Word of warning on travel to Labadee/Haiti - Travel Insurance

coxswain

The Department of State warns U.S. citizens of the situation in Haiti and urges them to avoid travel to Haiti in the aftermath of a powerful earthquake that struck Haiti on January 12.

UK advice - We currently advise against all but essential travel to Haiti.

Having just done some research into Travel Insurance and checked a leading company in the UK -

"It is important to bear in mind that your travel insurance policy can become invalid if you visit certain areas that the government has advised against travel to."

So anyone travelling to Labadee must double check with their insurance company prior to travel or you mightn't be covered !!

jj.........

Labadee is so far removed from the real Haiti. Anyone who has been there can assure you there's no problem traveling there. Labadee being Haiti is like going to Epcot and saying you are in Europe or going to Pizza Hut and saying you are in Rome.

Edit: Didn't see the jj way at the bottom. Well played.

Labadee is so far removed from the real Haiti. Anyone who has been there can assure you there's no problem traveling there. Labadee being Haiti is like going to Epcot and saying you are in Europe or going to Pizza Hut and saying you are in Rome.

Its 139kms

Well its just a heads up to check with your insurer - imagine you had to claim and they said no.

http://wikitravel.org/en/Travel_insurance - Exclusions

jj.......

Its 139kms

Well its just a heads up to check with your insurer - imagine you had to claim and they said no.

http://wikitravel.org/en/Travel_insurance - Exclusions

jj.......

Guess I'm not clear on the "jj" on the bottom of your post. Is it a signature? In the states "jj" generally means "just joking"....

I would suggest always checking to be safe. As safe or distant as it may be, back in '99 I believe, our Navigator ship was rerouted to the Bahamas instead of Labadee do to civil unrest.... So while it may seem a world away, if Royal Caribbean has cancelled stops for safety reasons before, I am sure insurance companies are even stricter.

Well i can assure you i'm not joking.

Could you imagine an injury on the beach in Labadee and having to pay the bill because your insurance is iinvaild ?

jj.......

I would urge people to take your timely "heads up" seriously.

Not because I think there is any great inherent danger in Labadee because of the situation in Port au Prince.

Insurance companies have very specific certficates with a lot of fine print, so I think it would be prudent to check with each passenger's specific carrier.

Labadee may be about 100 miles from PaP, experienced little damage from the quake, and be secure and safe. Regardless of this, it is part of the country of Haiti, for which this travel advisory has been issued.

What if one disembarks the ship, is on land at Labadee, and has a serious accident? As we all know, costs can run into the thousands of dollars. What if a medevac is necessary, that's even more $$$?

I'm not trying to be paranoid, just realistic.

Isn't the entire country only the size of Maryland? Labadee is inside of Haiti so I am not so sure that I agree.:confused:

I really can't imagine that any insurer is going to look at Labadee upon filing a claim and say, "Well, it's far enough removed from the real Haiti, I think we can cover this."

Labadee is part of Haiti, plain and simple. Not that I think there are going to be any problems traveling there, but it's better to do some research with your insurer beforehand rather than have regrets about it later.

Isn't the entire country only the size of Maryland? Labadee is inside of Haiti so I am not so sure that I agree.:confused:

The analogy might not have been the best one, but Labadee is pretty much a self-contained remote peninsula well north of Port au Prince that allows you to see the beauty that is Haiti minus the poverty and problems that are rampant throughout the rest of the country. To say that being in Labadee is the same as seeing and experiencing life in Haiti is more than a gross exaggeration, perhaps like saying that visiting the Epcot section labelled France is the same as visiting Paris. Size is somewhat relative especially when you consider the lack of infrastructure in that poor country which would make a trip the border with the Dominican Republic to the western coast considerably more difficult than traveling from one end of Maryland to the other.:rolleyes:

keep in mind the US warning is an advisory NOT a ban. Makes a big difference for semantics.

The wording advises citizens to avoid travel to Haiti...that's the important phrase.

And, most insurance companies will deny claims if you travel to an area where you are advised not to go.

Each should check their own insurance company....and do it by phone.

http://gocaribbean.about.com/od/haiti/qt/Haitiearthquakewarning.htm

The wording advises citizens to avoid travel to Haiti...that's the important phrase.

