Which hotel is better?

Quincella

Has anyone stayed at the Marriott Waikiki Beach or the Hilton Hawaiian Village? Also, did you happen to book it throught NCL for a pre- or post-cruise stay?

I'm interested to know your thoughts about each property, as well as the experience of booking directly through the cruise line. The rates seem reasonable, but I'm afraid we'll get stuck in a basement storage room or something! :D Please share...

We stayed at the Marriott pre-cruise. Typical Marriott room, partial ocean view. The price was good since it was New Years Eve and rates were sky high elsewhere. It was worth it to have my luggage picked up and transferred to the ship and to be preregistered and not have along wait in line at embarkation.

Tom

We left it in our rooms with NCL luggage tags on it. They picked it up while we were gone. I do not beleive that you can utilize this service unless booked as pre-cruise through NCL.

Post cruise we walked off the ship at 9am and checked luggage, but I am sure it is available as soon as disembarkation starts.

We stayed for 3 nights there pre-cruise. Paid $800, for no ocean view. All teh restaurants there are very expensive, and, for example, 2 Diet Cokes cost us over $7.50. However, they have an ABC store on the grounds, and out parking was included with the room. We mostly ate at other places while we were there

We stayed at the Sheraton Waikiki for a few days in 2002, the Hilton HV in 2003, and pre-cruise at the Marriott (booked through NCL) this past October. Here's what we thought about our pre-cruise stay http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=93997. We were able to book the type of room we wanted (oceanview/balcony) through NCL, so you don't have to get a run-of-the-house room if you're willing to spend a few extra dollars

I totally concure with Fendbass on the price of the food at HHV. It was absolutely rediculous for the quality/quantity. That said, there are a lot of restaurants within walking distance. It just so happened that we had our kids with us at the HHV, so we ate at the hotel (and through room service) more than we normally would have in the evenings (my kids were 1, 6, and 10 at the time, and the youngest didn't do well in restaurants at that age and by the end of the day they were exhausted).

BankofDad (AKA My Personal Cruise Consultant):D : From what I'm reading, you were pleased with your decision to book the Marriott through NCL (with the exception of the view). Is that a correct assumption? Was the convenience worth the few dollars extra (compared to the other hotels you stayed in)? If we go this route, would you suggest NOT paying to upgrade the room, given the less-than-fantastic rooftop views?

Thanks SO much for all of your feedback!

HI Quincella,

If I were to do this same trip again, I would most definitely book the pre-cruise through NCL and stay at the Marriot. IMHO, it allowed me to make the very most of every minute of our vacation. Paying a few dollars extra to have NCL take care of the check-in, luggage and transportation details with priority status gave us the opportunity to spend more time enjoying Hawaii. I wouldn't change a thing.

Regarding the room type, that's a tough question for me in all honesty. I love having a balcony, and even though the view was definitely not as nice as other Waikiki hotels we've stayed in, I personally would still book the oceanview category again. However, if my budget either allowed me to spend the extra money between the room type or being able to participate in some other activity around the islands, I would use the money on the activity without question.

Hope this helps!

As if you didn't have enough to think about, here's a few more considerations. The Marriot and Princess Ka`iulani are across Kalakaua Avenue from the beach and will have a limited Ocean View. My brother from the mainland stayed at the Princess K and found the noise from the the entertainment by the pool and the International Market Place next door to make it difficult to sleep. The Hilton and Sheraton Waikiki are on the beach. The Hilton is a major complex with 4 or 5 towers and a humongous parking garage. As for food at the Hilton walk a block to Wailana Coffee Shop- open 24 hours, good food, reasonable, fast service. The Hilton is at the Ewa (west) end of Waikiki. The Marriot is at the Diamond Head end of Waikiki and Princess K and Sheraton are in the middle; those three are surrounded by reasonably priced places to eat.

Our Kupuna (Senior) group performed a Hawaiian show at the Marriot (and the Hawaiian Regent which it was previously called) for 20+ years so I guess it's my sentimental favorite and on a par with the others.

Wherever you stay, you'll enjoy Paradise.

Just Hang Loose!

We are booked at the Waikki Beach Marriott for 5 nights before our cruise not booked with NCL. And we are thinking of changing to Outrigger Waikki on the Beach. Anyone have any info on that? We cant use the NCL desk unless we are booked through them right?

If you booked your own stay at the Marriott, could you purchase transportation to the ship through NCL? Has anyone tried this? Or would it just be cheaper to get a taxi?

Taxi would be much cheaper. You will pay about $20 per person for the shuttle. Taxi to the pier is probably $18 or less.

Tom

• 2 weeks later...

I found a good deal on a room at Holiday Inn, which seems to be on the east end of Waikiki area, a couple of blocks from the beach. We don't need balcony etc as we will have a balcony cabin on the our cruise, but want a clean, comfortable room in a decent neighborhood for two nights to get over the jetlag and to see a little of Oahu. Does anyone know anything about the Waikiki Holiday Inn? We thought $100 per night for three people in a room with two double beds not bad, certainly better than anything else we located. We are sailing on NCL's Pride of Aloha on March 20. WE booked our own air. We are seniors and two of us have been in Hawaii on two previous occasions. Last time we stayed at the Ilikai which seems to be near to Holiday Inn. I'd like to stay there again, but the best we could find was $185 per night.

Archived