Walking on Glaciers

Cellagirl

This is our first time to Alaska. Can all you experienced Alaskan travelers tell me how it will be to walk on a glacier? Is it slippery? Do you need special shoes or treking poles? Please don't laugh :confused: I just don't know!! We will be in Alaska the end of May 2010. Also, in Danali, will the ground be covered with snow? Thanks for your replies.:cool:

My only experience of Glacier walking was when we landed on the Glacier when we did flightseeing and Glacier Landing in Denali,The sun was shinning and Majestic Denali was in the background BREATHTAKING.It was snow covered,no special shoes.It was by far the highlight of our 12 day Alaska experience

My only experience of Glacier walking was when we landed on the Glacier when we did flightseeing and Glacier Landing in Denali,The sun was shinning and Majestic Denali was in the background BREATHTAKING.It was snow covered,no special shoes.It was by far the highlight of our 12 day Alaska experience

This is no comparism to a helicopter glacier landing. The ski planes land on SNOW, with very little ice exposure available.

Not sure what type of tour they are taking?? But the two are very different.

Is there anywhere to walk on them without being in a tour and/or taking helicopter/plane? I know it wouldn't be the same experience but the cost for helicopter/plane would likely be out of our budget

Guided treks are necessary, if you have no experience. You can do an extensive trek to Mendenhall, with Above and Beyond out of Juneau. Are you going to interior Alaska??? Excellent guided treks of Matanuska Glacier and Exit Glacier.

Walking on the glacier was an amazing experience!! We went early/mid May last year and there was a lot of snow, no bare ice. My second step out of the helicopter I fell up to my waist in the soft pack snow. It was really great being up there in the beautiful sun on a glacier.... bring sunglasses!!!

Is there anywhere to walk on them without being in a tour and/or taking helicopter/plane? I know it wouldn't be the same experience but the cost for helicopter/plane would likely be out of our budget

Helicopter/plane tours cannot be included in "budget tours," IMO. I have been ripped in the past for advocating helicopter/plane glacier landings are the most over priced tours in Alaska. If you just want to walk on ice, take the city bus to Mendenhall glacier in Juneau. Now sit back, relax and grab the fire extinguisher.

Our family home in Alaska is not far from a glacier. Quite a neighbor. People who don't know Alaska are surprised by this, but before the glaciers started marching back about 30 years ago (think of what has happened to Portage Glacier), having a glacier that you could drive to and walk after a hike was not such a big deal.

We had a million rules for doing so!

Glaciers are alive. They move, they split, they calf off ice and they can kill people. Although I know how to do it, I don't even hike on Exit Glacier without a guide.

If you don't know what you are doing, a glacier walk is not a do it yourself outing. Please!

I did a helicopter / glacier walk in late May '09 out of Skagway. It was an awe-inspiring experience that was well worth every penny. We were given special boots, poles and a vest to wear. It was raining the day I went but here's a couple of pictures to give you an idea of what it was like.

DSCN0758.jpg?t=1261243512

DSCN0791-1.jpg?t=1261243558

OMG ! What responses!! We are mid fifty adults in good physical health, so what type of excursion would you recommend. Right now flight is not an option due to $, so besides" Above and Beyond" any other treks( private agencies) you would suggest. Thanks.

OMG ! What responses!! We are mid fifty adults in good physical health, so what type of excursion would you recommend. Right now flight is not an option due to $, so besides" Above and Beyond" any other treks( private agencies) you would suggest. Thanks.

Then Matanuska or Exit Glaciers would be good choices. It is highly recommended that you hire a guide. You can do Matanuska on your own and can actually walk on the glacier safely if you only go to the picnick table. Anything beyond that would require gear which a guide will provide. It's about 2 hours from Anchorage on a good day with no construction. It's $15 per person to access the glacier as you cross private land to get to it.

We have ice cleats and go back as far as we feel comfortable but not as far as the guides. We took this photo last year while on Matanuska Glacier of a couple and their guide.

1027414561_MatanuskaGlacier.jpg.00fdb54ae3afd568564e806735f67a55.jpg

You have not disclosed your itinererary??? Are you going interior Alaska WITH, extra time?? Then look at Exit or Matanuska as already suggested. Both have guided treks available. If only doing a round trip, then your ONLY non flying option is with Above and Beyond.

I did a helicopter / glacier walk in late May '09 out of Skagway. It was an awe-inspiring experience that was well worth every penny. We were given special boots, poles and a vest to wear. It was raining the day I went but here's a couple of pictures to give you an idea of what it was like.

What tour company did you use out of Skagway? I thought the only one to do a helicopter trek was out of Juneau (North Star Trekking). If there is one out of Skagway I would be interested in some information. How miserable was it in the rain? Of course all the promo pics are bright sunny days. How disappointing for you.

We are doing a seven day Glacier cruise and a four day land tour with Princess. Our stops are the typical 3 ports,Skagway, Ketchican and Juneau.

Sorry, then your only opportunity will be out of Juneau, which you'll need a long port day, for glacier trekking. there is a hike out of Skagway, but that "glacier" trek, is very limited, and reports last year of mostly no ice access. Taken in combination with the train, which is also a very nice option.

What tour company did you use out of Skagway? I thought the only one to do a helicopter trek was out of Juneau (North Star Trekking). If there is one out of Skagway I would be interested in some information. How miserable was it in the rain? Of course all the promo pics are bright sunny days. How disappointing for you.

TEMSCO is the ONLY helicopter company out of Skagway. http://www.temscoair.com/tours/skagway_helihiking.htm

I used HAL's excursion with Temsco in Skagway. We went to Meade Glacier. The rain really didn't bother me except in the helicopter because I couldn't get any good pictures. It wasn't pouring, just a steady heavy drizzle. It is funny, though, that most of the Alaska promo pics show beautiful sunny weather when it rains so much up there. ;)

Thanks. I believe the Temsco trip is a nature hike but not the same as the expereince on the glacier trek with Northstar so I will stick with that one. I know I am expecting rain everyday and if I get sun, then I can be happier rather than disappointed.

Thanks. I believe the Temsco trip is a nature hike but not the same as the expereince on the glacier trek with Northstar so I will stick with that one. I know I am expecting rain everyday and if I get sun, then I can be happier rather than disappointed.

As only general information, I only recommend the level 3, longest trek. The timeframes are way tight on the fly ins, and it is a big advantage to only consider the longest. I've been out on treks of close to 5 hours, and the time flew by, with a lot of ice opportunity- the whole bottom line- my opinion only.

As clarification, the excursion I took with Temsco in Skagway was definitely not a "nature hike" as I would define that. We got into helicopters and flew to a glacier then walked around on it with some guides. Take a look at my pictures again to see what I mean. :) It was expensive but something I'm very glad I did.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not touting Temsco over any other provider, I just wanted to be clear on what my excursion entailed.

As clarification, the excursion I took with Temsco in Skagway was definitely not a "nature hike" as I would define that. We got into helicopters and flew to a glacier then walked around on it with some guides. Take a look at my pictures again to see what I mean. :) It was expensive but something I'm very glad I did.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not touting Temsco over any other provider, I just wanted to be clear on what my excursion entailed.

For clairfication, you took a "glacier landing", via a helicopter. There is a poster looking for "treks" which do not involve flying. TEMSCO out of Skagway does not have as extensive fly in glacier trekking as Northstar, which outfit with crampons and go out for a couple hours on ice the whole time. Different from glacier landing tours, which have anywhere from 30- 45 mins. on the glacier for a walk.

Archived