And' date=' most insurance companies will deny claims if you travel to an area where you are advised not to go.

Each should check their own insurance company....and do it by phone.

http://gocaribbean.about.com/od/haiti/qt/Haitiearthquakewarning.htm[/quote']

I have....no issues, Again they said since NO ban was issued. BTW there have been advises not to go to Haiti for years and no one has ever questioned their cruise insurance???

keep in mind the US warning is an advisory NOT a ban. Makes a big difference for semantics.

If it were a 'ban', you wouldn't be able to go there if your point of embarkation was in the U.S. You would have to enter from a foreign country as you do with Cuba.

I have....no issues, Again they said since NO ban was issued. BTW there have been advises not to go to Haiti for years and no one has ever questioned their cruise insurance???

I personally would not want to even go to Labadee because.....How could you go there and have a good time knowing there was so much death and destruction so close. Seems disrespectful.

Just bak on the boards, has rccl cancelled their stops at labadee. Oh i hope so. How could anyone even think of sitting on a beautiful beach sipping pina coladas while they are going thru such a tragedy. My heart goes out to them

Just bak on the boards, has rccl cancelled their stops at labadee. Oh i hope so. How could anyone even think of sitting on a beautiful beach sipping pina coladas while they are going thru such a tragedy. My heart goes out to them

Because it helps the people for the tourists to still come.

this is from RCCL's webpage

"In addition to our financial contribution, Royal Caribbean will continue to provide economic support through the continuous business we bring to Labadee," Fain added.

Leslie Voltaire, Special Envoy of the government of Haiti to the United Nations said, "Given the terrible economic and social challenges we now face in Haiti, we welcome the continuation of the positive economic benefits that the cruise ship calls to Labadee contribute to our country."

I would go there in a heartbeat because I know that the dollars I spent in the market or tipping the workers on the island would make a couple families lives easier.

Very accurate point.

Also, I had an email from Travel Guard and they are offering assistance with Haiti related travel...the email indicated that they are being very generous in the assistance being provided, above what they normally do. If I had saved the email I could offer specifics or even cut and paste but I get so much from so many insurance carriers I get the info I need and trash most emails...

Labadee should be fine to visit...going to PoP is a different story. Even the US Government is making it very clear any relief team needs to arrive with all means by which to travel, eat, drink, etc...so unless you are well equiped as part of a rescue/relief team stay out of POP and keep out of the way.

I was going to say the same thing but see that you all ready did.

And here is proof

HAITI

July 17, 2009

The State Department warns U.S. citizens to exercise a high degree of caution when traveling to Haiti. While the overall security situation has improved, political tensions remain, and the potential for politically-motivated violence persists. This Travel Warning replaces the Travel Warning dated January 28, 2009, and is being issued to provide updated information on country conditions, and to alert Americans to ongoing security concerns and on contacting and registering with the U.S. Embassy in Haiti.

Haiti, like most Caribbean countries, can be affected by hurricanes and other storms. Hurricane season runs from approximately June 1 - November 30 each year. The lack of infrastructure and rescue services, combined with impassable roads and bridges, have severely hindered rescue and relief efforts. During the 2008 hurricane season, four tropical storms struck Haiti, causing torrential rains, extensive flooding and mudslides, and hundreds of reported casualties. Most transport infrastructure damaged by the 2008 storms has been repaired, although in many cases repairs are temporary pending the construction of more permanent structures. Haiti has few secondary roads that are in good condition. Drivers traveling on Haiti's roads must be aware that there will be frequent deviations, stoppages and obstructions due to ongoing road construction and repairs. For additional details concerning traffic safety and road conditions, please see the Department of State's Country Specific Information for Haiti.

There were violent confrontations between opposing candidates' supporters and armed attacks on polling stations in a handful of Haitian towns during the April 19, 2009, Senate elections. There was less violence in the second round of voting on June 21. International monitors described the elections as generally well-organized and orderly. The absence of an effective police force in many areas of Haiti means that, when protests take place, there is potential for looting, the erection of intermittent roadblocks by armed protestors or by the police, and the possibility of random crime, including kidnapping, carjacking, home invasion, armed robbery and assault. Although the Haitian National Police are more visible and are gradually contributing to improving public security, especially in the metropolitan area of the capital, Americans in Haiti should practice good personal security, take commonsense precautions and avoid any event where crowds may congregate. Even demonstrations intended to be peaceful occasionally turn violent. Americans should closely monitor news media and the U.S. Embassy's website at: http://haiti.usembassy.gov/.

