Afternoon in London???

I will be arriving on June 17-20. Haven't decided on a hotel yet. Don't know if I should purchase a London Pass for 2 days with travel or not. Most of the sights I want to see are on the pass and the idea of not having to wait in line or figure how much a ticket is for travel is quite appealing. We arrive on 6/17 and I thought about taking a walking tour in the evening. I would use the London Pass for 6/18 and 6/19. On 6/20 I plan to head to Dover and spend the day/night before beginning cruise the next day.

Do you still suggest taking a HOHO bus? There are so many options. I just want to get the most out of my visit and try to be as economical as possible.

Thank you for your help and suggestions; they are most appreciated.

To the OP: where did you see that you can get the London Pass for 10% off? All I find is free shipping till the end of January.

With two full days in London, you CAN see a lot. I would recommend the HoHo bus as it will take you to all the sights that you might want to see. You can get on and off at whichever appeals to you.

When we were in London, pre cruise (one day), we bought the one day Travel Card at the Rail station, which enabled us to use it for many of the 2/1 deals. With that card,and the vouchers we printed out, we were able to do the tower of London 2/1, Tower bridge Experience 2/1, globe theater tour 2/1, and then we were able to do a City cruise from the London eye back to Tower Bridge 2/1. It was truly a great deal.

I was trying to put a few pix here for you to get an idea of what's doing around town. I screwed it up, so I'll try again here

A few pix

Tower of London (this was taken ON the HO HO bus)

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europept2127.jpg

Beefeater Tour in the 'Tower of London

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe024.jpg

The London Eye

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europept2123.jpg

The Statue of Eros in Piccadilly Circus at dusk

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europept2144.jpg

The Queens Horse Guards

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europept2327.jpg

Tower Bridge at night (taken from the city cruise tour boat)

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe151.jpg

London is a fantastic city, you can never see it all in a week, let alone two days, but you can get a feel of it, and hopefully return one day.

Len

We would like to see as much as possible in 2 full days. I don't know if I'm too ambitious in trying to see so much, but I'd like to see most of the top 10 with the exception of a couple. I know Windsor Castle is farther away and will take more time. I guess with a pass, you tend to try and see as much as possible since the pass covers all the admission/travel. I'd estimate the attractions I want to see would be about 100 pounds.

I appreciate everyone's input so I can make a decision if this is really feasible or if there is another more economical way to do this.

Giantfan13, if you add up what you spent for the one day, did you spend 35 pounds (one day pass with no travel is 39 pounds less 10%)? With the HOHO bus, you have to wait for it and plan your itinerary to go in the direction of the bus. Can I find information on the Travel Card online?

With travel added to the London Pass, I can come and go whenever I'm ready to leave.

I don't want to spend more money than I need to, and I don't know if I can realistically see everything I want without rushing, but the pass sounded like a good way to cover a lot of places I wouldn't normally see.

I'm looking at hotels near the majority of sights to eliminate taxis or time getting to these places via bus, tube, etc.

Keep your ideas and thoughts coming!

BTW, how much do breakfasts run? I'm pricing rooms with and with breakfasts and finding out that it is expensive.

Thank you for posting the pictures! Lovely! Makes me excited for the trip. I thought about spending the 4th day in London, but I tend to get nervous/anxious and decided to head to Dover a day early and see the sights there (Dover Castle) and relax.

Can I find information on the Travel Card online?

With travel added to the London Pass, I can come and go whenever I'm ready to leave.

BTW, how much do breakfasts run? I'm pricing rooms with and with breakfasts and finding out that it is expensive.

There is a link to the Travel Card and Oyster called London Toolkit that for some reason I cannot copy into this post. Google it and look for the page that describes the difference between an Oyster Card and a Travel Card.

If you try and see everything, you will likely see nothing. I would take the HoHo for a full loop and then go back and see those things that really interest you.

Hotel Breakfast is very expensive but also very large. "Full English Breakfast" really means it. There are plenty of fast food, bakeries and otherl less expensive places for a light breakfast if that is all you need.

Cheers

Check out http://www.londontravelpass.com and http://www.raileurope.com for the Travel Card.

In 2009, I bought the London Pass with Travel Card. We only used the London Pass a couple of times and used the Travel Card more. We used the London Pass for the Tower of London. We went to an entrance (around the corner from the main entrance) and just walked in without the long wait to buy the tickets. Just for than it was worth the price other that I don't think we got our monies worth.

