Port or Starboard from Bayonne to see Statue of Liberty?

BigMattT

Howdy --

Quick question--when departing from Bayonne (Liberty), which side of the ship will the Statue of Liberty be viewable?

From a NYC departure, the boards say starboard... but can't seem to find anything for a New Jersey departure... is it port side?

Choosing a cabin on Summit for October...

Thanks in advance!

~Matt

Howdy --

Quick question--when departing from Bayonne (Liberty), which side of the ship will the Statue of Liberty be viewable?

From a NYC departure, the boards say starboard... but can't seem to find anything for a New Jersey departure... is it port side?

Choosing a cabin on Summit for October...

Thanks in advance!

~Matt

Starboard side, aft. Most likely the ship will be berthed bow in and will have to back out from the pier.

Don't chose a cabin just for that. Once the ship gets underway, it will be viewed from the stern.

The Statue will be on your port side sailing from Bayonne, but is so far away, it's really not much to see without binoculars or a powerful zoom lens. Sailing from Manhattan was spectacular as you sail right by the Statue on your starboard & the City skyline on port side.

Matt,

You also don't mention the dates of your sailing. If this is a sailing during a time of year that departure will be after sunset, there's not much need to sweat the location.

As others have pointed out, the iconic Miss Liberty is so far, far removed from the Bayonne berths that even after dark with lights on her it will be difficult to see the Statue. You will be able to pick it out, but the view will not be impressive.

CM

Thanks for the responses, folks!

Have been weighing all the info out there for a choice between Aft CC, 6143, or 6136 (6144 is unavailable). Never know when something like a "sail-by" of the Statue of Liberty would tip the balances toward being on one side of the ship or other.

I suppose my question should have been "Can I see her at all?" Which it seems the answer is--"not really, go get started on your boozin' and cruisin'." :)

(And fyi--I'm going to do 6143, with being able to enjoy lots of sunrise breakfasts on our balcony as the deciding factor. Surprised its available.. it always seems the cabins I want or read about are already taken by the time I book a cruise...)

Cheers and thanks again.

~Matt

The ship pulls out at 4pm, and there will be plenty of daylight since it will be DST. Anyway, you won't want to view anything from your stateroom balcony on deck 6. Head up to the Mast Bar on deck 11 as you are getting underway.

I'll disagree with my fellow posters here. The Statue of Liberty is not that far away. We sailed to Bermuda on the Azamara Journey and thoroughly enjoyed our exit from the harbor. I will agree that your balcony is not the best place to check out the departure anyway.

BTW, I work in Bayonne and note that the ships usually berth with the bow towards the harbor so if you don't want to leave your stateroom when the ship departs, get a port side cabin.

Twice we have sailed out of Bayonne and both times it was port side. I seem to always book port side anyway - just my preference. I must say, if you are lucky enough to have a full moon, as we once did, the sailaway was breathtaking. The skyline of NYC, passing the Statue of Liberty and going under the one huge bridge (don't know the name) with the full moon shining on the water - was something I will never forget. We stayed on our balcony(once on the 6th floor and once on the 8th) and popped open the complimentary champagne and loved the evening.

Enjoy the view - you will love it.

Ruthk,

St. Catharines, Canada.

Archived