U.S. citizens traveling to and residing in Haiti despite this warning are reminded that there also is persistent danger of violent crime, especially kidnappings. Most kidnappings are criminal in nature, and the kidnappers make no distinctions of nationality, race, gender, or age. The incidence of kidnapping in Haiti has diminished from its peak in 2006 when 60 Americans were reported kidnapped. As of July 2009, one American had been reported kidnapped this year. In 2008, 27 Americans were reported kidnapped. Most of the Americans were abducted in Haiti's two largest cities, Port-au-Prince and Cap Haitien. Some kidnap victims have been killed, shot, sexually assaulted, or physically abused. While the capacity and capabilities of the Haitian National Police have improved since 2006, the presence of UN stabilization force (MINUSTAH) peacekeeping troops and UN-formed police units remain critical to maintaining an adequate level of security throughout the country. The lack of civil protections in Haiti, as well as the limited capability of local law enforcement to resolve crime, further compounds the security threat to American citizens.

While MINUSTAH remains fully deployed and is assisting the government of Haiti in providing security, travel is always hazardous within Port-au-Prince. U.S. Embassy personnel are under an Embassy-imposed curfew and must remain in their homes or in U.S. government facilities during the curfew. Some areas are off-limits to Embassy staff after dark, including downtown Port-au-Prince. The Embassy restricts travel by its staff to some areas outside of Port-au-Prince because of the prevailing road, weather, or security conditions. This may constrain our ability to provide emergency services to U.S. citizens outside Port-au-Prince. Demonstrations and violence may occasionally limit Embassy operations to emergency services, even within Port-au-Prince.

The Department of State strongly advises U.S. citizens traveling to or residing in Haiti to register either online at https://travelregistration.state.gov or with the Consular Section of the U.S. Embassy in Port-au-Prince. The Consular Section can be reached at (509) (2)229-8000 or e-mail address acspap@state.gov. Travelers should also consult the Department of State's latest Country Specific Information for Haiti and the Worldwide Caution at http://travel.state.gov . American citizens also may obtain up-to-date information on security conditions by calling 1-888-407-4747 toll free in the United States.

I was going to say the same thing but see that you all ready did.

And here is proof

HAITI

July 17, 2009

The State Department warns U.S. citizens to exercise a high degree of caution when traveling to Haiti.

It says Caution - as to the new advice

January 14, 2010

The Department of State warns U.S. citizens of the situation in Haiti and urges them to avoid travel to Haiti in the aftermath of a powerful earthquake that struck Haiti on January 12.

And the UK - We currently advise against all but essential travel to Haiti. Which means you won't be covered by UK insurance

No mainstream travel insurance company will cover you. According to Malcolm Tarling, spokesman for the Association of British Insurers, "if you travel against Foreign Office advice, you are putting yourself at increased risk. Travel insurance is not there to cover people who purposefully do so."

jj......

Yes they should still go to Labadee, for one simple reason. They went there before.

Anyone who thinks that it's somehow wrong to go there now because of all the tragedy and suffering, obviously had their head in (the sand) up until now. Haiti has been one of the poorest nations on earth, with barely any government, no public services or resources, and unspeakable human suffering for YEARS.

Now all of a sudden, there's an earthquake and people's eyes are open?:confused:

It's simple, if you think RCI shouldn't go now, then you should really believe they never should have gone before!

Yes they should still go to Labadee, for one simple reason. They went there before.

Anyone who thinks that it's somehow wrong to go there now because of all the tragedy and suffering, obviously had their head in (the sand) up until now. Haiti has been one of the poorest nations on earth, with barely any government, no public services or resources, and unspeakable human suffering for YEARS.

Now all of a sudden, there's an earthquake and people's eyes are open?:confused:

It's simple, if you think RCI shouldn't go now, then you should really believe they never should have gone before!

There have been a few posts in this thread that I agree with and this is one of them. I believe it's vital that the tourists continue to visit and support the local economy. There will be hardly any family not touched by the earthquake and moral as well as financial support will be vital especially as communication with the rest of the world will be so very limited now.

Archived