Breaking News P&O is safe!

geecee1

"Well P&O,I am sure, will not turn down my membership application if I decide to go on Ventura next winter. "

I am sure they will not turn down your membership, but they may enforce the terms of the membership once you are on board, which could be to deny you access to areas where there is a dress code, if you do not conform to that code. Which could be on some ships, all area's other than the buffet area and your cabin.

Once on board, you could have no complaint if this was the case, as it would have been down to you to read the terms of membership, before you signed up.

At the end of the day P&O are the owners, they make the rules and have a right to implement them, however they see fit, and however much, anybody has paid to join the club. The fact that some people may not have read the rules or want to try flaunt them, is down to the individual, and they can have no argument, if in this case P&O, decide to implement the terms of membership. If people do not like it and get stropy, then P&O or any other line, could unload you at the nearest port, to find your own way home. Not that they would re dress code.

For me, I read the terms, if I like them I sign up and go along with the flow, if I don't like them, I don't sign up. I think the problem is, people who read them, sign up, and then think they can flaunt them.

Whether P&O have made a marketing error, by implementing dress codes on to their ships, only they will know, but I am sure they would soon drop them if they thought it was loosing them money. I think they realise there is still a large market, for these type of ships, how long that remains, is any body's guess.

Anyway I'm looking forward to trying Thomson ships in about 8 weeks, and have my white tux jacket, ready for the one formal night per week.:eek:

"Well P&O,I am sure, will not turn down my membership application if I decide to go on Ventura next winter. "

I am sure they will not turn down your membership, but they may enforce the terms of the membership once you are on board, which could be to deny you access to areas where there is a dress code, if you do not conform to that code.

And as i've said before i saw no evidence of this on Ventura in December 09. Only restrictions i saw was lounges being set aside for weddings or Portunas meetings.

On Formal nights there were notices in the buffet saying dress code was smart casual! Work that one out anyone who says follow the rules. By the fourth formal night there were nowhere near 95% of people following the dress code.

The first time I graced a p&o dining room with fashion jeans on I thought I'd get refused entry. I expected it .... But noone questioned me or asked me to leave. So I put it down to the fact that I looked the nuts!

But I just love formal nights and conform willingly because it's my thing and I look fab in a dj !

Each to their own I suppose. I just love seeing everyone dressed up. It's a beautiful event that I look forward to immensly.

Really excited now !

Stitch XXXXXXX

Ken, the hotel argument is not valid. I have stayed in hotels(on business) where black tie events are being held and under no circumstances would I expect to be allowed access to the room/bar set aside for that event. I would, hoever, as a paying guest, expect to be able to use the rest of the facilities. Similarly, on board ship, I, having paid money to use the facilities, would be aggrieved to find denied access to the great majority of them if the dress code was imposed shipwide, as many of your fellow posters seem to expect.
So the cruise line states that it has black tie events and the dress code is required for the main dining room and show lounges ... therefore within your argument it is valid for people that are not suitably attired to be denied access to those areas. I think that is all anybody has suggested.
I think that is an even sadder reflection on modern society that the herd mentality should be imposed on a minority who wish to be different.
.. and even sadder when small minorities are allowed to dictate an agenda to the majority and drive standards down (sadly this is allowed to happen in various different aspects of British life).

I have read on these forums/and met people on OV who have been treated as second class citizens ....
I take such 'stories' with a pinch of salt and often consider them to be 'agenda driven' and/or vastly exaggerated and/or deliberatley sparse on detail. I (as an ex OVer) have never witnessed or experienced such treatments (which, if they happen, should be condemned by all .. I doubt very much though if it is anything to do with OV/P&O/any cruise line as opposed to individuals who do not know how to be behave).

The first time I graced a p&o dining room with fashion jeans on I thought I'd get refused entry. I expected it .... But noone questioned me or asked me to leave. So I put it down to the fact that I looked the nuts!

But I just love formal nights and conform willingly because it's my thing and I look fab in a dj !

Each to their own I suppose. I just love seeing everyone dressed up. It's a beautiful event that I look forward to immensly.

