Bermuda violence

islegroove

Hi,

I'm a reporter for the Bermuda Sun newspaper. I'm checking to see if the violence in Bermuda this past year would make any difference in whether or not people are booking a cruise to the island this year. For those who don't follow the news regularly, there have been five shooting deaths since May or is Bermuda still considered safer than islands like Bahamas, Jamaica and Puerto Rico?

http://http://www.bermudasun.bm/main.asp?FromHome=1&TypeID=1&ArticleID=44088&SectionID=24&SubSectionID=270

I have been to Bermuda four times. I am aware that there has been an increase in violence in Bermuda. I don't think that any of the murders included tourists but even if they did, I would still return to Bermuda. Its clearly extremely safe and its unfortunate that it has crime like the rest of the world. It certainly is less dangerous than any of the islands you cite. And a lot safer than Rio...

PS the first time I was there I witnessed an arrest in St George of someone who was fighting with the Police and the aftermath of a mugging where the police were searching for a woman's pocket book so I am aware that Bermuda is not crime free.

ps your link doesn't work

The shootings per se do not worry me as much as the general atmosphere that seems to prevail.....if they are so brazen to shoot people, what else are they capable of?

True as Sid says, no tourist has been shot but there have been other instances of things involving tourists. I believe someone was assulted during the day on a golf course and one person reported here about having valuables stolen while at the beach.....which BTW, the police were in contact with them and the person was caught.:)

I've been to Bermuda 11 times and it has changed from my very first visit. I can remember being out at night with no worries as a young 21 year old, something I would not do today.....maybe ignorance was bliss.;)

We have a friend in Bermuda that has cautioned us to be careful even during the day now. A couple trips havwe been on my own without DH and I still felt relatively safe....as safe as I would feel on my own anywhere in the US or anywhere I travelled on my own in Europe.

I do follow the daily news and right now, the events have me concerned but not enough, at this point, to consider not going..... but that could change. We don't know what our plans are for this year but we are talking about bringing 2 little girls to introduce a third generation to Bermuda in 2011.:)

We have been to Bermuda about 20 times and have alway considered it safe even though my wife was a robbery victim a few years ago..We have always known that there was small crime problem but now with the increased use of firearms, Bermuda has taken on a whole new look. Its not a pretty one...

I remember our one day we spent in Bermuda - we were told that crime is almost non existent - this was back in 06. It was one of the things that stuck out in our heads. We were told that the punishment for any crime was so bad that no one would chance it. Now I'm sure there is always crime, but this is more than we imagined.

Hi,

I'm a reporter for the Bermuda Sun newspaper. I'm checking to see if the violence in Bermuda this past year would make any difference in whether or not people are booking a cruise to the island this year. For those who don't follow the news regularly, there have been five shooting deaths since May or is Bermuda still considered safer than islands like Bahamas, Jamaica and Puerto Rico?

http://http://www.bermudasun.bm/main.asp?FromHome=1&TypeID=1&ArticleID=44088&SectionID=24&SubSectionID=270

I had asked a similar question a while back and there was no evidence of concern from the respondents. The consensus seemed to be that violence was everywhere and that Bermuda was still far safer than many other destinations. Now, however, I feel the level of violence is growing to the point where it can no longer be ignored.

Part of the charm of Bermuda is the feeling that one can walk anywhere in safety. This, combined with easy transport, cleanliness and English being spoken makes it a very safe "foreign" destination.

Nevertheless, I don't see how people could fail to be influenced by reports of violence; especially gang activity resulting in numerous deaths. While Bermuda is still top of my list of places to which I would like to return, I will definitely keep reading the Bermuda news online and the information I find will absolutely influence my choice of spots to which my family will travel.

I am still planning a cruise this year and possible a trip next Winter for the Bermuda open chess tournament, but both are contingent upon Bermuda remaining to be a "safe" destination.

I had asked a similar question a while back and there was no evidence of concern from the respondents. The consensus seemed to be that violence was everywhere and that Bermuda was still far safer than many other destinations. Now, however, I feel the level of violence is growing to the point where it can no longer be ignored.

Part of the charm of Bermuda is the feeling that one can walk anywhere in safety. This, combined with easy transport, cleanliness and English being spoken makes it a very safe "foreign" destination.

Nevertheless, I don't see how people could fail to be influenced by reports of violence; especially gang activity resulting in numerous deaths. While Bermuda is still top of my list of places to which I would like to return, I will definitely keep reading the Bermuda news online and the information I find will absolutely influence my choice of spots to which my family will travel.

I am still planning a cruise this year and possible a trip next Winter for the Bermuda open chess tournament, but both are contingent upon Bermuda remaining to be a "safe" destination.

I completely agree with you and also with RichNY in that the increased forearms are most alarming. As I previously said, not enough to be overly concerned at the moment but that could change at any time.

I will also chime in...I love Bermuda...it holds a very special place in my heart. I have visited there 15 or 16 times. I have never thought twice about walking anywhere..day or night. I also keep up to date on the news in Bermuda via online newspapers, etc. I am aware of the changes, and I have stopped to reflect on them. Will it prevent me from visiting?...No..

I did notice a difference in myself when I was there in October....I was just a little more nervous...more aware of people around me...a little edgy on a beautiful afternoon stroll on Par-la-ville Park...so , yeah...I guess I am aware of the increased violence. But I will be back!

I remember our one day we spent in Bermuda - we were told that crime is almost non existent - this was back in 06. It was one of the things that stuck out in our heads. We were told that the punishment for any crime was so bad that no one would chance it.

