Tour bookers

ITMan

Hi there,

I have just read in a post on here of an option to use a tour booking company (Rather than cruise company or going direct to each vendor), in particular they suggested Shoretrips.com.

Looking at shoretrips it does seem a good way of using a single point of contact for organising things.

Any advantages/dissadvantages to this approach?

Any other suppliers of this type other than Shoretrips?

Anyone have expereince of Shoretrips (or others?)

Thanks

It might be easier but I would assume that adding any intermediary would be likely to increase the cost as that booking company is going to want their % just like the cruise line. I would check the prices carefully.

I consider them more brokers than bookers.

If you can book directly with the tour provider providing the tour, I think that is usually better. Sometimes the broker might offer a slightly better price - perhaps they are splitting their commissions with you.

Brokers usually require a deposit up front. If, for any reason, the tour is canceled or the ship is unable to get to a port or is late getting there, you will have to deal with the broker to try to get your deposit back.

If you go with a ship tour, they will automatically credit your purchase and if you deal with the tour provider, they often require no deposit.

There are a number of companies that do the same thing as shoretrips. If I were going to deal with one, I think I might pick one that is located in Alaska.

It might be easier but I would assume that adding any intermediary would be likely to increase the cost as that booking company is going to want their % just like the cruise line. I would check the prices carefully.

Actually many vendors pay the brokers/booking agents commissions so the cost to you is the same, or sometimes less as the previous poster mentioned. The question is more whether you want to deal with an intermediary or not.

I look at the cost and what is included. Sometimes the tour offered by the independent operator is different from that offered by the ship. For example in Skagway I am using Chilkoot Tours for the White Pass train ride because the 3 hour ride they offer is different from what our ship offers. Our ship offers roundtrip train whereas Chilkoot offers train one way and motorcoach the other direction, thereby different scenery. The price is almost the same.

The advantage to booking through the cruise ship is that if the tour is late coming back because of a problem, the ship will wait since it's a tour sponsored by the ship.

Sorry, I never recommend any booking agents, who's "recommendations" are only who they contract with for commissions- an order taker. In Alaska, I only book direct with vendors. NO miscommunications, reservations accurate, details direct. And the ability to establish a direct relationship.

Try asking Shoretrips a general Alaska question, and see what you get??? Won't even be able to give you directions without reading a card.

No blanket statement works for ShoreTrips or the other big names in that field. Sometimes they price lower than the operator, sometimes the same and sometimes substantially higher. It all depends on the contract they have with a particular operator. While handy, every layer you add is an addition to possible complications. I very seldom book through the ship, I even more seldom book through brokers - in both cases, only when a particular excursion is either wholly ship-booked or the operator doesn't have a Web site.

Well, that doesn't apply to Adventure Bound in Juneau. I booked direct, lost reservations at least twice :D

And they found them I assume??? You went on the tour?? Didn't loose your money?? Happy with what they offered??

Thank you all for your input, there are several points, all very useful.

Just as a quick response, one of the things I thought about with shoretrips (other firms do exist :) ) was that they are clear they they will manage a full refund if the supplier is unable to operate, AND if the ship is late or fails to visit the port. Much easier to use one supplier with a written guarantee (I am not saying they will necessarily honour it - but I have no reason to suggest they wont), rather than several suppliers.

In preference I WOULD book through the cruiseline - I know I pay a premium, but as has been pointed out, if there are delays on the tour they will wait for a ships tour but not a private one! Also on some of the key tours we want they are high end, so - so far as I can see, at the moment, the price differential is not that great. However, if the cruisline booking doesn't open for another 3 months (For August sailing) I would rather get my direct bookings in now to ensure we get on the tours.

I havent done anything yet, just trying to see the options... and to see if there are any negatives or bad expereinces, so far none have really come to light.

By the way BQ - thanks for the thought on using Alaska based company, however if I am just using the agent to book local tours I have researched separately, realistically the real concern is their finacial stability!

Thanks to all

Just as a quick response, one of the things I thought about with shoretrips (other firms do exist :) ) was that they are clear they they will manage a full refund if the supplier is unable to operate, AND if the ship is late or fails to visit the port. Much easier to use one supplier with a written guarantee (I am not saying they will necessarily honour it - but I have no reason to suggest they wont), rather than several suppliers.

I also think shoretrips will refund your money, however, you will need to contact them and provide whatever documentation they require and/or wait for them to verify. The will have no clue as to whether or not a particular tour operated and/or a particular ship was in port.

In preference I WOULD book through the cruiseline - I know I pay a premium, but as has been pointed out, if there are delays on the tour they will wait for a ships tour but not a private one! Also on some of the key tours we want they are high end, so - so far as I can see, at the moment, the price differential is not that great. However, if the cruisline booking doesn't open for another 3 months (For August sailing) I would rather get my direct bookings in now to ensure we get on the tours.

I havent done anything yet, just trying to see the options... and to see if there are any negatives or bad expereinces, so far none have really come to light.

By the way BQ - thanks for the thought on using Alaska based company, however if I am just using the agent to book local tours I have researched separately, realistically the real concern is their finacial stability!

Thanks to all

Sorry, your claim that the cruise brokers will "refund" your money for delays, "unable to operate"- what ever that means??, is not a valid reason to not book direct. I know of no Alaska vendor, who I have used, which is many, who don't do the EXACT same thing. I have never heard of any vendor, who held on to someone's money and wouldn't refund for your listed reasons??

With your preference to use ship excursions, by all means do so. It works out the best for you, and the only important thing- is to get on the tour. :)

Archived