Going to Labadee Tomorrow

aprilfool

It does not sound like you are familiar with this port stop. There are no shore excursions outside of activities that are offered by RCI. There are no options, there are no tour companies, there is tour operator to consult with. This is a stop at RCI's private resort located on on Haiti and no one is going anywhere that RCI isn't taking them.

Yes very familiar with Labadee. Someone had mentioned that on any given day any of the Caribbean islands are in a severe state of poverty. They referred to using your vacation for volunteering and said that cruise lines are not really conducive to that. I was just stating that at most ports (excluding private islands such as Labadee, Coco Cay, Great Stirrup Cay, etc.) you can indeed do something to help. It will not be listed as an excursion you would have to make your own excursion and do your research ahead of time. I have actually been to both Labadee and Coco Cay and fully understand the fact that they essentially are not even remotely typical of the country they are located in. I actually went to a Children's Home in Honduras.

It sounds like you did not read the post you are criticizing. tbear2762's very first phrase acknowledged that Labadee was a private port, and one would probably not be able to do things there. I too have spent part of a cruise day at an orphanage in Roatan, Honduras - both heartwarming and heartbreaking.

Thom

Thank you Thom. Some people only see a part of a reply. It is very easy to do I myself have made comments based on a portion of a post only to reread and realize that I had made a gross error. No offense was taken.

Thank you Thom. Some people only see a part of a reply. It is very easy to do I myself have made comments based on a portion of a post only to reread and realize that I had made a gross error. No offense was taken.

I am glad that no offense was taken as certainly none was meant. I just was not sure if you knew that Labadee was walled off from the rest of Haiti. Most other private stops really are islands and people know that there will be nowhere else to go. Some folks on these boards in the past have asked if they can go off seeing the countryside like at other ports since Labadee is not an island not realizing that you are confined to the compound.

You, obviously, are familiar with the setup.:)

It sounds like you did not read the post you are criticizing. tbear2762's very first phrase acknowledged that Labadee was a private port, and one would probably not be able to do things there. I too have spent part of a cruise day at an orphanage in Roatan, Honduras - both heartwarming and heartbreaking.

Thom

I wasn't criticizing. My response was to a misinturpretation.

these discussions are getting out of control

after 9/11 i wonder how many tourists who already booked their NYC trip end up cancelling?

someone mention this previously and he is correct this is simply a case of being too near a disaster.

and all the folks who are against cruiseships docking in haiti i wish to know if u have an itenary listing haiti in the next few weeks? its quite easy to stand in judgement when you are not a part of a situation. so if u dont want to go dont go. who are you to tell others to go or not? next you lot will be saying if u do go there do not eat or drink or dont go for a swim just go there and cry. well i bet i sympathize with the haitan ppl alot more than most here who probably havent donated a single dime yet to help. I know these type of ppl very well i see them everyday in life.

and alot of folks talking about respecting the ppl etc etc well first learn to respect your mother and father then learn to respect others before trying to teach others about respect.

What an incredibly wonderful idea! You could leave them suitcases also to help them carry their belongings. How many people have extra suitcases. The people who drive to their ports could really make a difference.

Yeah, just what they need, a lot of junk to clear away from Labadee.

People remember this money is great but food and water would be wonderful to. MAybe even throw a couple of boxes on wound care supplys in your suitcase and ask the ship to make sure it goes with the supplies that they are giving. Also anyone sailing out of miami they have set up collection site in the terminal and the market place is near buy mayne buy some water of nonperishable food and donate there so that it can get to the people .

People remember this money is great but food and water would be wonderful to. MAybe even throw a couple of boxes on wound care supplys in your suitcase and ask the ship to make sure it goes with the supplies that they are giving. Also anyone sailing out of miami they have set up collection site in the terminal and the market place is near buy mayne buy some water of nonperishable food and donate there so that it can get to the people .

Its a little too late for wound care.

• 8 months later...

I agree. We should go and spend there,$$$. There are many opportunities for us to donate money here in the states thru relief organizations. I belong to the Presbyterian Church and, we as an orginazatiion donate generously there, as well as have relief workers there. As a previous poster has said, "tip generously" for services at Labadee also. I am looking forward to stopping there Oct., 2011 on EOS.

Archived