High Blood Pressure and scuba

cruisejunkie

My husband and I both have high blood pressure that is moderated with medication. Can we do a beginning scuba dive.? I have done it twice in the past and my husband has tried it in a pool. We both would really love to get beyond snorkeling. We are on the NCL Sun and are thinking about Grand Cayman or Cozumel. Any suggestions?

If you are honest when you fill out the release form, you won't (or shouldn't) be allowed to dive without a doctor's approval. Go see your doctor. If he is fine with it, get him to write a note saying as much.

Or better yet, here are a couple of links to scuba diving medical forms. You can print them out at home, read them over and act accordingly.

http://www.padimembers.com/members/shared/readingroom/eforms/english/pdfs/10063-Ver2-0.pdf

http://www.mauiscuba.net/new/downloads/padimed.pdf

They are probably the same general form. Anyway, it should get you started. I don't think high blood pressure that is moderated with medicine will exclude you from doing a discover scuba if you get the Doc's OK.

I'm not in anyway suggestion that you lie, but if you didn't want to visit the Dr. you could be less than honest of the release form, but I wouldn't do this.

Wow, I'd really suggest at least a phone call to your doctor before diving! The cause of your high blood pressure could make a difference in whether or not diving is a safe activity.

I agree with Bruce-r though, be honest on your release form and have a letter from your doctor ready to produce for the dive-op if they want it.

Some medical conditions will allow you to dive, but with restrictions. For instance, you may be restricted to depths of no greater than 60 feet. I don't know if high blood pressure falls into this category. However, if it does you want to make sure that your excursion will allow you to stick to your restrictions.

i take diovan hcl 160mg for my hbp and have no problems diving. but i do so with clearance from my physician... so while you likely can do it, i echo the sentiments of the others that you need to get it ok'd by your doc.

Here's what DAN has to say about diving with high blood pressure:

http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/medical/faq/faq.asp?faqid=64

Bottom line is they say to worry more about the effects of your meds than the BP itself. But if you can handle physical exertion on land and pay careful attention to hydration, they seem to think you'll be fine.

Kathi

I've dove w/ high blood pressure since my mid-20's (I'm 33 now). I always put down on the liability form what I have and the meds I take (there are two of them) and I've never been asked for a doctor's note or anything...maybe 'cause they either don't read them, or didn't feel concerned due to my age??? I don't know!! Either way, it hasn't been an issue for me and I've never been restricted by depth!

Archived