Aft vs. Starboard/Port Cabins?

This has probably been asked before but Aft cabins seem to be popular. Any thoughts on them verses one on either side? My gal just switched us from a side Balcony on Jewel in November to an aft cabin in the middle of Deck 10.

She has been on 12 cruises but never stayed in one and hears they are much requested.

Even the guy at RCCL says they are a premium deal with a very large balcony and slightly bigger room.

Your thoughts?

This has probably been asked before but Aft cabins seem to be popular. Any thoughts on them verses one on either side? My gal just switched us from a side Balcony on Jewel in November to an aft cabin in the middle of Deck 10.

She has been on 12 cruises but never stayed in one and hears they are much requested.

Even the guy at RCCL says they are a premium deal with a very large balcony and slightly bigger room.

Your thoughts?

Here is a picture of all aft cabins on Radiance, sister ship to Jewel. Yes, the balconies are deeper, not wider. I don't believe the cabin size is larger, but could be wrong. Might be a little deeper, but not wider.

It is a very long walk from the Centrum to all aft cabins. There are no stairs or elevators in the aft part of the ship. The stairway that is shown on the deck plan in the aft section is for staff/crew only.

Since your cabin is on Deck 10, then you will be directly underneath the outdoor eating area of the Windjammer Cafe. You may hear some noise late in the evenings when they are cleaning up or early morning when folks are eating breakfast outside.

You will have an excellent view from your center cabin...........in fact, any aft cabin allows for great viewing when looking right or left.

Radiancestern.jpg

Wow that's an awesome pic. Thank you.

I have to check with Linda but we are in either 1104 or 1604.

That is also one advantage that you can see either side of the ship.

Our first reservation got us in one of the "outcrops" on deck ten which also had some appeal but also allowed a little less privacy as people down the side of the ship can see you on the balcony which was no real big deal but still. The balconies definitely look larger on those little outcrops.

Thanks!

You'll love it. I love aft cabins. They tend to be quieter since there isn't as much traffic in the hallways outside of the cabin, but since you are directly below the Windjammer you might hear more. It was also fun to watch the jet skis and motor boats chase after the ship as we left port in Miami. Here's a link to my photo showing what it was like:

http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2333917680046255263sHKQyT

Have a lovely time on your cruise!

Theresa

You'll love it. I love aft cabins. They tend to be quieter since there isn't as much traffic in the hallways outside of the cabin, but since you are directly below the Windjammer you might hear more. It was also fun to watch the jet skis and motor boats chase after the ship as we left port in Miami. Here's a link to my photo showing what it was like:

http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2333917680046255263sHKQyT

Have a lovely time on your cruise!

Theresa

Awesome. Thank you.

I figure another bonus is that if my girl wants to throw me overboard (entirely possible), I only have a short trip to the balcony below us.

:D

I'm not sure what you mean by "outcrops" but if I think you may mean what we refer to as "hump" cabins. Anyway, as you yourself suspected, this conversation has been discussed many times so I recommend you do a search for "aft." You will get all the answers you will ever need. Also, you may want to do a search for "hump." The aft and hump cabins are the premier cabins on the ships. I have stayed in both on Jewel, and for that ship, I would hands down say go with aft.

Two negatives - 1) the walk, which isn't that big a deal to most, but can be to some. And, 2) the motion. Depending on the seas, the aft of the ship can be noticably rougher than the middle. We don't get seasick, but there was one afternoon, when the seas were very rough, when we chose to go sit in the hot tub to get out of the cabin because it was just a bit much in the aft. We noticed the difference too from the centrum to the aft lounge, which I think is called the Safari Club on Jewel. The club was noticably rougher than the centrum. Since your gals has been on 12 cruises, I presume the motion is probably not a big deal - and again, this is only noticable in rough seas - in normal seas, it is smooth throughout the ship.

I'm not sure what you mean by "outcrops" but if I think you may mean what we refer to as "hump" cabins. Anyway, as you yourself suspected, this conversation has been discussed many times so I recommend you do a search for "aft." You will get all the answers you will ever need. Also, you may want to do a search for "hump." The aft and hump cabins are the premier cabins on the ships. I have stayed in both on Jewel, and for that ship, I would hands down say go with aft.

Two negatives - 1) the walk, which isn't that big a deal to most, but can be to some. And, 2) the motion. Depending on the seas, the aft of the ship can be noticably rougher than the middle. We don't get seasick, but there was one afternoon, when the seas were very rough, when we chose to go sit in the hot tub to get out of the cabin because it was just a bit much in the aft. We noticed the difference too from the centrum to the aft lounge, which I think is called the Safari Club on Jewel. The club was noticably rougher than the centrum. Since your gals has been on 12 cruises, I presume the motion is probably not a big deal - and again, this is only noticable in rough seas - in normal seas, it is smooth throughout the ship.

More good points that we have considered. Neither of us gets seasick so that's good, and yes I wasn't sure what to call the hump cabins.

I will do a little search and I am forum savvy but sometimes lazy with the searches.

With my winter weight and the food I'll eat on the cruise a little extra walk will do me good!

Thanks!

Should also mention the thrusters, too. They are more noticeable in the aft than midsection. Woke up one morning in Scandinavia thinking I was in California during an earthquake ;). Had a nice laugh over that one.

The walk is long, but it will definitely help you from putting on any extra pounds during the cruise.

Should also mention the thrusters, too. They are more noticeable in the aft than midsection. Woke up one morning in Scandinavia thinking I was in California during an earthquake ;). Had a nice laugh over that one.

The walk is long, but it will definitely help you from putting on any extra pounds during the cruise.

I had heard about the thrusters in the early morning on port days, and the anchor in front as well.

This res. is for an 11 day on Jewel in November.

We sail on Liberty on the 24th of this month and have a midsection balcony on deck ten to compare.

Booked my second cruise before even going on the first....lol

Althought both DH & I could benifit from the long walk having an Aft Cabin, we prefer mid ship and being closer to everything. This is our preferance, but we enjoy seeing where we are going then where we came from. The great thing about cruise ships, is that there is something to suit everyones needs. Certain cabins may not be ideal but overall, there probably isn't a wrong cabin, it is your cruise and as long as your happy with everything then it is a good cruise.

Archived