Really excited now !

Stitch XXXXXXX

Jeans are allowed on P&O under "Smart Casual" They should only be worn by those with the figure for them. I have noticed that some cabins do not appear to have mirrors in them.

So the cruise line states that it has black tie events and the dress code is required for the main dining room and show lounges ... therefore within your argument it is valid for people that are not suitably attired to be denied access to those areas. I think that is all anybody has suggested.

.. and even sadder when small minorities are allowed to dictate an agenda to the majority and drive standards down (sadly this is allowed to happen in various different aspects of British life).

I take such 'stories' with a pinch of salt and often consider them to be 'agenda driven' and/or vastly exaggerated and/or deliberatley sparse on detail. I (as an ex OVer) have never witnessed or experienced such treatments (which, if they happen, should be condemned by all .. I doubt very much though if it is anything to do with OV/P&O/any cruise line as opposed to individuals who do not know how to be behave).

Ken, no pinch of salt required. I spent a a considerable amount of time talking to the lady in question. If you want proof that racism is alive and well in these islands and your beloved P&O read Capn Pugwash's blog detailig his recent trip on Arcadia.

Here we go again about driving standards down just because I choose not to wear one outfit on one night per week. It absolutely reeks of the sort of snobbery that does our nation as much harm as any lager lout in Benidorm.

Forget the "main dining room" and "show lounges", some people talk of a shipwide enforcement(what a great word to use on holiday!) However, Matty Barlow's experience on his recent Ventura voyage suggests that this was not the case. Ventura is the only ship I am interested in because of her Caribbean itineries in 2011 and I have no intention of squeezing any of my expensive jackets and slacks(no penguin suit will ever grace my wardrobe) into 23kgs of luggage so that I can ponce about in the main dining room on Gala or any other nights.

Jeans are allowed on P&O under "Smart Casual" They should only be worn by those with the figure for them. I have noticed that some cabins do not appear to have mirrors in them.

You do make me chuckle john .................. I have got a sexy bottom .....or so i've been told ! Hope yours is the same !

Stitch ( unbelieveably excited now !!!! ) xxxxxxxx

Lets all stop arguing about stuff !

Does anyone fancy coming on the party weekender on Arcadia in July ...... we'll have a blast ! We've even booked our same cabin again (this will be the third time).

By the way Geecee when do you fly to Bridgetown ??

Stitch x ps i'm always right !!

Gibbes beach....to us is superb as it is completely natural, no facilities, no vendors, no music, no watersports. Subject to seasonal erosion though. Never been to Oistins, not my thing at all, but I quite like the sound of the Boatyard to a degree. I would consider looking at alternative hotels to EATG though.

John, appreciate your comments re: EATG. I know it is at the lower end of the market but we have spoken to people from Leeds who have stayed there.

As long as it is clean,we shall be ok. The position on Dover beach is ideal for our means(we have experienced beach vendors across the Caribbean and Europe, by far the most aggressive being the West Africans in Gran Canaria).

Besides,the price we got from our TA was a no brainer i.e. less than an inside cabin on OV for two weeks AI.Not expecting fine dining so we wont be disappointed.

Enjoy your cruise and I look forward to your review when you get back.

Lets all stop arguing about stuff !

Does anyone fancy coming on the party weekender on Arcadia in July ...... we'll have a blast ! We've even booked our same cabin again (this will be the third time).

By the way Geecee when do you fly to Bridgetown ??

Stitch x ps i'm always right !!

Stitch, we fly Virgin Atlantic from MCR on the 24th Jan, flying back from Bridgetown on 7th Feb.

John, I could not agree more. I look nearly as bad in jeans as I would feel uncomfortble in a DJ.

Stitch, we fly Virgin Atlantic from MCR on the 24th Jan, flying back from Bridgetown on 7th Feb.

Oh yea geecee , have a brilliant time and don't forget the insect repellent !! Make sure it contains deet and after spraying on you have to rub it into your skin x

But seriously have a goodun !!

