upscale wine shop in San Diego?

Cerinda

We want to grab a case of champagne and moderately-priced French wines between our hotel check-out and embarkation.

Other posts mention several stores: the RiteAid drug store on Ash and Kettner, Ralph's supermarket in the Gaslamp Quarter , the supermarket at the Liberty Station Shopping Center, the Wine Bank on 5th, and Tango Wine on India St.

Which shops are likely to offer the best selection? Which offer the best value?

Have you considered ordering on line and having them delivered to your hotel? We did this and it worked out very well. Prices were good, great variety, and for $49 you can get wines delivered all year. And I don't know who you are sailing with there are restrictions on how much you can bring on board, but I guess you know this.

I can't tell from your post where exactly you are staying?

In Liberty Station there is a great wine bar that also sells wine called Wine Steals. In general Ralphs supermarket has a wide selection and good prices. They will have more to choose from than the Rite Aid. I imagine that the Wine Bank is similar to Wine Steals in that it does tastings and also sells wine.

http://www.sdwinebank.com/

http://www.winestealssd.com/

Thanks, Riff. I haven't been in a Ralph's for at least two years (and that was in Scripps Ranch, not Gaslamp), but I thought I remembered seeing a fairly good champagne selection there. I'm leery of the Wine Bank: I am definitely not buying $50 bottles of Chateau Neuf du Pape, just moderate Burgundies and Bordeaux. Thanks for helping me simplify my embarkation day!

Yes, 5Waldos, HAL allows pax to bring wine. I dislike their wine list, and consider it seriously overpriced. Can you recommend a reputable on-line wine dealer?

Thanks!

Thanks, Riff. I haven't been in a Ralph's for at least two years (and that was in Scripps Ranch, not Gaslamp), but I thought I remembered seeing a fairly good champagne selection there. I'm leery of the Wine Bank: I am definitely not buying $50 bottles of Chateau Neuf du Pape, just moderate Burgundies and Bordeaux. Thanks for helping me simplify my embarkation day!

Yes, 5Waldos, HAL allows pax to bring wine. I dislike their wine list, and consider it seriously overpriced. Can you recommend a reputable on-line wine dealer?

Thanks!

We use wine.com with great success. There is also wines.com but haven't tried them. But wine.com has a good selection, lots of help in choosing wines, delivery is great, and for $49 a year we can have wine delivered for free (well, after the $49 of course). We have had wine delivered to different locations as well as home and never a slip up (now I've jinxed myself!) Let the hotel know you have something coming and have it delivered the day before. We always order an extra bottle for the night before. Just to check the quality, of course.

Archived