Taking Soda/Beer Onboard

mnsawyer

I know this has been posted a million times but could someone please explain to me how we can get a couple of 12-packs of soda and beer onboard?? I'm not crazy about putting in my luggage with my clothes plus I probably wouldn't have room! Do you just carry it with your things on board? Thinking it could be heavy but I guess that's the price you'd pay if you wanted it badly enough??

I am unsure whether you can just carry it on board, don't think they will allow beer....you need to put it in your luggage. What I do is always take another piece of luggage (as we need room to bring back souveniers) or even take a tote bag and place it in our luggage as you may need more room.

You can place the cans/plastic bottles in plastic bags and place them around the border/rims of the luggage, in your shoes, etc. Scatter them around a few in each luggage bag. This way you are guaranteed to get them onboard. One year I did exactly this as I was into drinking root beer and orange soda and knew I was unable to get these kinds on the ship. It worked out perfectly. And coming home (I always bring back at least 12 bottles of liquor as prices of liquor is inexpensive on the islands) I bring that home in my luggage also. What I do is bring large kitchen/garbage bags and place our dirty laundry in them, then scatter bottles in the dirtly laundry bags and they are very cushioned and we never broke a bottle, been doing this for years. :)

I've never tried soda or beer. But everytime we've gone we have taken plastic bottles of alcohol. I put them in our luggage - in a ziplock bag, just in case. I have never had a problem. I don't think they even really look. I may even try a couple bottles of champagne this time. I know that they x-ray the bags. But, I lock our bags - even when they tell you that they will cut the locks - they never have.

We then buy 1 Fountain Fun card - to share, we keep a couple of the larger plastic soda glasses - and mix our own. As long as you get the sodas from 2 different bars - even if they are right next to each other - no one seems to notice - or care - that it goes on the same card. Works great for us, but we are not huge drinkers. A couple before dinner is about it.

Enjoy :D

you can carry the soda on no problem. What we did is bring an extra bag which amounts to a backpack (samsonite hummer bag). We stuffed it with as many clothes as possible in the hotel before embarking, then I put two cases of beer in the main luggage bag and they brought to my room, and I was drinking nice cold beer within an hour of boarding. The room steward even assisted me in emptying the fridge and bringing ice to make my beer cold!!!!! Another tip for you: we over pack EVERY time we go on vacation!!! We have decided to lay out everything we have, then cut it in half for next time. It happens without fail everytime I cruise!!!!! We end up taking clothes that are never used!!!!!!!! I find that two bathing suits, four t shirts are adequete for the day time, and a suit, two dress shirts, 2 pairs of dockers and some button down polo shirts are more than adequete. Just a thought for you to consider. If you subscribe to this theory, it means you can bring more booze on board!!!!:)

Limited Soda is allowed,so you really don't have to hide it...I have always taken an extra sport bag along,I fill it with about 18 beers,a couple of soda's some chips,snacks etc.....but I don't carry it on...I send it tagged with my other luggage and it always gets to my room....done the luggage thing once and i must say may wife was very thoughtfull to have put beer smelling perfume on for formal night....or was that just beer on her dress!@#$%^&.

bob&france

Has anyone ever just put your Beer, Soda, Water in a cardboard box taped it up and taged it as luggage ?. I am thinking of sending a couple of boxes like this via UPS to the hotel we are staying at before our Cruise. When we arrive at the Hotel the boxes will be waiting for us and I will just tape the ships's luggage tag's on the boxes. how do you think this will work. Thanks

We just sailed last week on Carnival Spirit out of San Diego. While standing in the "snake line" to board, we met someone who was carrying on a full case of wine and champagne and a case of bottled water. The wine case was opened and everything was in plain view. He let his wife work her way throught he maze ane when she caught up with him he would scoot the cases over one row and then wait for her again. That way he didn't have to keep lifting the cases. He explained to people that he only had to pay a $10 corkage fee to drink the wine in the dining room and this was a good deal. I don't know if he didi that , or just opened it in his room himself, but he sure didn't have any trouble bringing it on board. We brought 3 bottles of Mexican beer back on board from the beach in Manzanillo. Just wrapped it in beach towels in tote bag. It was x-rayed when we reboarded, but nobody said anything. Next cruise I'm taking whatever I want to start out and not worry about it.

Has anyone ever just put your Beer, Soda, Water in a cardboard box taped it up and taged it as luggage ?. I am thinking of sending a couple of boxes like this via UPS to the hotel we are staying at before our Cruise. When we arrive at the Hotel the boxes will be waiting for us and I will just tape the ships's luggage tag's on the boxes. how do you think this will work. Thanks

It's illegal to ship alcohol through mail, UPS, FedEx, airborne, etc.

With that being said...

if you are going to ship beer, especially bottles, make sure that they are very cushioned and don't touch each other. Beer shipped in it's original case with cushioning around the necks, case wrapped in bubble wrap and put into another box has worked well in the past for err, people I know... ;)

• 6 years later...

I took someones advice here and packed Coors Light in a 12 pack of soda. 10 cans of beer packed and two soda cans placed at the handle area.

We sailed on Carnival last week, and on the "color" x-ray machine you could clearly see the "Coors Light" imprinted on the cans. My three 12 packs were opened and the soda was given back to us. We were given a receipt for the beer and told we could pick it up at the disco the morning we disembarked.

My 15 year old son was embarrassed, while my husband and I giggled along with the security guard when we told him "You got us".

So save yourself the trouble and purchase some rum runners, we had one in a backpack and one in our luggage both made it trough!

A 6 and 1/2 year old thread? Didn't think they kept these on the server that long~!

Wow, you're right Allie! LOL, just started reading as usual......

So, to stay on topic, do you think we can put those little plastic bottles of cranberry juice in our luggage? DW needs to drink some each day for her health;)

Wow, you're right Allie! LOL, just started reading as usual......

So, to stay on topic, do you think we can put those little plastic bottles of cranberry juice in our luggage? DW needs to drink some each day for her health;)

As long as they are carried on the ship and not in your checked luggage, you're good to go! Hope DW enjoys that healthy drink~!!:D

Archived