London Hotel Choices

tdtanc

Twickenham,

My original routing was SFO to Montreal, non stop. Air Canada changed the routing from SFO to Toronto to Montreal. Good catch! I meant to say Toronto and Quebec came out instead! A Canadian would catch that! ;)) This board is sharp!

paws10

[quote name='scottbee']It might be more practical to route via AMS, FRA or DUB if you really did want to fly into SOU.[/QUOTE]I think you'd still find similar problems. Overall, I suspect that if anything, flying to SOU [I]adds[/I] to the misconnection risk rather than taking away from it. Someone who's time critical would, I think, do better to fly to LHR or LGW - although if you're arriving the day before the cruise and can get a decent connection to SOU, that is definitely an option.

>"We could do the hop on hop off but I want to make sure we see everything and know what we are seeing."

Do the HOHO bus on your arrival day and get an idea of the city and sights. Then on your full day you will enjoy your private tour even more. I think one of the companies runs later at night, and an evening tour with the lights is lovely. Do both, you won't regret it.

My family of four is flying in on Dec 28th 2010 and departing on 12/31/2010 at 8:15 a.m. British Air to Barcelona. My quesiton is... Should we stay the 2 days at the Hilton and take the tube in each day to the city since we have an early a.m. flight on New Years Eve? My husband has walking issue due to MS. He's not wheelchair bond but tires easily. I thought it may save us time just to stay there and less hassle with luggage. Your thoughts are greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Patty

[quote name='Health Inspector']My family of four is flying in on Dec 28th 2010 and departing on 12/31/2010 at 8:15 a.m. British Air to Barcelona. My quesiton is... Should we stay the 2 days at the Hilton and take the tube in each day to the city since we have an early a.m. flight on New Years Eve? My husband has walking issue due to MS. He's not wheelchair bond but tires easily. I thought it may save us time just to stay there and less hassle with luggage. Your thoughts are greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Patty[/quote]

Nearly all British Airways flights go from Terminal 5. The Hilton is at Terminal 4. The Hilton runs a complementary shuttle to Terminal 5 every 30 minutes taking 10 minutes.

You could stay at the Hilton Paddington within Paddington Station in Central London. This has Heathrow Express trains every 15 minutes taking 20 minutes to Terminal 5 and you wouldn't have the Underground ride to get into the centre taking about an hour.

The answer kind of assumes you've got a Hilton requirement based on points or something.

Might be worth waiting to nearer the time as the period between Xmas Day and New Years is used to do major rail and Underground work so stretches of rail might not be in use at the time you need them.

[quote name='Health Inspector']My family of four is flying in on Dec 28th 2010 and departing on 12/31/2010 at 8:15 a.m. British Air to Barcelona.[/QUOTE]To add to handfordr's answer: Although you will arrive at Heathrow Terminal 5 if you're flying on British Air[B]ways[/B] from the US, the flight to Barcelona will depart from Terminal 3.

There is a Sofitel attached to Terminal 5 in the same way that the Hilton's attached to Terminal 4 (although the Sofitel's a slightly shorter walk from the terminal). However, there are no hotels in the central terminal area where Terminal 3 is located. You'd have to transfer there from any of the three airport hotels, or from any of the off-airport hotels.

If you're going to spend two or three days sightseeing in London, I think you're likely to be better off staying in town, overall.

[quote name='tdtanc']Am I correct? National Express and Southernrailways are two different companies? You can purchase coach or train tickets through the national express website correct?

TD[/quote]

Yes, two different companies. National Express are a global transport company (they operate 15,000 school buses in the US for instance).
In the UK they operate the National long distance buses (like a British version of Greyhound in US) and they also operate a few rail franchises. On the National Express web site you can order tickets for national Express buses and also trains (including non National Exoress trains)

Southern Trains have got a rail franchise to operate much of the railways south of London.

If you are looking at buying rail tickets in the UK there are no true etickets. Tickets can only be posted to UK addresses and some major stations have a machine where you can collect tickets if you book online.
However for most relatively short journeys like London to Dover/Southampton there is normally no financial advantage in advanced purchase fares.
There are no seat numbers on trains either - its a free for all, first come first served. Tickets are a contract to complete a journey, not a specific schedule/train.

[quote name='handfordr']There are no seat numbers on trains either - its a free for all, first come first served. Tickets are a contract to complete a journey, not a specific schedule/train.[/QUOTE]Just to clarify: This also mostly applies only to short journeys like London to Dover or London to Southampton, which are fundamentally part of a commuter service.

If you take a long-distance train, seat reservations are very often available (and sometimes compulsory). You are also more likely to find cheaper advance purchase tickets on more restrictive conditions, sometimes valid only on the specific trains for which you book.

