Cat? + Kid Age?

jrbdad

OK -- first timer here. We are Disney nuts. Have our first ever cruise of any kind scheduled for May on the Wonder. A 3 night.

When we get the to date of the cruise it will be myself, DW, DS14, DS12, & DD9.

We have a Cat 4 booked -- really wanted a verandah. Wondering if we should try to upgrade to at Cat 3 at the port? Really don't like the cost now -- hoping for a deal. One issue -- my DW tells me I snore -- thinking the family might be more comfortable if we had more room. But then I think we won't be in the room that much?

Then wondering if they will allow DS12 to go to the teen activities with DS14. Yes, they are brothers -- but they are best friends as well.

Thanks for the help. I'm sure I'll have tons of other questions between now and May.

Try pricing out a lower level verandah for you, your wife and your daughter plus an inside for your 2 sons. It's actually likely to be less expensive than the cat 4 you have now. Two staterooms will give everyone a little more privacy, plus 2 bathrooms. Getting changed in one room with 2 adults and 3 older children would be challenging!

Cruise kids programs are usually more willing to move kids down than up. How close to 13 will the 12 year old be? Does he look older? Only the staff on board will be able to give you a firm answer.

Disney has removed the age requirements from the clubs so I dont think that there should be an issue if you sons want to hang together.I havent really dug in to it to get to see how it is now, but I havent seen or heard anything negative yet other than concerns from people who have not experienced the new club rules yet, on 2 different boards.

Sounds like a fun cruise you have planned, and good for you, the brothers being friends. I dont have any idea about an upgrade at the port other than I know friends who did it, they paid about 500 bucks for an upgrade from Cat 4 to the suite Cat 3. They loved it. However, with three kids, you are going to need the Cat 4 room at least, since that Category is the only non suite category that will sleep five. Unless you wanted to do rooms next to each other etc. Im not savvy enough with prices to know if thats a good deal, but Im told it can be. Also, do you have a stateroom number? In Cat 4 if you are booked GTY, you just get assigned whatever cabin they have, in my case, I got assigned one with the solid white wall verandah and I hated the thought of that so much, I downgraded to a Cat 5 that had a regular verandah. If you see a link below, scroll down, theres a pic of a solid white wall verandah room.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1025732&pp=15&page=4

(not sure if that link is allowed, but if not, APOLOGIES!)

Try pricing out a lower level verandah for you, your wife and your daughter plus an inside for your 2 sons. It's actually likely to be less expensive than the cat 4 you have now. Two staterooms will give everyone a little more privacy, plus 2 bathrooms. Getting changed in one room with 2 adults and 3 older children would be challenging!

Cruise kids programs are usually more willing to move kids down than up. How close to 13 will the 12 year old be? Does he look older? Only the staff on board will be able to give you a firm answer.

I know there was a reason why I didn't do the adjoining rooms at the lower level -- but I can't remember what it was???? Not sure if I'm getting old or if the three kids have done it to me????

Anyway -- the boys are mistaken for twins all the time. Maybe we'll get lucky.

Thanks for the responses.

Just repriced two Cat 7's via Disney Cruiseline's website and it looks like it would be about $600 more than the one Cat 4. Now I'm not sure if that is worth it or should I try to upgrade at the port or just be happy with what I have. :confused:

Our first cruise was with Disney on the 3 nights. I found that I used the veranda because we had the veranda. After that I did not spend the extra money and found it helped me get out into the ship and explore. I spend alot of time reading and can find many nice places to read and watch the ship cruise. Now when I book a cruise we book low priced inside rooms, not the very bottom but like second or third from bottom. Same cruise, same everything except a different place to sleep.

As far as the kids go. I believe they removed age restrictions on the kids areas and I have found that most of the time the cruise line will make exceptions if you talk to them. Now with that said you might run into trouble with the 12year old going with the 14 year old.

Most of the time the parents think they should be together and what ends up happening is the 14 year old is annoyed by the 12 year old. The 14 year old will be with kids (and girls) that are 14 to 17 years old. They do not like the little brother hanging around. Most of the time it works out better getting the 12 year old in with kids his age 11 and 12 year olds and he will end up meeting new friends. My 13 year old son still communicates with kids he meet 3 years ago on a cruise.

