Balcony in August?

K9pal

We're looking at a Vancouver round trip August 15-22. We'd really like a balcony cabin. Will we be wasting our money on a balcony in mid-August, or will we actually be able to use it? This is our first Alaska cruise, so not sure what to expect weather-wise. Thanks!

I honestly cannot imagine doing the Alaska cruise without the balcony. We did the cruise last August (August 21-28 to be exact) in and out of Seattle. We had a balcony and used it daily. The beauty of the Alaska cruise is that you have beautiful scenery around you for the majority of the cruise, so you will truly enjoy waking up and opening your curtains to see what the view is for the day. In the afternoons, my husband and I would literally race for the chaise lounge on the balcony. It was an ideal place to relax and read while enjoying the wonderful breeze and curling up under one of the wool blankets the ship had provided. It is cool, but not unbearable. You'll also enjoy having the balcony on days when your ship is near glaciers as you will have an excellent view.

So, splurge and get the balcony - you will be glad you did!

We had a balcony on our first two AK cruises - mid-

September in 2006 and early June in 2008. Loved it! Used it all the time - scanning the sea for whale blows or tails, looking for Dall Porpoise, having breakfast, and yes, even dinner out there a couple of nights! Different weather in each of those time frames - Sept. was decidedly cooler and rainier, with early sunsets, while June had long hours of daylight and warmer temps., a bit of rain, but not as much. Still, we planned for the weather - and if we were wrapped in robes or blankets on the balcony, so be it! But that is just us. Some would rather get an oceanview cabin or even an inside cabin to save $$$ for excursions, which are very expensive (but oh, so worth it!) in Alaska. It is whatever you prefer and can afford. That being said, we're going on our third AK cruise on May 31st for HAL's new 14 day itinerary, and we just couldn't afford a balcony on this trip - the Amsterdam is a smaller ship and doesn't have as many balcony cabins, which makes the cost quite pricey. So instead, we booked an aft oceanview cabin, 7056, which is just steps from a small public, but little known and supposedly little used deck on the aft of the ship on the Navigation deck. Just one outside flight of stairs to the Lido deck (handy for snacks and drinks!), plus we still have a wonderful view. It will be easy access from our cabin door to the outside deck and we're fine with that. I will miss our own private balcony to be sure - but hey, its Alaska! I'd do just about anything, including sailing in the "cheap seats" so to speak to go back again!;)

I live in the Northwest, so it also depends how easily you become cold. I traveled with others, and we had two aft balconies and it was FABULOUS! It is the only way to cruise in Alaska. We could walk out at any time in our PJ's and see wildlife or I took photos during the cruise on the Tracy Arm fijord.

i will take a balcony anytime, especially in alaska. but inside cabins are very nice and fit my budget. there is nothing like drinking your coffee from room service in the morning on it or having a glass of wine during sunset on your own private area. yes, get a balcony if you can.

It will not be a waste. The balcony is a must. Our cruise left Aug 30th of 2009 and it was well worth it. It is great to be able to go out there any time just to take a look at the scenery. Allows you to relax in your room for a bit without feeling like you are missing anything. It made the trip more relaxing for us that it would have been otherwise.

Some would rather get an oceanview cabin or even an inside cabin to save $$$ for excursions, which are very expensive (but oh, so worth it!) in Alaska. It is whatever you prefer and can afford.

Remember that just by being on the ship you, ALREADY, are on an excursion. Would you buy an expendive shore excursion and then sit where you couldn't see out all of the time?

Thanks to everyone for your advice - I was actually surprised that no one made an argument against a balcony! Based on your opinions, we booked a verandah cabin this morning. And we'll probably use the verandah more than the treadmill we would have bought with the savings anyway... ;)

Thanks to everyone for your advice - I was actually surprised that no one made an argument against a balcony! Based on your opinions, we booked a verandah cabin this morning. And we'll probably use the verandah more than the treadmill we would have bought with the savings anyway... ;)

I just had to add that last year in August on Princess (Starr), it was a bit rainy. We're from Oregon though and as such the rain didn't really make any difference in our use of the balcony. We will only crusie with a balcony. On our June trip, year before last, the weather was fantastic and the balcony became our usual hang-out.

However, regarding your treadmill comment, I don't know if I can agree on the amount of use you would get out of the treadmill. We had a Nordic-Trak and I used it almost every day of the year. The only time I didn't use it was when the lovely Mrs. symo would make me hang up all my pants and shirts that I drapped over it :D I have yet to find a better silent butler for clothes.

symo

We're on the Island Princess' southbound sailing August 16. Our trip starts on August 12 with a 4 night land tour (Seattle, Fairbanks, and two nights in Denali). It is the NB4 tour/cruise offered by Princess. My group got nine balcony cabins in a row. What's nice about this is that the cabin steward can remove/fold back the partition that separates the balconies from the cabin next door. From what I understand the cabin steward can do this for two or three cabins in a row. As a result, our group will have several greatly "extended" balconies to share with each other. We're looking forward to it.

We had an oceanview cabin on our first Alaskan cruise. I always said if we went back it would be better to get a balcony. And this time our timing was great because we got a fantastic deal on the 4 night land tour and and 7 night balcony cabin ($2,349 including all taxes per person).

John

Some would rather get an oceanview cabin or even an inside cabin to save $$$ for excursions, which are very expensive (but oh, so worth it!) in Alaska. It is whatever you prefer and can afford.

Remember that just by being on the ship you, ALREADY, are on an excursion. Would you buy an expendive shore excursion and then sit where you couldn't see out all of the time?

I agree with Assateague. Sure, it would be great if everyone could easily afford a balcony cabin. But, for those who can't or don't want to, what she says makes sense to me!! It would be nice to always have beautiful scenery to look at, but like she said, it's what one prefers and can afford. There are people who book balconies then don't want to take excursions where they see even more of Alaska. I wouldn't want to sit on my balcony freezing my butt off, (or watching in my cabin) but not experience anything else of Alaska.

We chose not to have a balcony on Amsterdam because of what was above and below the verandah decks!! Didn't want to take a chance on noise. We have been upgraded to suites, but had to suffer with noise, because of the location.

Hopefully, in the future we will be able to enjoy Alaska scenery 24/7 on a balcony. But, for the time being, I think we will still be able to enjoy this trip. I am confused about what was meant by sitting where you couldn't see out all the time. We hope to find spots on the ship where we can do this---much of the time!! The only time we're in the cabin for any length of time is when we are getting ready for dinner. Besides, I am sure there is going to be so much beauty to take in, it isn't going to make a whole lot of difference if we miss some of it.

A few posts back, someone remarked they were sorry they spent so much time in their cabin, looking out the verandah window, instead of being with people in the public areas. Depends on what you want out of the trip. Or what you can honestly afford during these hard times!!

Archived