped at pointing out some of the disgusting stuff and don't be afraid to tell whomever is leaving the washrooms to wash up.

We were on the 33 day cruise also. NCL certainly was not informative at all. There were two travel groups that embarked in Valparaiso. According to members of those groups many were ill when they came aboard.

Too bad The Skinny German Juggle Boy didn't stay for the entire second leg.

Ralph

So much for the questionnaire they hand out before embarkation asking if you have any sickness within the last couple of days - unfortunately, obviously people just lie:(

Surprised to hear that they didn't change the shows for the 2nd leg. Also it is too bad that the Skinny German Juggle Boy didn't stay on I thought he was hilarious.

Archived