Stitch x

Oh yea geecee , have a brilliant time and don't forget the insect repellent !! Make sure it contains deet and after spraying on you have to rub it into your skin x

But seriously have a goodun !!

Stitch x

Thanks, Stich, I will try my best. At the hardline members of PODA(P&O Defence Association) will be spared my daily diatribes!

Hi

As we have been on, and loved, Ocean Village we like the casual ,non formal type of cruise but I can see both sides of this debate.

What I cannot understand though is there must be hundreds of people who book Ventura reading in the brochure that Ventura "offers a vast amount of space to simply do your own thing..............is an ideal choice if you like your holidays to be spontaneous and flexible.....is comntempory and family friendly...........is a ship which brims with options day and night."

Initially when reading the above I pictured our ideal ship - very similar to Ocean Village. It is only when you read all the small print at the back of the brochure that you realise that there are formal nights, where men have to wear suits and ties..or worse, AND they apply to nearly a third of your holiday.

What happens to all those people who do not read forums and reviews online - there must be far more who don't than do. There are also lots of people who do not read the small print. Surely people unpack their cases and have no formal wear at all, what do they do? Spend days ashore shopping for the approprate attire? Or if you find out about formal evenings once you have booked can you cancel and get a refund?

I like to research and spend a lot of time doing so but I think I am overall in the minority.

Tracy...you are quite right, they do advertise Ventura & Oceana as ''casual & relaxed'' or something like that, it does give the wrong impression, especially to people who wander into a TA or just see it on TV without doing research on various lines & just book up without realising.

Hi

As we have been on, and loved, Ocean Village we like the casual ,non formal type of cruise but I can see both sides of this debate.

What I cannot understand though is there must be hundreds of people who book Ventura reading in the brochure that Ventura "offers a vast amount of space to simply do your own thing..............is an ideal choice if you like your holidays to be spontaneous and flexible.....is comntempory and family friendly...........is a ship which brims with options day and night."

Initially when reading the above I pictured our ideal ship - very similar to Ocean Village. It is only when you read all the small print at the back of the brochure that you realise that there are formal nights, where men have to wear suits and ties..or worse, AND they apply to nearly a third of your holiday.

What happens to all those people who do not read forums and reviews online - there must be far more who don't than do. There are also lots of people who do not read the small print. Surely people unpack their cases and have no formal wear at all, what do they do? Spend days ashore shopping for the approprate attire? Or if you find out about formal evenings once you have booked can you cancel and get a refund?

I like to research and spend a lot of time doing so but I think I am overall in the minority.

I think that P&O want to attract the OV customer base and that they are being almost deceitful in not headlining the dress code.

Like John,below, I want clarification on this before I commit my hardearned pennies!

The dress code thing applies to all cruise lines to various degrees & also to hotels & restaurants at certain land based resorts.

John, I am not by any means against dress codes. I adhere to them in holiday hotels all the time, but they rarely have formal nights like some cruise lines.

I also think that OV could take stricter line with those passengers that think swimwear is acceptable in The Blue Bar( I complained about this last year).

Contrary to what Ken says, I am not trying to impose my dress code on anyone.

Having been hooked on cruising by the clever marketing of OV, I,and thousands like me, are seeking to continue cruising on British ships with largely British passengers with an ethos that is similar to OV.

Carnival/P&O have seen fit to withdraw this brand in the UK, apparently to focus on the current product.

P&O is mature and established brand in the UK market. As a marketing man(now retired), I ,too, would be looking to protect market share and the introduction of the two smaller ships is obviously.

a move to secure the loyalty of their existing customer base.

However, the market leader should always be looking at market trends and be in a position to take advantage of the changing demographic of the market they serve.

Having sampled the market with OV, I am sure that they have at least become aware of a growing volume of potential customers who want something different to and I quote another poster refers to as" the total cruise experience".

Dai B is convinced that there is no UK demand for casual cruising(I have probably misquoted him again), but the market leader should lead the market and be innovative and drive change rather than respond too late.

