Avalon Nile cruise

NC&KY

Has anyone taken the cruise on Avalon's Royal Lutus down the Nile? If so, I'd like to know how it compares to Celebrity or Regent cruises in terms of comfort, food, and overall quality. I don't care about entertainment or children's programs. This would be a late fall/early winter cruise for my wife and me.

• 2 weeks later...

My wife and I are just beginning to study river cruises in Europe so I am looking for the do's and don't's of that form of travel. We like to travel in the early to late fall. Happy to receive whatever info that would be helpful.

magsdad25

• 5 weeks later...

[Jquote=NC&KY;22616439]Has anyone taken the cruise on Avalon's Royal Lutus down the Nile? If so, I'd like to know how it compares to Celebrity or Regent cruises in terms of comfort, food, and overall quality. I don't care about entertainment or children's programs. This would be a late fall/early winter cruise for my wife and me.

Just returned from the Royal Lotus=== BEWARE== mosly everyone got sick- terrible food- ship looks OK but after 2 days one by one everyone gets sick - recyclyed food- dubious salads- who knows. tours great BUT!!!!

We went with Uniworld on the Giselle. They now have a wonderful new ship the Tosca. Do a search on river and canal board--you will find a lot about Egypt and the various companies. "Mummy tummy" is a common occurance in Egypt. Just pack imodium. One woman took pepto every day and never had it. Just drink bottled water, even brush your teeth with it. The other thing our guide told us was to make sure our eggs were cooked thru. It is a marvelous trip!!!!! Pat

• 2 months later...
[Jquote=NC&KY;22616439]Has anyone taken the cruise on Avalon's Royal Lutus down the Nile? If so, I'd like to know how it compares to Celebrity or Regent cruises in terms of comfort, food, and overall quality. I don't care about entertainment or children's programs. This would be a late fall/early winter cruise for my wife and me.

Cruised on the Royal Lotus October 2008. It was a trip I had looked forward too for years and I was not disappointed. Unbelievable to see all we saw in a short period of time. If at all possible, don't miss Abu Simbel even though it is extra. Seeing it from the air is incredible then you see it up close.

There was some illness in our group of 21. Three-4 of us after the Egyptian dinner. The fritters in honey was the culprit in my opinion - probably the honey. I felt it within 10 minutes of eating two of them. The next morning I missed the AM tour. The Major Domo had the bartender bring me Turkish coffee with a slice of lime (really strong) and some dry toast. I was sooooo much better in 30 minutes. I had Imodium, Cipro and Pepto and took all three as soon as I felt sick. The coffee really worked. We were putting lime in everything after that. (DH who has intestinal disorder was on Cipro for entire trip on doctor's recommendation. He did not have the fritters and was never sick. So maybe Pepto every day would do the trick.)

Archived