Also, on some short journeys (like London to Southampton) there are special operators/resellers like megatrain which sell restrictive tickets valid only for the specific trains for which you book.

• 4 weeks later...
John Bull or another rail expert....need your help.....please tell me the difference in the class of the rail tix from below. Is there a real difference between first class and standard to warrant paying an addition 20 pounds more per ticket. Which tix do you recommend I buy. Need 2. Was thinking of buying the cheapest first class outward tickets. Do not need roundtrip. Just one way to southampton to catch cruise. Thanks for your opinion.

TD

Out 26 Jun 2010
London Waterloo (WAT) to Southampton Central (SOU)
Earlier Later
Outward times
Option1234
Duration 1h 20m 1h 14m 1h 36m 1h 17m
Changes 1 0 0 0
Single tickets - SingleTickets leg
Ticket Type 1 2 3 4
Cheapest Standard Single
Cheapest standard Outward' tickets

£63.40

OFF-PEAK DAY SINGLE
This ticket allows travel on any permitted route.
2 Adult(s) @ £31.70 : £63.40
Total: £63.40

£63.40

OFF-PEAK DAY SINGLE

£63.40

OFF-PEAK DAY SINGLE

£63.40

OFF-PEAK DAY SINGLE

Cheapest First Class Single
Cheapest first class Outward' tickets

£108.00

FRIST OFF-PEAK DAY SGL
2 Adult(s) @ £54.00 : £108.00
Total: £108.00

£108.00

FRIST OFF-PEAK DAY SGL

£108.00

FRIST OFF-PEAK DAY SGL

£108.00

FRIST OFF-PEAK DAY SGL

Single tickets - Outward leg
Ticket Type 1 2 3 4
Off-Peak Day Single
Any off-peak train.

£63.40

OFF-PEAK DAY SINGLE

CDS, £63.40 Outward 08:20
£63.40

OFF-PEAK DAY SINGLE

CDS, £63.40 Outward 08:35
£63.40

OFF-PEAK DAY SINGLE

CDS, £63.40 Outward 08:39
£63.40

OFF-PEAK DAY SINGLE

CDS, £63.40 Outward 09:05
Anytime Day Single
Travel any time of day.

£65.40

ANYTIME DAY SINGLE
2 Adult(s) @ £32.70 : £65.40
Total: £65.40

SDS, £65.40 Outward 08:20
£65.40

ANYTIME DAY SINGLE

SDS, £65.40 Outward 08:35
£65.40

ANYTIME DAY SINGLE

SDS, £65.40 Outward 08:39
£65.40

ANYTIME DAY SINGLE

SDS, £65.40 Outward 09:05
Frist Off-Peak Day Sgl

£108.00

FRIST OFF-PEAK DAY SGL

FSX, £108.00 Outward 08:20
£108.00

FRIST OFF-PEAK DAY SGL

FSX, £108.00 Outward 08:35
£108.00

FRIST OFF-PEAK DAY SGL

FSX, £108.00 Outward 08:39
£108.00

FRIST OFF-PEAK DAY SGL

FSX, £108.00 Outward 09:05
First Anytime Day Single
Travel any time of day.

£120.00

FIRST ANYTIME DAY SINGLE
2 Adult(s) @ £60.00 : £120.00
Total: £120.00

FDS, £120.00 Outward 08:20
£120.00

FIRST ANYTIME DAY SINGLE

FDS, £120.00 Outward 08:35
£120.00

FIRST ANYTIME DAY SINGLE

FDS, £120.00 Outward 08:39
£120.00

FIRST ANYTIME DAY SINGLE

FDS, £120.00 Outward 09:05 Results are based on the fastest available trains. Click here to check if slower routes with cheaper tickets are available.

[quote name='tdtanc']Which tix do you recommend I buy. Need 2. Was thinking of buying the cheapest first class outward tickets. Do not need roundtrip. Just one way to southampton to catch cruise.[/QUOTE]As you're travelling on a Saturday, you only need off-peak tickets and you can also use the Weekend First offer. Buy an off-peak day single in standard class (ie £31.70 pp). Then simply take a seat in first class, and pay a £5 supplement to the ticket inspector. More details [URL="http://www.southwesttrains.co.uk/tickettypes.aspx"]here[/URL]. First class is definitely worth £5, but not worth £23, IMHO. I have never known there to be any real pressure on space for this offer.[quote name='tdtanc']One other question......how much luggage can you bring on the train? 2 people 4 pieces of luggage ok?[/QUOTE]That will be fine.

Archived