They are too many sad instances of UK companies literally handing over market share by not responding to changing market trends.

Sorry to be so verbose ladies and gentlemen but as you are aware I have strong views on this!

I think there is no doubt of the need for a casual cruising product.

GeeCee ...as I recall the "blue Bar" is a really nice quite stylish bar indoors on OV, surely nobody would think swimwear was suitable for there, if so this is what people are concerned about..attitude.

Dai B is convinced that there is no UK demand for casual cruising(I have probably misquoted him again), but the market leader should lead the market and be innovative and drive change rather than respond too late.

They are too many sad instances of UK companies literally handing over market share by not responding to changing market trends.

Sorry to be so verbose ladies and gentlemen but as you are aware I have strong views on this!

Well yes, you have misquoted. I simply stated that if OV worked so well then Carnival would still be running it.

P&O knows its market and is not going to risk moving away from its core business.

:):)Happy Cruising:):)

:cool:

Dai

Well yes, you have misquoted. I simply stated that if OV worked so well then Carnival would still be running it.
There is a lot of misquoting going on

P&O knows its market and is not going to risk moving away from its core business.
I disagree with you Dai. I think Ventura has shown P&O that they need a ship for the lower end of the market and that is where Ventura is being positioned. The capacity of Ventura is similar to the combined total of both OV ships ... maybe it was accidental that Ventura ended up as the 'entry' level offering or maybe it was a deliberate marketing ploy (and a reason for getting shot of the ageing OV ships).

I think Oceana is almost being positioned a step above Ventura with the remainder of the fleet offering the traditional quality P&O product (maybe Oceana will be moved downwards towards the casual cruiser as well). I think/hope Azura will be the product that many hoped Ventura was going to be and it will be firmly placed at the middle/upper end of the P&O fleet.

However I think the most interesting and much awaited information is what new builds are in the pipeline (a rumour a while back thought there could be 2 more ships in the offering ... only a rumour though)

There is a lot of misquoting going on

I disagree with you Dai. I think Ventura has shown P&O that they need a ship for the lower end of the market and that is where Ventura is being positioned. The capacity of Ventura is similar to the combined total of both OV ships ... maybe it was accidental that Ventura ended up as the 'entry' level offering or maybe it was a deliberate marketing ploy (and a reason for getting shot of the ageing OV ships).

I think Oceana is almost being positioned a step above Ventura with the remainder of the fleet offering the traditional quality P&O product (maybe Oceana will be moved downwards towards the casual cruiser as well). I think/hope Azura will be the product that many hoped Ventura was going to be and it will be firmly placed at the middle/upper end of the P&O fleet.

However I think the most interesting and much awaited information is what new builds are in the pipeline (a rumour a while back thought there could be 2 more ships in the offering ... only a rumour though)

Forgetting all of the rubbish which has been written about Ventura. I do not think they are positioning it at any end of the market. When we were on, there was little difference between her and the other members of the fleet.

Formal nights were 95% DJ with the rest dark suit. All other aspects of the cruise were on a par with all our other cruises.

The overall impression I get is that some people are trying to talk Ventura down for there own purpose. The general reviews of Ventura are now very good. With far more positive comments than negative.

Dai

I think there is no doubt of the need for a casual cruising product.

GeeCee ...as I recall the "blue Bar" is a really nice quite stylish bar indoors on OV, surely nobody would think swimwear was suitable for there, if so this is what people are concerned about..attitude.

John. I assure they did. After I complained, I did not see them again!

Dai

Please read my post above re marketing. P&O is right in developing product for it's core market to maintain market share. But it's customer base is ageing and history tells us that if you do not innovate and rely on the same old model you slowly lose your market share. How many examples of this do you want: 1)Austin Rover etc.

I do not profess to be an expert but I have worked for a number of high profile businesses with household name brands. Some are still with us, but sadly, some are not for the reasons I state above.

I will leave you with a comment from that business guru ,Sir Alan Sugar, who, many years ago, realised that he needed to get closer to his market and admitted that his biggest mistake was "not giving the punters what they want".

Archived