considering a switch

trvlqueen

We booked Victory on an early saver rate for 6/6 ... but I've been looking at rates for May, which we originally ruled out due to my oldest being in high school, and they are sooooo much better.

I know it will cost $50 pp to make the change because of early saver, but prices are such that we could get a balcony cabin for only about $50 more than we paid for an ov and could get an ov for about $350 less ... that's a lot of dods.

My dd is a freshman this year ... she's mostly homeschooled, but takes 2 classes at the local high school. (spanish and choir) The only final this would impact is Spanish ... any thoughts from the crowd out there? I didn't take a language in high school so don't know how impactful pulling her out for a week might be. (she has a 98% going in the class now, so not struggling at all)

My husband is in favor of leaving it alone, but I'm really wondering about this ... we'd also lose the early saver rate and move to fun saver (early saver is not available with more than 2 in a cabin on this sailing). June is a big month for cruising, early enough that we should (fingers crossed) avoid the hurricane issue, but I'm thinking that we'd be really lucky to see any price drops. Moving to May costs us $250, but nets us $70 off the third passenger in a cabin and $100 off the first two in each cabin for a total savings of $220 ... plus we'd save on my Mom and sister's cabin which brings us back to the $350.

My dd is a freshman this year ... she's mostly homeschooled, but takes 2 classes at the local high school. (spanish and choir) The only final this would impact is Spanish ... any thoughts from the crowd out there? I didn't take a language in high school so don't know how impactful pulling her out for a week might be. (she has a 98% going in the class now, so not struggling at all)

The only person that could answer this is you DDs teacher. What is their policy on missing finals? IMO she could do some immersion practice with Spanish on the cruise...;)

I would keep it the way it is, because I went with ES and as of today have $360 OBC, so you will probably get more back then you would be saving, but not only that, your daughter won't be under any stress for her one final. If you booked your other cabins under ES, they also will get OBC when the prices go down, so that will even be more savings.

BTW, between now and the time you sail, you will be seeing a lot of these price changes, so like I said, I would leave it the way it is otherwise you will be in a frenzy all the time.

I would take the earlier cruise. Save the money. Regarding finals ask the teacher if she can take the final early. Most teacher would be ok with students taking the final early. As a teacher it frustrates me that cruises are cheaper during the school year. Ask the teacher:confused:

She wouldn't actually miss the final ... just some material and study opportunity prior to ... missing a week of school just before finals is more what I was worried about. I think finals are the week of Memorial day, Wed Thurs and Fri (unless we have snow days, and in Chicago, it's likely)

I think I'll check with the TA ... firefly, good point ... I'm not sure I like the idea of Carnival picking my cabin. I've always made it a point to pick my own after researching noise levels. We like to have a good time, but also enjoy being able to sleep when we want to!

I not over excited about CCL picking my cabin. Unless its a last minute thing

and then I can't be too picky.

But my thoughts about pulling DD out of school. Our kids school online at

home and have the flexibility to travel is nice. I wish we had the ability to

place them in part time to a Spanish class. I personally don't think she

miss too much myself, but don't burn bridges if the school is helping you

out. I would talk with the teacher to get his/her thoughts on this before

you make a decision.

She wouldn't actually miss the final ... just some material and study opportunity prior to ... missing a week of school just before finals is more what I was worried about. I think finals are the week of Memorial day, Wed Thurs and Fri (unless we have snow days, and in Chicago, it's likely)

I think I'll check with the TA ... firefly, good point ... I'm not sure I like the idea of Carnival picking my cabin. I've always made it a point to pick my own after researching noise levels. We like to have a good time, but also enjoy being able to sleep when we want to!

I am sure our opinions regarding taking your child out of school are of some assistance in your decision, but really isn't the decision determined from the teachers of the classes (or school policies) she will be missing and wouldnt their thoughts on this issue be of more value to you than from some message board members ?

You stated in your original post: "but I've been looking at rates for May, which we originally ruled out due to my oldest being in high school, and they are sooooo much better".

Good luck in your decisions but my thoughts on this would be do you really want to suggest to your child that a vacation is more important than their education just to save some $$'s? JMHO

I am sure our opinions regarding taking your child out of school are of some assistance in your decision, but really isn't the decision determined from the teachers of the classes (or school policies) she will be missing and wouldnt their thoughts on this issue be of more value to you than from some message board members ?

You stated in your original post: "but I've been looking at rates for May, which we originally ruled out due to my oldest being in high school, and they are sooooo much better".

Good luck in your decisions but my thoughts on this would be do you really want to suggest to your child that a vacation is more important than their education just to save some $$'s? JMHO

As an educator, I would have to say it is up to the parent to decide things for their student. Because the US INSISTS, due to many people who fear change, the artifice of an agrarian calendar in a predominantly non-agrarian society these issues do arise. THANK GOD that FL offers year-round schooling in the form of an online K-12 school, FLVS.

Make the choice that works best for your family and work with the teachers at your school. I know as a teacher at the aformentioned school, I am flexible with parents and teachers as it our policy to meet the needs of our students and their families!

:DRebecca

She has a 98% at this point. Missing a week of class is unlikely to change that much- has she missed school because of the H1N1Flu? Or other illnesses? Where does the cruise head? Mexico? Great chance for her to use her language. Since she is home schooled, you could also give her some related assignments- geography and politics come to mind, besides the language. Have her ask the teacher in advance for any handouts she might be offering for study. I'd do it. If she was carrying a full HS load at school I'd probably not, but one class? I'd go for it.

We took our daughter out of school the week before Christmas to Cruise. I figured the cultural education she got by going to Panama, Costa Rica and Belize were much more beneficial than the pre Christmas filler the students do before vacation. Just my two cents, my daughter is a sophmore in HS.

Thanks for all the opinions. Having a kid in school is a new experience for us ... and no, she hasn't missed any school due to illness. Thankfully, we seem to have pretty healthy kids. I will check with the teacher and see what her opinion is, but she's said in the past that any opportunity to travel to a Spanish speaking country is one we shouldn't pass up ... and while this doesn't go to any Spanish speaking countries, it does depart from Puerto Rico, so she'd have ample opportunity to practice there.

If the teacher is willing, do those of you who have cruised in June have any wisdom for me on the likelihood of price drops? Because we homeschool, we usually cruise in shoulder season (May/October) or January, avoiding all school breaks and holidays. Haven't really watched prices to see what happens in the summer months. Has anyone received price drops during that time, or should I expect them to rise? My guess would be that they'd go up and therefore we wouldn't miss out on much by switching.

Trvlqueen:

I am cruising on the Victory in June two weeks later than yours and we have had one price drop so far. I am sure that within the next 60-90 days we will see even more as soon as the groups drop the blocks they have been holding until after the new year. Have you bought airfare yet? might want to look at those prices and see if they would be more or less expensive based on your dates. I know right now AA and Airtran have cheap rates going into San Juan for the month of June. I was able to book roundtrip for 298pp.

Archived