Afternoon in London???

Thanks for the info, I really didn't think we'd have enough time during our layover for a trip into London and the alternative Windsor Castle sounds great. We actually have from 10:45 to 4:45 in the airport, so a local visit will be perfect for us. It is a shame that we can't figure out how to stay overnight in London instead of Barcelona, since we will be adding a night in BCN after we get off the ship. I am a little leary of trying the whole separate inter-europe flight (USA-London/London to BCN return BCN-London-USA). I guess I need to think outside the box and do a little more research.

You can go online and order your vouchers for the HOHO bus http://www.theoriginaltour.com or http://www.bigbustours.com and save some money. Both go to the same places and include a river cruise. They are good for a 24 hour period.

We were in London roughly 2 1/2 days also and stayed in the Victoria area. On our full first day, we were one of the first on the bus ( both have stops in the area). We did 2 of their routes with stops. Next day, again first on the bus, took the bus to Tower of London, and then did the 3 route.

We walked to the London Eye - long walk but enjoyable. HOHO has a stop for the London Eye. I bought online Fast Pass tickets - you pick time and get a guide booklet what you are seeing- and saved money, again. We got to the London Eye before it opened and there was a huge line. We went to the Pick Up booth to hand in our vouchers and asked if we could go early as I had picked 11am time. We were one of the first on. Would really recommend it.

We are also, this year, arriving at 12 from Canada. I plan on at least 1 hour to get off plane, get luggage, immigration. We are using http://www.justairports.com (private car service) to take us to our hotel about 30-34 GBP depending on size of the car. After a long flight, we don't want the hassle of getting to the hotel with luggage. The car ride is about 45- 1 hour from the airport to Victoria area. You will be

getting to Victoria area mid afternoon. You can walk around the area to see Buckingham Palace, the Royal Mews, another attractions along the same area - we went to it and cann't remember the name (Royal Gallery?).

We bought online the London Pass with Travel Pass. We only used the London Pass a couple of times, we felt we didn't get our monies worth. It did save us time for the Tower of London.

In the Victoria area, there are the HOHO bus, regular bus, stores, pubs, restaurants, hotels, B&B, grocery store, National Express Coach and Rail stations.

This year, we are only buying the Travel Pass and will pay for the attractions, we want to see.

did you consider the Rail travel Card??> same as the regular Travel Card, only you buy it at one of the rail stations and that will enable you to use any of the many 2/1 vochers.

You can check the current rate of currency online. When I was in London in July 2007, I didn't realize how deflated our U.S. dollar was and, fortunately, didn't have to pay for a hotel because I was staying with friends who live south of London. There are currency exchanges on the streets in London.

You can check the current rate of currency online. When I was in London in July 2007, I didn't realize how deflated our U.S. dollar was and, fortunately, didn't have to pay for a hotel because I was staying with friends who live south of London. There are currency exchanges on the streets in London.

For our Ohio neighbor from Cleveland, here is the most recent dollar versus pound comparison. Per today's Wall Street Journal, an English pound costs $1.6125. A euro cost $1.4132. In late July 2008 when we visited England and sailed from Dover to the Baltics, a pound cost $1.98 and a euro cost $1.58. It's not great now, but it's been much worse.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

• 1 month later...
Dorene

I went back over this thread and didn't see any info on you or your trip, so we don't know how you are traveling, with whom and how you feel about spending big bucks. If the latter is no big deal then forget all I will say, and just do the cruise line transfers. they are the safest way, but really way out of line for price, and I do mean WAY OUT OF LINE.

As was mentioned here, it is very easy to book a hotel in a good area of London for a decent price. remember you simply do NOT have to be within walking distance to certain things. The Tubes are maybe the best in the world, almost impossible to get lost, and maybe the quickest way around town. Again, while your hotel may be in walking distance of certain things, then it may put you further away from other things. You need to get on the tube to get around, so save yourself some money and book a decent hotel anywhere in London, just make sure it is around any Tube Station.

transportation to your cruise terminal is another thing that is really no big deal. You can take the bus, the train, or any of several car services that will get you there in plenty of time, and cost you much less than any cruise transfer. You don't know me from a hole in the wall, but I'm pretty anal when it comes to these things. I need to have all my tee's crossed and all my i's dotted for everything. But you are fretting for nothing. All transportation in and out of London is great. You have plenty of time to do what you want to do, so forget the fretting and start enjoying.

However you do things, you will have a wonderful time, we are just trying to reassure you and maybe save you some money along the way.

anyway, enjoy your trip and whatever you decide, it will be the right choice for you, so don't worry about it. it all works out in the end.

Len

Len

Thank You, Paul and I decided to book the hotel and transfers through Celebrity. Paul and I also bring medical equipment and with our luggage it just seemed easier. We are staying at the Tower of Guoman and transfer to the ship. I am very happy about this thread it helped us pick some interesting places to see close by. ........Now, how is the Weather in early November.........LOL.......thanks

Dorene

I'd just like to add that, for anyone looking around the tower of London area, an excellent alternative to the tower is The Tower Bridge experience. you get the history of the bridge and get to go right up to the top and get an excellent view of London and especially the Tower of London.. Its also way cheaper.

head south of the river (opposite side to the tower) and turn towards the HMS Belfast and London bridge and just walk along there. you'll be diverted away from the river to get under London bridge but after that its just gets etter. Bermonsey market is fantastic (especially in the mornigns with all the food stalls), Southwark cathedral, Clink (interesting to see but I'm not sure I'd go in - same for the london dungeon) , the Globe and right along to the London eye. Plenty to see and do, some good pubs, good food stops , great views of london and plenty to keep you occupied.