Tlhis year, I just bought the Travel Card and will pay for the entrance for the places we want to see. You show the bus driver the card. You get a dated card for each day that you buy.

I bought the HOHO tickets online and saved $. Since the tickets are good for 24 hours period, we did 2 routes the first day and the second day we took the HOHO to the Tower of London and then finished the route after.

We would like to see as much as possible in 2 full days. I don't know if I'm too ambitious in trying to see so much, but I'd like to see most of the top 10 with the exception of a couple. I know Windsor Castle is farther away and will take more time. I guess with a pass, you tend to try and see as much as possible since the pass covers all the admission/travel. I'd estimate the attractions I want to see would be about 100 pounds.

I appreciate everyone's input so I can make a decision if this is really feasible or if there is another more economical way to do this.

Giantfan13, if you add up what you spent for the one day, did you spend 35 pounds (one day pass with no travel is 39 pounds less 10%)? With the HOHO bus, you have to wait for it and plan your itinerary to go in the direction of the bus. Can I find information on the Travel Card online?

I don't want to spend more money than I need to, and I don't know if I can realistically see everything I want without rushing, but the pass sounded like a good way to cover a lot of places I wouldn't normally see.

I'm looking at hotels near the majority of sights to eliminate taxis or time getting to these places via bus, tube, etc.

Keep your ideas and thoughts coming!

Thank you for posting the pictures! Lovely! Makes me excited for the trip. I thought about spending the 4th day in London, but I tend to get nervous/anxious and decided to head to Dover a day early and see the sights there (Dover Castle) and relax.

Now you asked me a hard question. With the Travel card/rail you get 2fers at many places. If I can jog my memory, what we used it for was

Tower of London--About 19 pounds each

Tower Bridge Experience- maybe 10 pounds each

Globe theater tour-I have no idea now

Cruise---------About 10 pounds ???

I'm just guessing about these, but it is probably in the ball park.

There are many other offers, but those are the ones we chose to do, and it was a very long day.

From the suggestion before, I would agree, Do a loop of the HoHo bus,and either go back to what you really want to explore, or move on to something else. I don't remember when you said you are going,but you must remember, that there are lines for most things, especially if you want to go up in the Eye. If you are interested in just 'seeing things,and getting a feel of them, you might be able to do a lot in a couple of days, but if you want to go into to places and know what they are about, you simply will not have time. The Tower of London is huge and just waiting to see the Crown jewels, the line is about 1/2 long. You can take one of the FREE Beefeater tours, but they also take their time, but it is extremely interesting and you really get the feel of the place.

Whatever you decide, take it easy and enjoy what you do see, and do NOT fret if you miss something.

FYI You can spend that extra day in London. The only real thing to see in Dover is the Castle, and even that is not tremendous. You can easily get an early train, bus cab out of London the morning of your tour, and make it easily to Dover to be the first few on board. If you really want to see the castle, you can board the ship and then leave for a tour of the castle and be back before the time you need to be on board.

If you do your calculations you'll find few people can make the London Pass work financially for them. A lot of people buy them so they don't have to queue for tickets, not for cash savings.

If you're looking for value, your best option is to buy a Travelcard from a mainline railway station which give you unlimited travel on Underground and Buses. These cost 5.60 GBP per day, (7.20 GBP if you travel before 09:30 Monday too Friday). By purchasing them at a railway station (not Underground) you qualify for 2 for 1 entry to places like the Tower of London.

2 For 1 Promotion

If you're on a budget don't consider taxi's. Tube is normally the fastest way around town.

Your biggest return on research is going to be savings on your hotel, you won't get good value looking for a 'downtown' hotel. 'Downtown' doesn't really exist in London, everything is spread out and you use public transport. As a generality only people on expense accounts, wealthy and unaware first time American visitors stay in the leicester Square / West End area.

Look at hotels in places like Kensington, Bayswater, Kings Cross and at weekends the Tower Bridge, Southwark, County Hall area.

Priceline bidding on a 4 star hotel is a good punt as with the excellent public transport it dosen't really matter which hotel you're allocated.

Hilton currently have a sale on where places like the Hilton Hyde Park are going around 75 GBP.