OK -- first timer here. We are Disney nuts. Have our first ever cruise of any kind scheduled for May on the Wonder. A 3 night.

When we get the to date of the cruise it will be myself, DW, DS14, DS12, & DD9.

We have a Cat 4 booked -- really wanted a verandah. Wondering if we should try to upgrade to at Cat 3 at the port? Really don't like the cost now -- hoping for a deal. One issue -- my DW tells me I snore -- thinking the family might be more comfortable if we had more room. But then I think we won't be in the room that much?

Then wondering if they will allow DS12 to go to the teen activities with DS14. Yes, they are brothers -- but they are best friends as well.

Thanks for the help. I'm sure I'll have tons of other questions between now and May.

Thanks for the feedback -- DW really wanted the verandah and considering the convincing I had to do to get her to go on the cruise -- it was a must have. Maybe she'll love it and on future cruises we can go without -- like you.

You may be right on the boys - I hope we have the option though. They really are very close.

Our first cruise was with Disney on the 3 nights. I found that I used the veranda because we had the veranda. After that I did not spend the extra money and found it helped me get out into the ship and explore. I spend alot of time reading and can find many nice places to read and watch the ship cruise. Now when I book a cruise we book low priced inside rooms, not the very bottom but like second or third from bottom. Same cruise, same everything except a different place to sleep.

As far as the kids go. I believe they removed age restrictions on the kids areas and I have found that most of the time the cruise line will make exceptions if you talk to them. Now with that said you might run into trouble with the 12year old going with the 14 year old.

Most of the time the parents think they should be together and what ends up happening is the 14 year old is annoyed by the 12 year old. The 14 year old will be with kids (and girls) that are 14 to 17 years old. They do not like the little brother hanging around. Most of the time it works out better getting the 12 year old in with kids his age 11 and 12 year olds and he will end up meeting new friends. My 13 year old son still communicates with kids he meet 3 years ago on a cruise.

The problem is going to be that you want a 12 YO to go to the Teen club with the 14 YO. If the 14 YO is ok hanging out with kids younger than him, you'll be o.k. it's the moving up to the teen club with the 12yo, you'll have trouble. I know you say that they look like twins, but DCL will know their age, because you told them when you booked the cruise. Most likely the 12 yo will NOT be allowed into the teen activities, but the 14 yo probably will be allowed into the lab. So they 14 yo will have to decide if hanging out with his brother is worth giving up the teen club. Also the 12 yo won't be allowed to book the teen beach excursion on Castaway Cay (which most teens love!), you need to be 13 for that one, no exceptions.

My younger son used to go to the Teen Club with his older sister all the time. They give their names, but they don't "Check in" ....they usually wandered in, met up with kids they'd met, and then hung out together....did some of the scavenger hunts, etc. I'm betting you won't have a problem there.

The reason you didn't book two lower category rooms is because you'd be paying for four adults that way, and only one child. You always pay for two adults per room, then kids. It would be more money to get two rooms.

You *might* be able to upgrade at the port for that amount of money....but that's only if you are the first one or two families in the check in line that morning, and only if they have a suite still open. They normally start to upgrade people two weeks before the cruise, to fill the ship with people who only want to pay for the lower categories and ...in my opinion, every time they upgrade someone for the shorter cruises into a suite, they're gaining a new family who LOVES it so much, they're only going to book a suite the next time, on a longer cruise!

SO....honest advice from someone who's cruised Disney since 2002...13 cruises...... if you want more space, your own bedroom, two bathrooms....BOOK the suite, don't hold your breath for an upgrade.

Since it's only 3 nights....I'd say stick with the Cat 4 ...and save your "suite" money for a longer cruise.

I believe that Disney will have no problem with your two sons going to the same club. We did it last cruise but at the younger level (12/13 year olds) but here is something for your younger son to consider....the younger clubs have more activities planned where the older club is more hang out time. I guess it depends on how busy they like to be.

I believe that Disney will have no problem with your two sons going to the same club. We did it last cruise but at the younger level (12/13 year olds) but here is something for your younger son to consider....the younger clubs have more activities planned where the older club is more hang out time. I guess it depends on how busy they like to be.

Thanks!

Archived