After you've passed the London eye then cross the bridge to Big ben and the houses of Parliment. slightly ahead and to the right is the road that leads to the Churchill war rooms (well worth a visit - I only spent 3 hours there last October and could have spent more). Then you are right next to the horse guards parade as well.

Its an easy city to get around and the walk I described is one of the easiest of all.

have fun.

Bermonsey market is fantastic (especially in the mornigns with all the food stalls)
Just to clarify: This is Borough market, next to Southwark Cathedral. It's open as a retail market only at the following times:-

Thursdays: 11 am - 5 pm

Fridays: 12 noon - 6 pm

Saturdays: 8 am - 5 pm

It also operates as a wholesale market six nights a week, between 2am and 8 am.

Just to clarify: This is Borough market, next to Southwark Cathedral. It's open as a retail market only at the following times:-

Thursdays: 11 am - 5 pm

Fridays: 12 noon - 6 pm

Saturdays: 8 am - 5 pm

It also operates as a wholesale market six nights a week, between 2am and 8 am.

You are quite right – its is borough market. No idea why I called it Bermondsey market – isn’t that the antiques one at the end of Bermondsey street. Not sure I’d recommend that one to visitors!

However Borough market can still be visited at all hours – although it is primarily wholesale in the morning it is fascinating to visit and there are plenty of options for buying breakfast or lunch there. And you pretty much have to walk through it if you are walking along that bit of the south bank.

Another fun option around there is vinopolis – a wine importer. They not only have a restaurant and wine bar but they do wine tastings as well. Its been years since I did it so I can’t comment on the cost but you can book it in advance and spend a few very pleasant hours learning about wine and trying different ones – as well as whiskey and even absinthe!

Len

Thank You, Paul and I decided to book the hotel and transfers through Celebrity. Paul and I also bring medical equipment and with our luggage it just seemed easier. We are staying at the Tower of Guoman and transfer to the ship. I am very happy about this thread it helped us pick some interesting places to see close by. ........Now, how is the Weather in early November.........LOL.......thanks

Dorene

Dorene

Glad I was able to be of some help. I'm sure you made the ritght choice for you, so now sit back and get ready.

Again, any other questions, this board is just a wealth of knowledge.

Cheers

Len

I'd just like to add that, for anyone looking around the tower of London area, an excellent alternative to the tower is The Tower Bridge experience. you get the history of the bridge and get to go right up to the top and get an excellent view of London and especially the Tower of London.. Its also way cheaper.

head south of the river (opposite side to the tower) and turn towards the HMS Belfast and London bridge and just walk along there. you'll be diverted away from the river to get under London bridge but after that its just gets etter. Bermonsey market is fantastic (especially in the mornigns with all the food stalls), Southwark cathedral, Clink (interesting to see but I'm not sure I'd go in - same for the london dungeon) , the Globe and right along to the London eye. Plenty to see and do, some good pubs, good food stops , great views of london and plenty to keep you occupied.

After you've passed the London eye then cross the bridge to Big ben and the houses of Parliment. slightly ahead and to the right is the road that leads to the Churchill war rooms (well worth a visit - I only spent 3 hours there last October and could have spent more). Then you are right next to the horse guards parade as well.

Its an easy city to get around and the walk I described is one of the easiest of all.

have fun.

This almost the exact route we did. Yes, the Tower Bridge Experience was great. (Except for the part where they stand you against a blue wall, take your picture, and viola, there you are with the Tower Bridge). We added a walk over the 'swinging' Millennium Bridge and a visit to St Paul's also.

We used the 2/1 rail travel card to get 1/2 off for this 'experience'. We also did the Globe Theater tour and a cruise back from the Eye, back to where our hotel was, by the Tower of London all for the 2 fers.

It was a long, day, but we enjoyed it immensily

Cheers

Len

However Borough market can still be visited at all hours – although it is primarily wholesale in the morning it is fascinating to visit and there are plenty of options for buying breakfast or lunch there. And you pretty much have to walk through it if you are walking along that bit of the south bank.
Yes, there are certainly some decent food places around the market - and at least one good restaurant inside the market - that are not restricted to those times.

We are also staying at the Tower Gouman, arriving at LHR on a Monday at 12:00 -- in August 2010. At this point, we plan to spend that first afternoon visiting the Tower of London, which is witin walking distance from the hotel. That evening, we plan to head over to the London Bridge area and do a walk out of the Rick Steves book, and perhaps dinner at the Anchor Tap pub, which has been around for 800 yrs.

Question for you (and others).... any idea what transfer arrangements RCCL has from the Tower Gouman to Harwich? Specifically, what time are u picked up at hotel and what is mode of transport?

• 1 month later...

....we are now landing at Heathrow at 6:35am and departing for Barcelona at 6:20pm. It seems like we may now have time to get into London for a fast look at things. Nothing specific in mind, perhaps HOHO for a bit. Any help appreciated...thanks.

At this point, we plan to spend that first afternoon visiting the Tower of London, which is witin walking distance from the hotel. That evening, we plan to head over to the London Bridge area and do a walk out of the Rick Steves book, and perhaps dinner at the Anchor Tap pub, which has been around for 800 yrs.

London Walks http://www.walks.com does a pretty good tour of the Tower. Don't know if it is scheduled on the day your are there. But if you like walks, try one or two of theirs. They also do Pub walks.

Cheers

• 3 months later...

It was nice to review this, October is not too far off and I am looking forward to my first time in the UK. We plan on just walking around and see the Tower. I am still pleased we are staying at the Tower of Guoman Hotel. I think I will check into the Beefeater Tour. Thanks again to all those who helped me.

Dorene

Archived