Breakfasts in 4 star hotels in London are mega expensive if you pay on the day. There is always somewhere outside nearby where you can pick up a breakfast at well under half the price. It sounds as if you may be researching 4 star chain hotels, the kind of place you find on Expedia.

Unless you want room service, health club and such like switch your search to include budget no frills places including breakfasts. Express Holiday inn in Swiss Cottage currently have rooms for a little over $100 that includes breakfast for occupants.

Budget chains like Premier Inn and Ibis have reasonably priced breakfasts compared with 4 star chains.

The Darlington Hyde Park, Paddington and the Luna & Simone B&B in Victoria cost around $150 with breakfasts included and are probably the best 2 B&B's in Central London and get much better feedback than any of the 4 star chains.

Thank you everyone for your suggestions, especially the links! Saves me time looking for them.

I'll continue to do my research/homework. You've provided me with so much information to digest. This board is great and you folks are so helpful! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

I must add also to the last couple of comments. Between handfordr and Globaliser, and many others, I cannot tell you how much easier my trip was made. Sometimes I thought they would come over here and bop my on the head for all the questions I threw at them, but their answers were always right on. The info I got from them, and many others, just was invaluable, and was so much better than one can get from any book. When I returned, I did thank them publicly, and I will always be grateful for their time and patience with some pretty silly questions.

that is one of the reasons why I come back here so often, to try and also help some of the new people who will be asking the same questions. There is nothing more valuable than first hand knowledge.

I can understand how helpful cc can be, but then I begin to feel anxious too afraid to make the wrong choice. I have not booked my hotel, nor am I sure if I want to book this on my own or just book it through Celebrity where the hotel and transfers are included. I really like Rubens at the Palace because Buckingham Palace is right there. If I chose this one, I will need to book my own transfers (airport to hotel, hotel to Southampton) I also only have one day. Any suggestions on Celebrity pre cruise vs my own?

Dorene

Dorene,

I can't speak to Celebrity's pre-cruise options, but I believe if you don't want to worry about anything (transfers, hotel, etc.) then, go with the ship's arrangements. You can usually find something cheaper if you are willing to do the work yourself. If you are a single traveler, have a disability, senior with mobility problems, traveling with children, etc. you may feel more comfortable going with the ship. It depends on your circumstances.

I was also looking at The Ruben because a friend stayed there and recommended it. The location is across the street from The Royal Mews and very near Victoria Station. It is also walking distance to many places and centrally located. They can also make private car arrangements for you. With it's close proximity to the station, you could walk to the hotel. If you have too much luggage to handle comfortably, there are private cars you can hire. Many have made suggestions on this board and these services will provide door to door service. If you decide to take the Heathrow Express, bus or tube, be sure to find out where it leaves you and if you need to transfer or take a cab. I'm thinking about luggage here and any confusion with transportation in a new location. At least London is an English speaking city so directions won't be a problem.

Whatever you decide, you must do what you feel most comfortable with.

This forum has a wealth of knowledge that can help you make an informed decision.

Patty

I can understand how helpful cc can be, but then I begin to feel anxious too afraid to make the wrong choice. I have not booked my hotel, nor am I sure if I want to book this on my own or just book it through Celebrity where the hotel and transfers are included. I really like Rubens at the Palace because Buckingham Palace is right there. If I chose this one, I will need to book my own transfers (airport to hotel, hotel to Southampton) I also only have one day. Any suggestions on Celebrity pre cruise vs my own?

Dorene

I agree with paws10. the Rubens is very close to Victoria Station for transportation but if you are nervous about making your own arrangements, just go with the Cruise line.

London is easy to get around via Bus or Tube but since you are concerned, remove the stress by letting the Cruise Line take care of everything. If you have some free time in London when they make the arrangements, take the HOHO bus (both lines make Victoria Station a stopping point if you do book The Rubens IIRC) for a look around and then visit the things that interest you.

Cheers

Dorene

We stayed at the Rubens at the Palace July 2009 post cruise. This would be reverse for you. We took a taxi from Princess terminal in Southampton to National Express Coach station (bus) Southampton (about 5-7 GBP). I booked tickets online http://www.nationalexpress.com a couple of months ahead and got 5 GBP funfare tickets. Keep checking National Express and you may get the funfare prices.The London stop is London central. Bus took a couple of hours (went fast) was comfortable with bathroom on board. It stopped a couple of times including at Heathrow to get more passengers. We exited the coach station and walked with 28" and tote bag each to Rubens. We used http://www.justairports.com (private car service) to take us from Rubens to Heathrow. He was on time and cost 28 GBP (cost per car) and took about a hour to the airport.