While crime in Bermuda isn't as prevalent as many other islands it certainly existed in 2006 and is obviously getting worse now. Four gang related murders in December alone, on an island of 68,000 people is a major cause for concern. I read in the New York Post this morning that the government of Bermuda is consulting with the New York Police Department regarding the gang problem.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/national/mike_beach_patrol_3uGqLMDZF6q4dhxd1LbtxN

I couldn't care less. Was in Bermuda in November 09 and had a great time, no worries.

Violence, and specifically gang violence, is not directed at tourists and most cruisers are happily snoozing back on the ships at night.

It is more of an issue for the locals and not cruisers.

You think so? Where do you live? I see stories on a regular basis of innocent people being caught in the crossfire of gang violence in US cities. It's only a matter of time before that happens to a tourist in Bermuda.

Did you see what happened a couple of weeks ago to a group of tourists on cruise ship shore excursions in Nassau, Bahamas? Robbed at gunpoint by a gang of thugs. Fortunately no one was killed or seriously injured.

I realize Bermuda is overall still a safe place compared to much of the world, but just dismissing the possibility of the increase in crime and gang violence affecting cruisers is extraordinarily naive.

I remember our one day we spent in Bermuda - we were told that crime is almost non existent - this was back in 06. It was one of the things that stuck out in our heads. We were told that the punishment for any crime was so bad that no one would chance it. Now I'm sure there is always crime, but this is more than we imagined.

I think the person who told you this was being a bit "overly positive".;)

If the punishment for any crime was so bad that no on would chance it, things may not have gotten to the point they are right now. If it had been 25 years ago I might believe it but not just 4 years ago.

You think so? Where do you live? I see stories on a regular basis of innocent people being caught in the crossfire of gang violence in US cities. It's only a matter of time before that happens to a tourist in Bermuda...............

This is EXACTLY my concern since there have been shootings in broad daylight, not just when we are snoozing back on the ship.

BTW, Happy New Year Horse.:)

I am looking forward to visiting Bermuda in May, it was one of the reasons I booked this cruise. I have to admit I was't aware of the increase in violence but I live in South Florida so it's always around. You have to be careful and aware of your surroundings and I'll only book tours through the ship.

I am looking forward to visiting Bermuda in May, it was one of the reasons I booked this cruise. I have to admit I was't aware of the increase in violence but I live in South Florida so it's always around. You have to be careful and aware of your surroundings and I'll only book tours through the ship.

Yes, you have to be careful but booking tours only through the ship is not really necessary IMO.

What, if any, tours are you looking at or have in mind?

I think the person who told you this was being a bit "overly positive".;)

If the punishment for any crime was so bad that no on would chance it, things may not have gotten to the point they are right now. If it had been 25 years ago I might believe it but not just 4 years ago.

This is EXACTLY my concern since there have been shootings in broad daylight, not just when we are snoozing back on the ship.

BTW, Happy New Year Horse.:)

Thank you...and the same to you and your family.

I hope my post didn't make me sound naive - I realize there is crime everywhere. But the low crime is a big part of what draws people there along with teh beauty of the Islands. Remember with a cruise to Bermuda - you are usually there 2-3 days - it's not like going to the caribbean for a day. I do believe that if the crine continues to escalate - it will be an issue and folks will start to think twice about visiting.

And to think cruisers / tourists wouldn't be tarheted - I strongly disagree.. We would be prime targets! I still plan to go and have a fantastic time - and celebrate the 15th anniversary of my partner and I.

I will have to keep up with BM news.

My concern is the problem will only get worse and Bermuda will eventually become another Jamaica. Heaven forbid. Hopefully the government will take the necessary steps to avoid that happening. BTW, I have heard the Bermudian criminal justice system isn't very strict at all. Maybe the threat of incarceration isn't much of a deterrent. How about tougher penalties for drug possession and especially distribution?

You think so? Where do you live? I see stories on a regular basis of innocent people being caught in the crossfire of gang violence in US cities. It's only a matter of time before that happens to a tourist in Bermuda.

I've been enough places to realize the bias of the news media in sensationalizing the rare collateral damage. Gang violence is much more up close and personal. When you come across someone you have issues with, you settle it then. Point blank in the head.

My concern is the problem will only get worse and Bermuda will eventually become another Jamaica. Heaven forbid. Hopefully the government will take the necessary steps to avoid that happening. BTW, I have heard the Bermudian criminal justice system isn't very strict at all. Maybe the threat of incarceration isn't much of a deterrent. How about tougher penalties for drug possession and especially distribution?

The violence is Jamaica is NOT directed at tourists. It is drug and sometimes politically related. I love Jamaica and never have problems there. Avoid politics and drugs and you will be fine.

The violence is Jamaica is NOT directed at tourists. It is drug and sometimes politically related. I love Jamaica and never have problems there. Avoid politics and drugs and you will be fine.

That's baloney. A friend of mine was robbed by someone with a knife right in front of the resort he and his wife were staying at in Jamaica. I've been to Jamaica many times and wont even bother getting off the ship anymore due to the rude, obnoxious behavior of the locals. Many friends feel the exact same way. It's negative reputation is well deserved.

I've been enough places to realize the bias of the news media in sensationalizing the rare collateral damage. Gang violence is much more up close and personal. When you come across someone you have issues with, you settle it then. Point blank in the head.

Your use of the term "rare collateral damage" as if we were talking about an unintended civilian death in a war zone is pathetic and sick.

That's baloney. A friend of mine was robbed by someone with a knife right in front of the resort he and his wife were staying at in Jamaica. I've been to Jamaica many times and wont even bother getting off the ship anymore due to the rude, obnoxious behavior of the locals. Many friends feel the exact same way. It's negative reputation is well deserved.

And if Bermuda doesn't do something, it's reputation will be down the toilet as well. The Deputy Premier has spoken out about the situation.

http://www.royalgazette.com/rg/Article/article.jsp?articleId=7da14a730030001&sectionId=60

Archived