Prince Albert II, Minerva, Hanseatic Or……..?

Smokeyham

Hello,

We’re researching options for an Antarctic cruise. Our criteria are that:

1) We can do landings (small ship)

2) That the trip combine both wildlife and history

3) That the ship be comfortable (OK --- very comfortable :)

4) The itinerary combines a mixture of wildlife viewing and history.

5) The more stable the ship the better……

So far, we have identified three ships which seem to meet these criteria: Prince Albert II, Minerva and Hanseatic.

Do you have any experience or thoughts on these ships, or any other suggestions on ships or itinerary for us?

Thanks in advance for any help!

You could try going to www.expeditiontrips.com and in the yellow bar select "Just Released Offers". You will have to sign in. Then scroll down to the Antartica cruises. Quite a few to chose from and I have booked with them before with excellent results. I was on the Clipper Adventurer several years ago when it was an Intrav ship so can't really comment other than it is a very nice ship.

You could try going to www.expeditiontrips.com and in the yellow bar select "Just Released Offers". You will have to sign in. Then scroll down to the Antartica cruises. Quite a few to chose from and I have booked with them before with excellent results. I was on the Clipper Adventurer several years ago when it was an Intrav ship so can't really comment other than it is a very nice ship.

Sounds like you had a wonderful adventure. Thanks for the suggestion, I'll look at the site.

Go to Silversea Forum (board) and you will find some valuable information about PAII. http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=183

You also find Reviews. http://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/memberreviews/getreviews.cfm?action=ship&ShipID=497

I will be in PAII by March, 2010 and I as soon as get back home I will do a review.

• 2 weeks later...
This is the last season in Antarctica for the Minerva. We will be on it starting Jan 4. Abercrombie and Kent has a brand new luxury ship starting next year.

http://www.abercrombiekent.com/antarctica/

I sad to hear that the Minerva will not be doing Antarctic cruises any longer, since my parents did two cruises on her, and it would have been fun to have travelled on the same ship that they did.

However, Le Boreal looks like a beautiful ship, and definitely one we will watch and add to our list of possibilities!

Gordon

I sad to hear that the Minerva will not be doing Antarctic cruises any longer, since my parents did two cruises on her, and it would have been fun to have travelled on the same ship that they did.

However, Le Boreal looks like a beautiful ship, and definitely one we will watch and add to our list of possibilities!

Gordon

Are you sure the Minerva is not going to do Antarctica cruises for another company, I thought it was just not going to be doing cruises for Abercrombie and Kent? I thought I saw it somewhere for another company beyond 2010 because I was researching 2011.

• 2 weeks later...

just back cruised Dec 21st to jan 5the 2010 see my review - I highly recommend Le Diamant but be quick on last cruise season in the Antarctic then wil be replaced with another cruise ship. We had history included in our presentations she is very comfortable .

hmm stable bmaybe larger ships are more stable but what ship is stable in 153knot catabatic wind like we had in South Georgia caused by cold air from snow and glaciers. ? None!!. generally Normally midship is fine, bow is not.

Gordon

Dileep e-mailed me and said that everything was going well, but they still had to cross the Drake back to Ushuaia. He didn't say anything about any difficulty on the way over crossing the Drake, so it must have been easy.

just back cruised Dec 21st to jan 5the 2010 see my review - I highly recommend Le Diamant but be quick on last cruise season in the Antarctic then wil be replaced with another cruise ship. We had history included in our presentations she is very comfortable .

hmm stable bmaybe larger ships are more stable but what ship is stable in 153knot catabatic wind like we had in South Georgia caused by cold air from snow and glaciers. ? None!!. generally Normally midship is fine, bow is not.

Where is your review?

Le Diamant has no facilities for children but we actually had two delightful children on ours very well behaved and fully into all activities two girls a 6 and ahalf year old and her sisiter of 10.Even during lectures they listened attentively or otherwise stayed silent. Most passengers ,the majority French, would have been in the 50-75 year group but most of the English speaking (20 passengers) would ahve been under 40. We had at least one passenger, an elderly lady I would say well into her 80's with a stick but the zodiac crew made sure she too got at least one zodiac ride I saw a photo of her in one alone with the drivers with her stick stretched out looking quite comfortable and happy. I would imageine they lifted her in like they did the little girl and she went on nearly every landing with her family. A real little cutie in her Andes hat.

Archived