Need advice about Cozumel

sapphire_407

I am looking at booking a cruise on the Legend (my favorite ship) in May out of Tampa. I'd like to eat some real authentic mexican food while in Cozumel. Not the typical touristy places. Can anyone recommend a restaurant that serves the real thing? Doesn't have to be fancy, just GOOD authentic food.

Easy to find such a place, head to the main town square, go two blocks inland away from all the tourist traps until you find a place where the menu is hand written on a chalk board in Spanish and all the prices are in Pesos. There are several, just wander around a while. Don't expect to find much TexMex at these restaurants which is what most Americans consider Mexican food. Many have a fixed menu and price, you eat whatever is being cooked that day. Most cruise ship tourist are afraid to get out of sight of the boat so you will probably be the only gringos eating there. Take the time to learn a few words of polite Spanish and you will have a great time and a meal to remember.

ITA with Traveler353. Explore the areas inland from the main plaza, and definitely don't expect anything resembling TexMex. The first time we had authentic Mexican food, my kids were like "What is that????" My daughter's favorite place to eat ended up being a little place off the plaza owned by a Texan where she could get chicken friend steak, french fries and real malts :D I will admit it was a welcome change occasionally during a two-week stay on the island, but unfortunately it's no longer there.

I am looking at booking a cruise on the Legend (my favorite ship) in May out of Tampa. I'd like to eat some real authentic mexican food while in Cozumel. Not the typical touristy places. Can anyone recommend a restaurant that serves the real thing? Doesn't have to be fancy, just GOOD authentic food.

i second the pancho's backyard. we have eaten at the one in town only (many times), have not tried the one at puerta maya pier. it is very clean and nice .

Pancho's Backyard is a good choice, they make the best guacamole(sp). There is one downtown and one at the international pier. If you go to the website, there is a coupon for a free margarita, that is only for the the one downtown. Good Eating!

Archived