Cairo Pyramids and Museum Trip

We are Red Sea cruising on the 18th February.

Can anyone me tell the order you do the Cairo trip in. Do you go to Pyramids first, then lunch at a hotel and then museum? If so, I am tempted to miss lunch and ask the coach organiser if we can get a taxi to the museum, then to meet the coach in the coach park when it is due to leave.

Can someone clarify timings and order - would love to have a proper look at museum.:confused:

Do you think this is do-able.

Hello there i'm also going but on 25th Feb, i'm not sure but i think the cost of a lunch at the hotel is included in the price of the Cairo excursion (we're doing that one too) so would you really want to skip lunch? I could be wrong of course :)

Hi,

The excursion details on the Ports of call page on Thomson's says :

Museum 1st. Lunch, then Pyramids and Sphinx and then the dreaded papyrus institute.

We did it in June from Alexandria but went straight to Pyramids in the morning before the afternoon heat.

Berwyn

Just back from Red Sea Magic, We visited the museum first and had about 2 hours there. There is a lot of stuff to see and the museum is fairly small with hordes of people. It is in a kind of 19th century timewarp!

Then on to a hotel for lunch via the slums of Giza - eek! and then the pyramids.

Some of the coaches might reverse the order of visit and in this case you might be able to negotiate being dropped off in the city centre on the way to the pyramids. You would miss lunch of course. I would stick with the excursion unless you are VERY independant and confident,. Cairo is DIFFERENT and came as a shock to most cruisers.

Many thanks. I think our best bet would be to ask which hotel they are doing lunch at and what time they will be finished lunch. We could then feasibly do the Cairo Museum, and taxi to meet them before they get back on coach to pyrimids. Wouldn't want to risk seeing them at pyrimids as I understand the area is vast, could end up with wrong coach party.;)

I suppose seeing a poor overloaded donkey on its knee's being whipped mercilessly by a scruffy looking local on the main bridge to Giza would come as a culture shock. You as a visitor are seen by the locals as (a) very very rich (b) suitable game for any scam going. so being INDEPENDENT is a very tricky thing to do., if you can put up weith the constant , I MEAN CONSTANT, harangueing having things thrust into your face go for it.Don't forget if you buy something they invariably want something of yours(beside your money) in return for the object purchased.Our trick was to carry biros or pencils and hand one over, iot wass preferable to the Beloved losing her "mossy repellant device" .As with all cruise destinations, outside of the Carribbean/civilised areas, an open mind is a must, see what you see and do not judge what you see it the terms of the UK.

I suppose seeing a poor overloaded donkey on its knee's being whipped mercilessly by a scruffy looking local on the main bridge to Giza would come as a culture shock. You as a visitor are seen by the locals as (a) very very rich (b) suitable game for any scam going. so being INDEPENDENT is a very tricky thing to do., if you can put up weith the constant , I MEAN CONSTANT, harangueing having things thrust into your face go for it.Don't forget if you buy something they invariably want something of yours(beside your money) in return for the object purchased.Our trick was to carry biros or pencils and hand one over, iot wass preferable to the Beloved losing her "mossy repellant device" .As with all cruise destinations, outside of the Carribbean/civilised areas, an open mind is a must, see what you see and do not judge what you see it the terms of the UK.

Thanks for the advice Brian :) cannot wait now

mrs.c

Archived