St Maarten - Beaches, shopping etc.

trbutler

I read a review from a while back about someone taking the water taxi and then walking to the beach. Is this true? Anyone have any experience with this. My husband and I are looking to do a little shopping in the morning and then go back to the ship for lunch and return to spend a couple hours on the beach. This poster said that there are places you can rent chairs and umbrellas. Has anyone else ever done this? Also where do you pick up the water taxi?

The water taxi is right at the pier. We have gone to the beach that is right in town. The beach is okay, but nothing great; this is the harbor, you know. I am not sure about renting chairs and umbrellas there, I am sure someone else has that information. There are great beaches not far from town. Last time we went to one, I think it was Dawn Beach. Not too far and a much nicer beach. I know we rented chairs and an umbrella there. The snorkeling was pretty good, too. I would recommend that beach so much more than the one in town. You can go there and then catch a taxi back into town a couple of hours before sailing so that you don't worry about missing the ship.

You can also go to the "Ports of Call/ St. Maarten" in the "Forum Jump" dropdown box below here and find out even more info.

You will have a great time in St. Maarten.

Michelle

This is where Everything's Cool comes in. You take the water taxi, as mentioned very close to where ship docks and $5 (I think it is, gets you arm band for all day use so you can come and go as often as you like). Beach is right there, as mentioned not a paradise beach but sand and water none the less. We got a spot right in front of Everything's Cool. Got chairs and umbrellas (don't remember cost but they will deal as there are many vendors looking for your business on the beach. 4 of us parked there for the day. Had Guavaberry drinks, sunned, swam, shopped - you are really right there in the middle of town, listened to Cool band. It was a very relaxing and enjoyable day. We had toured St. Maatin on previous visits to the island and so were looking for a quiet way to spend the time last Jan and this was perfect.

The water taxi will sometimes make two stops, one at the end of town, the other in the middle. You want the middle. Everyt'ing's Cool may no longer exist unless they put it back up after the recent construction. Still, the beach is right there when you get off the taxi and several places along that strip of beach rented umbrellas and lounge chairs for a very cheap price.

From what I've been reading, Everything Cool no longer exists. It sounds like you're planning exactly what we are. We're gettin off and taking the ferry into town to do some shopping, taking the ferry back to the ship to drop off our stuff and grab some lunch. Then we're grabbing a taxi to Orient Beach for some fun in the sun time. It sounds like there are plenty of chairs and umbrellas to rent there. We're getting dropped off around bikini beach because I think that's someplace near the middle. Can't wait!

We were just in St. Maarten in October and the whole downtown has changed drastically. It is cleaner, no cars on the main streets, walk along the beach, cool beach furniture, great sand and shopping. I would not believe the difference. Just take the water taxi over and you will have a great time. Also great places for eats and drinks.

NR

I also totally agree about the improvement to St. Martin beach area and downtown.... and all the beaches on this island both on Dutch and French side are wonderful...been to many of them :)

Emmy

All I remember from St. Maarten was from a Disney cruise. I am not sure if there is only one ship port or where we docked. We got off the ship and walked to dingy streets with shopping all along them. The stores blocked the view of the beach and the whole place looked dirty. We did our shopping and got back on the ship quickly. My mother in-law says that "we didn't really see St. Marten"

Does anyone know if all the ships dock in the same place? I am going back on RCCL in October from Boston and want to try and find a better place to visit.

We were just in St. Maarten in Dec. We had spent our honeymoon there in April 2002. It has changed quite a bit. If you don't have a lot of time I would stay at the beach the water taxi drops you off at. If you have more time, then I would agree that Dawn beach is a great choice. That is where we spent our honeymoon. There are great waves and a great beach bar with good food. You can get a Carib beer for .75 cents. What a deal. I heard that there is good snorkeling. I don't snorkel, so I don't know if this is true. This beach is closer than Orient Beach. Remember that Orient is a clothing optional beach. There is also a beach close to town called Little Bay. I don't know if you have to pay a fee to go there or not. The Ports of Call boards would be the best place to go for info.

we wre on saint marteen last year on june for 5 dys and i love it orient beach is the placed to go...beautiful beach music i you eat in one of the restaurants you have umbrellas and chairs free.i have pictures

I spent a week in St. Maarten a few years ago. I agree that Dawn Beach is an excellent choice for a day trip. When I vacationed there we stayed on the French side within walking distance of Orient Beach so we went there a lot, but it is on the other side of the island so you will spend more time travelling there and back. We spent one afternoon on Dawn Beach and it was very nice. A lot less crowded than Orient and it had good snorkeling. I'm happy to hear that the downtown area has been renovated. I'm excited to visit again and check it out. Hopefully when I finally decide which cruise to take it will visit St. Maarten.

I don't understand why there is ever an issue......

Not going to Orient Beach in St. Maarten is like not going to Dunn's river falls in Ocho Rios, Jamacia, like not going to Stingray City in Grand Cayman, like going to London and not seeing Big Ben, like going to Paris and not seeing the Eiffel Tower. I mean come on people, you may never see these places again. Life is short, see the best while your there.

Orient Beach is less than a 30 minute taxi ride from the pier and the taxi rates are a set governed rate. Do the best and you won't regret it.

We were in St. Maarten in October and we were able to spend almost 6 hours on one of the best beaches in the world. No regrets. No regrets.

We did what you are looking to do in reverse order. We got off the water taxi (which is $5 all day/kids free) and went to the left at the beach. If you go right, it is much quieter, not as many people. We went left and got two beach chairs with umbrella, jet ski for 1/2 hour and water trampoline for $45.00. We stayed there for the morning, returned to the ship to shower, change and have lunch and went back to do some shopping. We had a great day. Chairs on their own would be $10.00, jet ski $40.00 and water trampoline $5.00. They would also come and serve you drinks all day. I think the first one was free with the rental if I remember correctly. Have fun!

I agree with Always On Vacation, Orient Beach is worth the trip. You need to allow for travel time, since it is on the French side and is far from Phillisburg. I favor Bikini Beach, but almost anywhere along the beach offers food, drink and facilities. The beach is beautiful even when it's crowded with cruise passengers. I usually just soak up the sun, but there are plently of activities if you choose.

For those worried about bringing kids, only one small stretch of the beach is "clothing optional".

We had Guavaberry coladas at Bikini Beach Bar but the only clothing optional beach is way past that. We had rented a car to tour the island and we drove to the end of the beach. It is where all the yellow umbrellas are. I did not see anyone naked other than this small area of beach...We had a blast driving the island with the rental car and we also had $.75 Caribe beers. Can't beat that...

For all of you bringing kids to Orient (or who just do not want to see topless females), keep in mind that all beaches on the French side of the island allow topless sunbathing. Sometimes you will see it and sometimes not. On the Club Orient/Pedro's end of Orient, you will see it (and more) guaranteed. Club Orient is fully clothing optional, but most of what you see in other places is topless only. On most of the rest of the beach, you may see it, particularly people strolling through from other parts of the beach. You likely won't see it on many of the French-side beaches, but it is possible.

Orient is fabulous. And yes (if you drink) you must try a guavaberry colada...oh, rapture.

Also, don't count on getting free lounges/umbrellas if you eat in the restaurant connected to that area. That is not common practice (unless it's recently changed).

beachchick

Archived