We liked the area around the Rubens so this year we will be staying at Thistle Westminster Hotel which is across the street from the Rubens. Booked through http://www.bhrc.co.uk (cheaper than going through hotel). We will be using http://www.justairports.com again to take us from Heathrow to Thistle Westminster cost 30-34 GBP depending on size of car. It is slightly more from airport as they have to park car and come into airport. We will be walking to National Express Coach station to get bus to Dover this year.

Buckingham Palace and Royal Mews is directly across from Rubens. There are 2 Hop On/Off (HOHO) bus companies in the area, pubs, restaurants, stores, grocery store, and regular bus all within walking distance. We took the HOHO and did all 3 routes.

When you book hotel reservations through the cruiseline, they charge PER PERSON for the hotel.

YES, there are lots and lots of great options in London. Not a boring or "one-trick-pony" when it comes to a place to visit or as you are considering your options. It is a large city and we had a three-day pass there. Their underground is great and can be quicker than doing the above-ground buses that can be slowed battling the traffic and congestion. There are trade-offs! You can see more on the buses, but the underground can get you there quicker. Below are some added visual options and potential places to visit and enjoy in London.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

At the Victoria & Albert Museum in London they have spectacular rooms, architecture and art works:

LondVAMus.jpg

Harrods has unqiue interior displays and designs:

LondHarrInterior.jpg

London’s theater offerings are great:

LondVictThea.jpg

Carnaby Street and its youthful activities:

CarnabySt.jpg

Outside entrance to Churchill Museum and underground World War II command headquarters:

ChurchillMus.jpg

Cute London cabs on the streets:

LondonCabs.jpg

Dorene

Dorene

I went back over this thread and didn't see any info on you or your trip, so we don't know how you are traveling, with whom and how you feel about spending big bucks. If the latter is no big deal then forget all I will say, and just do the cruise line transfers. they are the safest way, but really way out of line for price, and I do mean WAY OUT OF LINE.

As was mentioned here, it is very easy to book a hotel in a good area of London for a decent price. remember you simply do NOT have to be within walking distance to certain things. The Tubes are maybe the best in the world, almost impossible to get lost, and maybe the quickest way around town. Again, while your hotel may be in walking distance of certain things, then it may put you further away from other things. You need to get on the tube to get around, so save yourself some money and book a decent hotel anywhere in London, just make sure it is around any Tube Station.

transportation to your cruise terminal is another thing that is really no big deal. You can take the bus, the train, or any of several car services that will get you there in plenty of time, and cost you much less than any cruise transfer. You don't know me from a hole in the wall, but I'm pretty anal when it comes to these things. I need to have all my tee's crossed and all my i's dotted for everything. But you are fretting for nothing. All transportation in and out of London is great. You have plenty of time to do what you want to do, so forget the fretting and start enjoying.

However you do things, you will have a wonderful time, we are just trying to reassure you and maybe save you some money along the way.

anyway, enjoy your trip and whatever you decide, it will be the right choice for you, so don't worry about it. it all works out in the end.

Len

Dorene: As was mentioned here, it is very easy to book a hotel in a good area of London for a decent price. remember you simply do NOT have to be within walking distance to certain things. The Tubes are maybe the best in the world, almost impossible to get lost, and maybe the quickest way around town. Again, while your hotel may be in walking distance of certain things, then it may put you further away from other things. You need to get on the tube to get around, so save yourself some money and book a decent hotel anywhere in London, just make sure it is around any Tube Station. Len

Agree strongly with Len that the Underground in London is super great. London is big city, even in the main/central area, and there is not one "perfect location". It depends on what you want to see and do. The key attractions are spread out. Below is a visual example at one rail station, plus other ideas for what to do in London.

