Just back from the Century--CDC now 97!!

Saylor

I just got back from the Century yesterday. A lot of revarnishing going on to all of her gorgeous wooden rails and steps. I was a little weary about our cruise but can honestly say, there was nothing to worry about. In fact, the Century has just passed another CDC inspection with a 97! I will be writing a full review as soon as I get all my unpacking done. To the person who wrote that the dancers on board needed to lose a few pounds----bull. I boarded the Century looking for every little flaw I read about. I probably would have never noticed the very few peices of furniture that needed to be reupholstered if I hadn't read it on some thread. What a waste of time. Who cares? Here's the best advice I can give: WING IT!!! Go on your cruise, experience it on your OWN, don't eat what people recommend (the chilled soups that I read so much about were gross!), eat what you want. Everyone is different, so enjoy your own cruise the way you want to.

I did find out that Capt. Pagonis will be leaving next month. He was a very personable and friendly guy.

I printed out a list of the things that people had recommended and for the first two days, tried to do them. Impossible. Take each day and do what you want. Yes, there were a lot of great pointers. In San Juan, not much time, we ended up a Barrachinis where the first Pina Colada was "invented", wasn't that great. In St. Thomas, we took the Turtle Cove Snorkel, GREAT Great time!!! We also did the Sky Lift and that is not to be missed. In St. Maarten, we did the Golden Eagle, what a treat! Another great time! Nassau's straw market was interesting, a lot of pushy people literally begging for you to buy something from them. Didn't find this on any of the other ports. Atlantis was something to see, but don't buy the tour, do it on your own, it's a lot cheaper and you won't see anything more than the tour will. Lounge chairs were hard to come by. We finally got on on the last day!

Our cabin was immaculate. No complaints there!

This has turned out longer than I wanted: My point here was supposed to be don't worry about the Century, she's still going strong. My other point was not to take to heart what you read on these boards, just go with an open mind and have a great time!!!!:)

Hi, I would be more than happy to answer any of your questions, my last cruise was on Royal Caribbean's Grandeur of the sea and I enjoyed the Century more! She was easier to learn your way around and a much classier ship, with lots of wood and brass!

I think my main concern is that Century is 9 years old, and the RC ships that we are looking at are only 4-5 years old. Seems like you didn't encounter any problems with that. I was on the RC Explorer of the Seas before. Have you ever been on any of the RC voyager class ships? If so, do you have any comparisons?;)

Saylor, thanks for the great report. Despite all of the negative comments, I knew that our Century experience in February will be the same as last May. I just don't understand this concern about age - nine years is not that old, and I have always described Century on these boards as an "elegant lady". What makes the experience great is Century's great staff - as well as her size.

Hi Saylor:) glad you had such a good time.

But for the chilled food soups being gross......I LOVE THEM:D ...and recommend them.....food is such a subjective topic;)

So glad to hear you had a wonderful trip!!!

I have been checking the CDC site each day and hadn't seen the re-inspection but BOY are we glad to hear it!!!! That was truly our only worry about our upcoming Century cruise in April. We know all else will be great because we agree...she is a classy lovely ship with heart!

Ibride, we were just on Splendour of the Seas in August/Sept. and loved that ship...In comparing it with Century, besides the food, I'd have to say that the "fine tuning" of service was better on the Century too. We had a jr. suite on Splendour and there were no amenities (no robes, shampoos, plush towels, etc.) where on Century, there ARE!! This would be the main issue to us and yet we would LOVE to sail on Splendour again and ARE going on Century again! Don't fret too much about which to do...I think you're fine with either line! :cool:

Thanks for that upbeat, positive review! I'm so glad to hear that fine lady is back at the top, inspection wise. When we sailed her in October our experience was truely exceptional. I'd be back onboard in a heartbeat if only I had the time....;)

Ibride. I've been on Navigator (Voyager class) and also on Century. My vote is Century hands down. When I returned home from Navigator, an amazing ship, I felt like I had spent the week at Mall of America. Century felt like a cruise. Very big difference in food served. RCI just can't compare to the food on Celebrity.

I took one RCCL cruise on the maiden Voyager cruise. If you want to spend a week in a mall and think the idea of a postage stamp sized ice rink at sea is cool I recommend the Voyager class. If, however, you want a relaxing and stimulating cruise where on day 2 you feel much of the tension leave your body I recommend the Century. While it may be 9 years old, I would note that it carries about 2000 less people each cruise so you may want to re-consider the comparable "wear and tear" aspect. Have fun!

We took the 8:15 a.m. tour, that way we had time to shop in the afternoon. We hopped on a sailboat that took us out to a very secluded beach. We saw A LOT of turtles and pretty fish. Prettier fish in St. Thomas than St. Maarten!! Rum punch and beer on the way back! It was a fun time! Not too many kids on our tour. Definately not overcrowded. It was about $50 a person. Worth it! Have a great time! It went by too quick for me, so savor every moment!

I think my main concern is that Century is 9 years old, and the RC ships that we are looking at are only 4-5 years old. Seems like you didn't encounter any problems with that. I was on the RC Explorer of the Seas before. Have you ever been on any of the RC voyager class ships? If so, do you have any comparisons?;)

As far as I'm concerned, Celebrity maintains their ships far better than RCI. They are vacuumed more, there's more evidence of cleaning while onboard. As for Century being 9 years old, you really need some perspective. A 9 year old ship is not old. In saner times ships were meant to be in service for over 30 years. A 9 year old ship would seem fairly young. From time to time things would be refurbished. It is really a shame that people are concerned with a ship because it is 9 years old.

Saylor,

Thanks for the great mini review, I can't wait to read more. I knew the wonderful Century could not have gone that far down hill in the year since I've been on her. As far as the chilled soups go, last year I tried one the first night because of dear Lois's recommendation and it was love - had them every night after that. As Lois said, food is very subjective. I'm so glad you had a wonderful time.

Susan

Archived