London’s underground has a wide range of stations and frequent service. Here’s an example at Notting Hill Gate and its rail platform

LondUnderground.jpg

There are a number of key rail stations, all tied in with the Underground/Tube lines. Here is Victoria Station:

LondVicStation.jpg

London’s Eye is a unique symbol along the river that allow great views around the town of its landmarks:

LondEyeRiver.jpg

From the London Eye, here is a view of Westminster Abbey, Ben Ben and Parliament:

LondParWeAby.jpg

At the National Gallery on Trafalgar Square, they have spectacular rooms, architecture and art works. Admission is free!:

LondNatGallery.jpg

Inside of one of London’s smaller art museums, here is the Courtauld Gallery with its early Renaissance to 20th century collections. It is noted for Impressionist and Post-Impressionist paintings:

LondArtMusInt.jpg

...all of this wonderful info on London and we are also looking for a day trip from Heathrow while we layover before heading to Barcelona. We will have from 10a-4p at the airport and wondered if it was too unreasonable to take the train into London for a few hours before heading back to the airport for our flight to Spain. If not, can someone suggest a closer option to the airport for a trip to see a bit of the country during our time on the ground. Thanks

...all of this wonderful info on London and we are also looking for a day trip from Heathrow while we layover before heading to Barcelona. We will have from 10a-4p at the airport and wondered if it was too unreasonable to take the train into London for a few hours before heading back to the airport for our flight to Spain. If not, can someone suggest a closer option to the airport for a trip to see a bit of the country during our time on the ground. Thanks

Hi, Joanne! Do you have a full, net six hours from 10 am to 4 pm to see something extra . . . OR . . . does your incoming flight, maybe, arrive at 10 am and then you have use all of the time to get off of the plane, move through the terminal, etc.? When does your flight depart, 4 pm or 6-7 pm? If you flight departs at 4 pm, then you will need to be back at the airport and inside your terminal at 2 pm or maybe earlier. Going into London is probably going to be too much. Maybe, you could do something nearby at Windsor Castle that is just a short cab ride away. Tell us more details and specifics.

Can someone suggest a closer option to the airport for a trip to see a bit of the country during our time on the ground. Thanks

There are public buses from Terminal 5 at Heathrow to Windsor Castle that take about 40 minutes and run about every 15/20 minutes.

A cab wll take about half that time and should cost about 20 GBP each way - you should prebook this with a local Windsor company rather than use the London black cabs on the terminal rank.

The (expensive) Heathrow Express train into Paddington only takes 15 minutes and runs every 15 minutes, then it'll be another 15/20 minutes to somewhere of your choice. But overall it'll take no more time than visiting Windsor.

If you buy the travel card is it also good for the Double decker tours buses?

Afraid not, the HOHO buses are between 15 and 25 GBP per day - they're not going to give that away for about the 5 or 6 GBP per day of the Travelcard.

The Travelcard also doesn't include transport to the main airports, except the London Underground to Heathrow and City Airports

You can go online and order your vouchers for the HOHO bus http://www.theoriginaltour.com or http://www.bigbustours.com and save some money. Both go to the same places and include a river cruise. They are good for a 24 hour period.

We were in London roughly 2 1/2 days also and stayed in the Victoria area. On our full first day, we were one of the first on the bus ( both have stops in the area). We did 2 of their routes with stops. Next day, again first on the bus, took the bus to Tower of London, and then did the 3 route.

We walked to the London Eye - long walk but enjoyable. HOHO has a stop for the London Eye. I bought online Fast Pass tickets - you pick time and get a guide booklet what you are seeing- and saved money, again. We got to the London Eye before it opened and there was a huge line. We went to the Pick Up booth to hand in our vouchers and asked if we could go early as I had picked 11am time. We were one of the first on. Would really recommend it.

We are also, this year, arriving at 12 from Canada. I plan on at least 1 hour to get off plane, get luggage, immigration. We are using http://www.justairports.com (private car service) to take us to our hotel about 30-34 GBP depending on size of the car. After a long flight, we don't want the hassle of getting to the hotel with luggage. The car ride is about 45- 1 hour from the airport to Victoria area. You will be

getting to Victoria area mid afternoon. You can walk around the area to see Buckingham Palace, the Royal Mews, another attractions along the same area - we went to it and cann't remember the name (Royal Gallery?).

We bought online the London Pass with Travel Pass. We only used the London Pass a couple of times, we felt we didn't get our monies worth. It did save us time for the Tower of London.

In the Victoria area, there are the HOHO bus, regular bus, stores, pubs, restaurants, hotels, B&B, grocery store, National Express Coach and Rail stations.

This year, we are only buying the Travel Pass and will pay for the attractions, we want to see.

Archived